• (3 Pages)
  • +

32 Replies - 3339 Views - Last Post: 21 August 2010 - 07:43 AM

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Im done

Posted 14 August 2010 - 05:59 AM

I've been apart of this community for a year now and been coding for about 4-5 off and on. I've learned a lot on here and through my years of trial and error but I've come to the conclusion it no longer interests me and not really motivated to do it. Do yall ever get in this kind of stage and come out of it? I loved to code and loved the stimulation and creativity I would sometimes find or the "awe" moment when something clicked but the last couple months have just been kinda bleh.

This has gotten so bad that I've also decided to switch my degree from Software Development to Security. I'll probably still do some scripting as my job calls for it and maybe a couple freelance gigs here and there but it just sucks because I dont know if I'll ever get back to the point where I love to code like I used to.

What do yall do when you get to a stage like this?

EDIT: I'm leaving DIC, I like yall to much.

EDIT AGAIN: Im not leaving DIC.

This post has been edited by Sethro117: 14 August 2010 - 06:11 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Im done

#2 GWatt  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Re: Im done

Posted 14 August 2010 - 06:08 AM

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. My change was a little more drastic as I went from being a music performance major (trumpet) to computer science.
To give you an idea, I played for 10 years. I have 3 trumpets; a B-flat, C, and piccolo trumpet. I took lessons, was in youth symphony orchestras, and went to music camps. It was a huge part of my life. When you're no longer interested you can't force yourself to do something. Now I hardly touch my horns.

[edit]
good luck and goodbye.
[edit]
good luck with your new major.

This post has been edited by GWatt: 14 August 2010 - 06:18 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2010 - 06:15 AM

Good bye and good luck with your degree switch. I hope you'll find yourself more comfortable with security. Anyways, you don't really have to leave us, you know. You can still stick around in the Caffeine Lounge when you're free. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2010 - 06:31 AM

Yea I edited it again to say Im not leaving DIC. That was never my intention, I've been up all night debating this and tired so I forgot a word. I am staying.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:37 AM

Perhaps you just need a break from coding. Take some time to smell the roses so to speak. That is why a lot of software developers I've seen now have break rooms with Playstations, pool tables, etc. We weren't meant to code 24/7, except for maybe PsychoCoder. If you are constantly coding you will burn out and get to this stage. Your brain is trying to tell you it needs a break, take the break.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:59 AM

I switch back and forth between mathematics and programming, so it doesn't get stale.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:46 AM

I've been apart of this community for a year now and been coding for about 4-5 off and on.

I've also decided to switch my degree from Software Development to Security.

I'm confused. Do you code for a living, or are you bored with coding before you've even gotten out of school?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:50 AM

http://www.livejournal.com

I think most programmers have been through this at least once. I say most because I know I haven't and Martyr2 probably hasn't, but it does happen. I say before making such a drastic move that you might regret later (such as changing majors) give it some time and see if your attitude changes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:54 AM

You can always just hang out in the lounge with the rest of the cool kids :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:30 AM

View PosttlhIn, on 14 August 2010 - 08:46 AM, said:

I'm confused. Do you code for a living, or are you bored with coding before you've even gotten out of school?

I've been coding professionally for about a 1 and a half years now in both for my job and freelance stuff I do. The 4-5 years is counting what I done through high school and up until now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:07 PM

To keep myself from being bored, i do take regular breaks from coding, or sometimes i just dive into something that's interesting to me to keep me hooked up. For example i may dive into different paradigms or maybe study different data structures and algorithms, or maybe work on my problem solving, and apply it to programming, I also regularly solve problems on online judges which is very amusing to me. Recently I've also been interested in low level programming, and soon i would like to put together some pieces of hardware and mess around with them.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• binary decision maker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:35 PM

I've come at this from a different angle - I spent most of my life coding for fun and worried that if I took it up as a career I'd become one of those people who can't face it when they get home from work. Two years later and that's happened to me a couple of times, but it always passes after a few days.

What I mean is that, sure, everyone's different, but if you loved it before I think you will again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:40 PM

Though I'm not a strong coder, I don't think there has ever been a time where I've been burned out by it. Even though I primarily work with hardware, I still write code every day, even weekends & holidays. I can honestly say that I've never had a feeling of being burned out from coding, or any computer related aspects.

Glad to read that you are not leaving the Dream In Code community! :D :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:22 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 14 August 2010 - 02:40 PM, said:

Though I'm not a strong coder, I don't think there has ever been a time where I've been burned out by it. Even though I primarily work with hardware, I still write code every day, even weekends & holidays. I can honestly say that I've never had a feeling of being burned out from coding, or any computer related aspects.

Glad to read that you are not leaving the Dream In Code community! :D :^:

This was also pretty much my reply as well. I only code occasionally though. I leik to maek pretty circutz and wirez lulz.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:27 PM

Do they make you write documentation?

Hai. Dis be mai circuit! lulz

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +