CEO Pulls Power Card

Page 1 of 1

10 Replies - 1017 Views - Last Post: 13 August 2010 - 06:30 AM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Getting the Shaft

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:14 AM

Here is my situation. I am an analyst and a developer. I currently work on two high profile projects at my company. One is a global project and the second is regional(North America). The global project has many resources working on it and the work load is spread out evenly. The regional project has to do with "data visualization" and is something fairly new at our company, so there are no standards at the time being. We ran through the gauntlet of infrastructure and security teams during our design phase. Our pre-reqs are all in line then the president of the company comes along and demands something out of the standard. Anyone else have situations like this?

Note: We are a global company which is a subsidiary. When I say president I mean president of the subsidiary company.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Getting the Shaft

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Getting the Shaft

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:45 AM

"something out of the standard"

Does this mean he wants something you don't normally do?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:52 AM

A standard is a document that contains all items that you develop, support, and purchase (hardware). This is something that is used as a reference during the requirement gathering process when there is a new user that wants your service. By out of standard I meant his people previously agreed to the design and now he wants it a different way. If it were a normal person they would have to start a whole new service request, but since he is the president he gets what he wants. Keep in mind that our company hawks us about creating standards to prevent things like this from happening.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:07 AM

Is he tech minded or is he one of those people who think they have great ideas all the time?

Option 1: Tell him to go through the process. Possible negative consequences.
Option 2: Cave in and destroy the whole process. i.e. Modification on the fly defeats the purpose of a standard.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:34 AM

I was the only person in the meeting that said something, but there is no option for fighting this. Some of our upper IS management was talking about denying some of his requests.

He is an engineer. All of our manufacturing management are/where engineers. Our service isn't production critical, that is why I am so unhappy about the whole situation. If not having this service was going to stop production, by all means get it to him ASAP, but if it is just a support item that will make is day-to-day a little easier why not take this opportunity to set a good example?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:04 AM

Tell him "yes sir, we'll get on that right away. We just need you to go through the process so that you don't have any Possible negative consequences."

Would that work?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:35 AM

Would be nice. We're already doing a lot of re-work on things he forced down our throats from previous tasks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:11 AM

In my line of work, "getting the shaft" me something totally different. That sucks. :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:43 PM

It sucks when some one high up makes requests after the fact. Did you guys get the standards document signed by all parties? That usually helps, even when the top brass wants something reworked. Then you can always go back to the signed document and say, "we have the standards document, signed by all parties, and this was not included. we can include it on the next version."

Also, what is the management style at your company? If you have good supportive managers, who know whats going on, they will help take up your cause.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:14 AM

The one project I am on was requested and pushed by the CEO. He had a walk through planned for the given manufacturing site at the end of April and we were notified of his request at the beginning of April. He told the CIO he wanted to see the stuff we were working on up and running by the time he did his walkthrough. To have a fighting chance of doing this we had to cut a lot of corners and we had the "This is for the president" card working for us so people were doing everything they could to help.

We had the product out and running in production before the project was at E-Plan.50% of our time is going back and fixing the skid marks we left behind.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:30 AM

Your CIO didn't stand up for you? Gonna take a guess and say that your managers wanted to kiss some ass instead of following your standard operating procedures. At my company, also global, we report to the CFO (we have a great working relationship with him) and he understands that some requests are just not possible in the time frame asked. He does metric the hell out of us to make sure our procedures are efficient. It all goes back to the management style of the company. If you get a chance you should check out some of the work Ken Blanchard has done on Situational Leadership 2.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1