6 Replies - 4330 Views - Last Post: 21 August 2010 - 06:08 AM Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_Natalie*

How to go about making a MMO browser game

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:54 AM

How should I go about making a MMO browser game. I am thinking it will be text-based, like the popular game Travian (go to travian.com to see). I am not sure what language I should use. Any other helpful tidbits would be very much appreciated. I have some coding knowledge but it is very rough and I think this project would help me to improve my skills.
Thanks,
~Natalie
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0

Replies To: How to go about making a MMO browser game

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to go about making a MMO browser game

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:02 AM

This should help
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#3 Guest_Natalie*

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:08 AM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 09 August 2010 - 10:02 AM, said:

This should help

Don't try to discourage me. I know it's alot of work I'm not looking to make some huge complex game like World of Warcraft just a simple basic text based strategy game.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:22 AM

View PostNatalie, on 09 August 2010 - 11:54 AM, said:

How should I go about making a MMO browser game. I am thinking it will be text-based, like the popular game Travian (go to travian.com to see). I am not sure what language I should use. Any other helpful tidbits would be very much appreciated. I have some coding knowledge but it is very rough and I think this project would help me to improve my skills.
Thanks,
~Natalie

View PostNatalie, on 09 August 2010 - 12:08 PM, said:

This should help

Don't try to discourage me. I know it's alot of work I'm not looking to make some huge complex game like World of Warcraft just a simple basic text based strategy game.

Thanks psychocoder for the post Romeos lunch laugh. It smells like queso.

Regarding OP:
- Do you know how to program?
- What languages do you know?
- Are you talking about something like 'kingdom of loathing'?

Text only, eh? Well PHP and MYSQL would be a quick pickup... both are free.

Regarding the rest of it I would suggest sitting down with a spiral notebook and getting all the major information mapped out.

Specifically the section under: My link1. Planning and Requirements would need to be answered.

To quote Ruby Rod: "Is everything green?".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Guest_Natalie*

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:42 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 09 August 2010 - 10:22 AM, said:

View PostNatalie, on 09 August 2010 - 11:54 AM, said:

Thanks,
~Natalie

View PostNatalie, on 09 August 2010 - 12:08 PM, said:

This should help

Thanks psychocoder for the post Romeos lunch laugh. It smells like queso.

Regarding OP:
- Do you know how to program?
- What languages do you know?
- Are you talking about something like 'kingdom of loathing'?

Text only, eh? Well PHP and MYSQL would be a quick pickup... both are free.

Regarding the rest of it I would suggest sitting down with a spiral notebook and getting all the major information mapped out.

Specifically the section under: My link1. Planning and Requirements would need to be answered.

To quote Ruby Rod: "Is everything green?".

Yeah something sorta similar to the game Kingdom of loathing. My mother is a web designer and so I've helped her out on occasion mostly php and Html code I wouldnt say I know the language but I sorta understand it if you know what I mean. Thanks for the advice too
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:56 PM

hi there,

first and formost i think the most important thing is to have an idea. You could know all the languages under the sun but witthout an idea your not going anywhere.

programming language wise i would go for the php/mysql route. As stated before its free and theres a vast number of tutorials on learning it wich are also free.

Not sure about text based games but theres a couple of rts mmo projects called xnova, xnova-ng and xnovaredesigned. These are all clones of the web based rts called ogame.

The good point about this is you can set it up and see it running and pull the code apart and see what makes it tick. I have found it very useful in that sense.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:08 AM

Learn PHP and MySQL. All you are really doing is presenting web pages based on particular variables. So once you know how to manipulate a web page using PHP and get/set data with MySQL, the rest will carry out itself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1