6 Replies - 729 Views - Last Post: 17 August 2010 - 06:43 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

a question related to choosing field in CS

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:41 AM

hello,
I have just finished my high school and know i am planning to continue my studies in computer science because i like it specially coding and developing software, but in my country there are no software developing companies and companies here rarely need people like me what they may need is an IT or IS graduate person,

My questions are:
- What are exactly the fields of computer science ??
- How does the curriculum goes on? do you study general CS for 2 years then select a field or it is from the beginning you have to choose one ?
- Is it possible to study one field and then switch to another one similar to IT because i want to be employed when i graduate and then at the right time i want to establish my own small company for software development

thank you,

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: a question related to choosing field in CS

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: a question related to choosing field in CS

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:47 AM

WTF?! First off, this may be the wrong forum. Second, what country doesn't have CS fields?!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:47 AM

Moved to Student Campus
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Garbage Collector

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:58 AM

Sounds like your best bet for future success in your country is pursuing a degree in IT.

Could you possibly major in IT, and minor in CS? That way you'll learn what you'll need in the near future and have the degree to prove it, but you'll also have a little bit of CS knowledge and can do some projects on your own.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Baller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:53 AM

If your country doesn't have much in the way of programming work their CS degree structure may be significantly different than what the most of us have. In in different schools here this is handled differently. At my current school you are required to have determined a concentration for your degree by your 3rd year. We do actually have a couple of concentrations that are geared more towards the IT field but still provide all of the CS fundamentals. Also a lot more indepth than what seems to be the standard MIS curriculum.

What country are you in? Any chance of going abroad for programming work?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:57 AM

View PostSpeedisaVirus, on 16 August 2010 - 10:53 AM, said:

If your country doesn't have much in the way of programming work their CS degree structure may be significantly different than what the most of us have. In in different schools here this is handled differently. At my current school you are required to have determined a concentration for your degree by your 3rd year. We do actually have a couple of concentrations that are geared more towards the IT field but still provide all of the CS fundamentals. Also a lot more indepth than what seems to be the standard MIS curriculum.

What country are you in? Any chance of going abroad for programming work?

No i am not planning to study here, my plans were to go to the US or Canada for my studies, and i have no plans to go abroad for programming work.

my question is: can i study two fields in CS ie, one which help me to do an IT person's job as well as programming?? or it is better to just study IT and then collect courses from here and there for CS??

View PosteZACKe, on 16 August 2010 - 04:58 AM, said:

Sounds like your best bet for future success in your country is pursuing a degree in IT.

Could you possibly major in IT, and minor in CS? That way you'll learn what you'll need in the near future and have the degree to prove it, but you'll also have a little bit of CS knowledge and can do some projects on your own.

what did you mean by "major in IT, and minor in CS"? did you mean for eg: take a bachelor degree in IT and collect courses for CS ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Baller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:43 AM

You can study whatever you want. There is usually a range of electives to choose from for that very reason. If you study CS, I'd wager your core course work consisting of theory and math won't help you much if at all in most standard IT jobs.

Also...if you said what country you were in you might find someone here that has similar experiences since you it seems as if you intend to work in your home country after your education.

This post has been edited by SpeedisaVirus: 17 August 2010 - 06:44 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1