8 Replies - 749 Views - Last Post: 19 August 2010 - 01:20 AM

#1 Guest_Guest*

how is this idea

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:20 PM

so i am not the greatest with c# (what i always code in) but was thinking of starting a small .net dev team sat my school. just for silly little projects nothign huge. would be a great way to meet people, build our portfolios, and learn some things. but i am wondering since im not super advanced with the language would it even be worth it to do?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0

Replies To: how is this idea

#2 Martyr2  Icon User is online

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: how is this idea

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:24 PM

Most certainly. You don't have to be the best to start the group. If you just come up front saying that you are still learning and foster an environment of learning and exploring, I am sure you will learn a lot. Especially if you are the type of person who learns a lot from doing rather than just talking about it. In other words, a visual learner. If I was to do high school all over again and go with what I know now, I would have started my own group too.

I say go for it 100%! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:25 PM

even if you're not good with anything, doesn't even have to be programming (just whatever it is you love to do), then i say it's totally worth it in the long run. :D mostly being that you will indefinitely get better as you play with it and practice with it and understand it more and more. If you have some buddies to do so too, then you can all learn from each other and build upon each other like a good team. especially if each of you have different abilities and are better at one part of the language than the others are. But it's kind of like starting a musical band. You and some friends suck at life at playing whatever music you want to play, and especially doing it together. But, over time and practice, you, and your friends, all get better, eventually playing like any other good band would. or it's like starting a club for a vocal language you love, such as the way i love German. if i started a German club, not many people could do well with it (where i live), but with research and effort, we could improve vastly together. :D So, yes, i think you should totally follow your dreams man. :)

This post has been edited by Zekorov: 16 August 2010 - 02:27 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:36 PM

Do it! I wish there was a group at my school!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:10 PM

Most certainly do it, I work now in a small start up company with some friends. We are only 7 employees, and most of the work is in ruby on rails. When I first joined, I knew NOTHING about ruby or rails, so i just learned the basics from some tutorials here and there, but on like the 3rd day, they started giving me some real work to do for our clients. I did some stuff for vodafone which is one of our clients, and now we are working on a project for the European union. The vodafone stuff was quite simple, the EU project is much more complicated especially that i didn't have enough experience with rails, but i still was able to finish up my tasks nicely done, because in our team we love what we do, and we are motivated. You can also have yourself a small team and work together on projects, that would help you a lot for building your portfolio, you will gain experience as a developer, you will gain experience in managing your projects, and you will gain social skills since you will be working within a team, and that can help you when you work in a company later on. Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:38 AM

Go for it! But bear in mind... The reason why groups split up, and web projects fail is because people lose motivation after a while. If you make a group of 10 and 5 people get bored after a week, don't give up. Don't expect everyone to stick around and be devoted as you are. I learned alot doing 1on1 with my assistant, we did a couple of tasks together. There's always something you know and the other guy doesn't and vice versa. So, it doesn't matter how many people are you working with, or how many leave the first week... Just GROUP with someone, that's the way to go.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 Guest_Guest*

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:56 AM

so i think i will do it but problem is how to advertise it to get the interest of people? i got one person who is going to help do daily planning, documents, etc even though they know really nothing about programming or computers. then again i talk to this person on a daily basis so i don't really count them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:30 PM

Talk to the administration of the school to get some flyers posted and to get announcements made on the overhead system about a first meeting. You can also make announcements in your classes or do a campaign around the school.

Make this a club that people might be willing to put down on their first resumé.

You should be advertising the same way class officers advertise in your school.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "ADDICTED"[2:5]
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:20 AM

I think if you do this, you do it with code review as the focus.

So, make a coding circle. Everyone knows who's to their left.

Everyone designs together. I suggest you guys pick a small project a week - just a small console app that can be written in a couple hours.

Then, everyone splits up and writes their code. So, with a group of 5, there's 5 different versions of the same application.

When everyone's done (and helping people is best but don't just give it all away), pass the code left. This person reviews your code and writes what should be changed. Then, they give it back to you. You write the new code based on their feedback. Then you give it back to them. They then pass that code to their left. Every time, you receive the code back and redo it.

This goes on until everyone has reviewed everyone's code and everyone's code is probably the same exact stuff by now.

Now, meet as a team again. Address your weak points. For the more experienced among you, let them say what they had to hit most for reviews. Was it comments? Was it variable names? Was it logic? Let's hit those problem spots hard.

Make a new project that attempts to test against it. The first one was benchmarking but now you can play a points game. Anyone who breaks a "common review error" gets a point. Whoever has the most points buys lunch for everyone or something.

I dunno. Regardless, follow at least a little of my plan and you guys will be rock star bad ass developers in absolutely no time at all.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1