Bedbugs

• (3 Pages)
  • +

40 Replies - 1441 Views - Last Post: 12 August 2010 - 01:56 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Bedbugs

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:29 AM

My son has a roommate. They have a common friend, Jay, but roommate is closer to Jay. Roommate wants Jay to hangout at apartment more but they just found out Jay's apartment has gotten bedbugs. My son does not want Jay coming over for risk of getting them in his place. Roommate says my son is being unreasonable.

I know virtually nothing about bedbug problems and the only sites I've found seem to treat such people as lepers. However, carrying bedbugs in your clothes does seem to be an issue. Does anyone have any real knowledge or experience with this? Should they not allow Jay to visit till his bedbug problem is solved?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Bedbugs

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Bedbugs

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:02 AM

Don't let the bedbugs bite!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:41 AM

They'll latch onto and be carried along on any kind of fabric, as well as getting into woodwork. your best bet to get rid of them is to gas the whole house and to hang any and all fabric up to get it full exposure as well as pulling out drawers, etc. basically you want every inch of your house exposed to poison if you've got them, and pretty much every inch of body hair has to go (eyebrows, bangs, mullet, pubes and all). vacuuming regularly also helps if I remember, and you can get things like this that can be used to disinfect clothes, bags, etc, if you suspect somebody got them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:11 PM

I like the part about dropping your body hair... total crap but still funny. Bed bugs can be carried on people, in clothes, in suit cases when you travel etc. They are nocturnal and typically come out between 1am and 5am to climb up the legs of your bed and feed on people. Their bites typically form small red bumps and are not like fleas/mosquitos... they rarely itch. You will know if you have them because they leave blood smears in your sheets. Contrary to popular belief, they rarely infest a whole house or apartment unless left untreated. They want to be close to their food (you) so they live most of their lives within 15 feet of your bed. So if you find them, don't go sleeping somewhere else, stay in your bed even if it disgusts you until you can get a professional to treat your place. If you sleep elsewhere you will most likely carry them to other parts of your house.

Bed bugs are easy to kill, but can certainly be difficult and costly to get rid of. While a lot of people don't consider them a real "pest" like rats or cockroaches are, they can certainly make you feel disgusting. They RARELY carry diseases either.

Typical treatment for getting rid of them is the following...

1) Remove clutter from your house.
2) Shake out all clothes over a trash can, then put them in the dryer for about 20 minutes (heat effectively kills them and their eggs) and then directly into trash bags.
3) Anything textile that can be put in a dryer should be put in a dryer and then into bags as well.
4) Pull all furniture away from the baseboards and remove electrical outlet covers in the infected rooms (they hide behind face plates and travel via electrical wires to neighboring apartments)
5) Check your box spring on your bed, especially in the corners and in cracks where the wood joins.
6) Call a professional to come and inspect your bed, rooms and get an estimate to spray poison. Typical costs are a few hundred dollars for two visits... they spray, come back in two weeks and spray again to catch any remaining eggs/bugs that have hatched.
7) Once sprayed, put a box spring cover over your entire box spring (about 60 dollars Canadian). This will trap them inside and eventually kill them. They can hibernate for up to a year, so the cover has to stay on for that long.
8) Lastly, put little dishes known as "climb ups" (aka "resisitors") under each leg of your bed, couch etc. Each of these dishes are covered in baby powder. Bugs crawl through the powder and lose the ability to climb up anything and thus get trapped in the dish. They are a bit costly (about 6 dollars per dish).
9) Also between treatments vacuum daily and immediately throw away the bag.

If I was your son I would make sure that Jay does not come in the house until after his place has been through the two week treatment. You don't want your son to get them in the house. Again, they are not the end of the world, but they can be costly to get rid of and a big pain in the ass to get the place in the position to be treated.

Just know that bed bugs are becoming a world pandemic right now and hitting all social classes. Even rich hotels get them and major department stores in NY have had to shut down to treat them. So it doesn't mean that the person is "filthy" or anything. Anyone can pick them up and bring them in which is why you have to be extra vigilant about keeping them out right now.

Hope this advice helps! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:17 PM

Alright.

Is there anything that Martyr2 doesn't know?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:43 PM

View Postdrhowarddrfine, on 07 August 2010 - 09:29 AM, said:

I know virtually nothing about bedbug problems and the only sites I've found seem to treat such people as lepers. Does anyone have any real knowledge or experience with this?

I can't begin to tell you how many times I've come home to find NeoTifa hiding in, or under my bed. Raid, Off, Mothballs, BugBomb, nothing seems to work. I can usually shush her out of the house with a broom, but somehow she continues to get back in.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:24 PM

I needz to nom nom on ur legz!!!!! *om nom nom nom*
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Bastard Operator From Hell
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:05 PM

View PostNeoTifa, on 07 August 2010 - 08:24 PM, said:

I needz to nom nom on ur legz!!!!! *om nom nom nom*

Foot fetish much Neo?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:09 PM

I'm no doctor, but leg != foot
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:11 PM

Or a twinkie. ho-ho

This post has been edited by Sethro117: 07 August 2010 - 08:19 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:17 PM

Fuck you, I hate Twinkies!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:25 PM

The foot bone is connected to the leg bone
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:27 PM

My foot bone is connected to your face bone.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:34 PM

I also hate feet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:51 PM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +