4 Replies - 2170 Views - Last Post: 03 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

What's the next step for a developer?

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:53 PM

Recently, I feel that I've reached a wall I need to vault over to continue improving myself. I was reading the book Pro ASP.Net MVC2 written by Steve Sanderson and he holds your hand throughout the chapters, all the while introducing Dependancy Injection and abstract interfaces.

I realized this is completely new for me and very hard for my mind to grasp and apply. Sure, I followed the code, but as all developers know there is a point where something in your mind clicks and everything is clear.

I haven't reached that point yet.

The book explains in the introduction, a couple of developer stereotypes. SmartUI developers, those who program actions within control events; the Layered developers, those that use a three-layer architecture.

I fall into the latter, but I do know professional developers that are 100% SmartUI devs. Professional meaning they are paid for creating applications.

What can a developer do to vault over this hurdle? I'm sure everyone faces it at some point. Being a good 3-layer developer, what's the next step for me?

Should I read about Dependency Injection? Should I first learn and become adept with Unit Testing and be comfortable with Test-Driven Development?

What should my next move be?

Edit: Found this great quote that I thought was worth sharing.

"Dependency Injection" is a 25-dollar term for a 5-cent concept. [...] Dependency injection means giving an object its instance variables. [...]

This post has been edited by stapia.gutierrez: 08 August 2010 - 05:54 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What's the next step for a developer?

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What's the next step for a developer?

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:16 AM

Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object Oriented Software
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:52 AM

To be honest, its the same problem that a lot of people in a a lot of professions face. Wrapping your mind around something that seems to complex for your brain is no walk in the park. It comes down to how bad do you want it? If you want it, you'll spend time on it. You'll look at examples and other sources, you'll try it out yourself. In other words you need to invest yourself in it. There is not trick to this, the human mind has limitless potential but you have to work at it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:43 PM

View PostManipulate, on 09 August 2010 - 01:52 PM, said:

To be honest, its the same problem that a lot of people in a a lot of professions face. Wrapping your mind around something that seems to complex for your brain is no walk in the park. It comes down to how bad do you want it? If you want it, you'll spend time on it. You'll look at examples and other sources, you'll try it out yourself. In other words you need to invest yourself in it. There is not trick to this, the human mind has limitless potential but you have to work at it.

Manipulate is right. Many of us hit "the wall" and need to push through. At some point though it will click for you and you'll have that "aha" moment. Just keep reading about it and focusing on examples and concepts until you get your "aha" moment.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

Dude- watch the dates on these threads! Closing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1