• +
  • Last »

138 Replies - 5771 Views - Last Post: 25 August 2010 - 02:49 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Will Piracy ever stop?

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:38 AM

Have you ever wondered???

Post your view and insight about the title.

Will piracy ever stop???
Why or why not????
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Will Piracy ever stop?

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Will Piracy ever stop?

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:46 AM

Personally I doubt it will ever stop.

We looked at doing business in Asian countries. The normal mindset is that hacking/breaking/pirating is normal. If the developer didn't do enough work to stop their product from being hacked then it is the fault of the developer. It is not seen as wrong on the part of the hacker. So we just refuse to do business with Asian locations.

The best one can do is spend a lot of time making their product as strong as possible. Make it financially unreasonable to invest $10,000 in breaking/reverse-engineering your $200 product.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

Sadly it will never stop. It is not limited to software either. Take a look at the torrents around. 99% of them are of copyrighted material and are pirated. Everything from software to books to music to movies, it is all being pirated. This says something about humans and I personally don't like it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:53 AM

Man this guy really wants to win one of those laptops.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:59 AM

What the ef? Who are you and why are you spamming the lounge? Laptops? That reminds me, I need to check that thread out!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:02 AM

As long as DRM of any kind tells me what I can or can't do with my purchase, I'll continue to pirate things. When I buy a game, I'm buying the game, not licensing it from you.

Things I pirate:
Movies - fuck you and your 30 warning screens. fuck you to hell.
Some games

Things I don't pirate:
Software
Books

This post has been edited by Sergio Tapia: 17 August 2010 - 11:03 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:05 AM

In reply to your spammy post. <insert plug for laptop>

There is a difference between a hacker and cracker. I wish the media and people not in the know would stop confusing the two as it gives hackers a bad rap.

Hacking is not about breaking into your computer and stealing your codez. hacking is about exploration and learning.
Hacking is not just restricted to computers.

Mechanics can be considered hackers when they take apart and rebuild engines.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• binary decision maker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:12 AM

Not until people stop charging for software.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:21 AM

However lazy the topic creator was, I find this an interesting subject.

I think that piracy (like most of these things) grew out of frustration about sky-rocket prices for stuff like music, books, software or whatever. I really don't know how this topic is beeing handled/debated in the US, but here in sweden it's been a heated topic for quite awhile now. Just last year the government voted through a law that lets certain private actors (book, software record companies etc.) look up and store data of IP-adresses in p2p-networks. Now that's something that not even the swedish police could do without a court's permission.

I think that it's scary when the government tries to strangle new technology instead of embracing it and try to make something productive out of it.

I mean, just have a look at spotify. They took some of the "piracy" techniques and made something out of it that is both legal, but most important, something that benefits both the users, and the artists/creators.
If just the government had taken the effort to develop a solution like that from the beginning, I think the problem with piracy would not ever have grown as big as it is.

Bottom Line: If one problem(piracy) rises out of another problem(prices, accessability etc.), you have to eliminate the bigger problem on order to get to the last problem.

Just my 2c.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:43 AM

I'll admit to "trying before I buy". I don't do software or games though. Too much work for to be stealing. Though I have done like RPGMaker, but I didn't like it, so I deleted it. But that's what I do. I pay for it if I like it, eventually, but if I don't like it, I delete it off my computer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:52 AM

As long as there be survey dogs, & villages to be plunder'n & loot'n, then thar be Pirates, AHOY!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:07 PM

It'll never stop. As a Malaysian, I can tell you this...piracy is VERY popular here. There's even a street here with full of shops that sell pirated CDs, DVDs and even games and software discs. Yeah, one whole kilometer of shops with pirated goods. And sometimes, you can see policemen shopping for pirated stuff there. This is a really common phenomenon in Malaysia, and it seems like no one's giving any shit about it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:09 PM

Piracy will never stop, but it shouldn't stop. Piracy is the new wave of productivity. The only thing that hasn't happened (or at least not in the mainstream) is that people haven't figured out how to take advantage of it.

Here's a short list of ways to take advantage of piracy (all white-hat):

physical goods
-quality control on the companies 'pirating' your products, so that you have 0 production cost, you still make money (quality control shouldn't be free but it should be available on credit, especially for small operations), and your good name isn't tarnished by people perceiving pirated goods as legitimate

-distributed production so that you have less cost shipping, or perhaps where one factory makes all of one kind of part and another makes the rest, due to different equipment or setups, and only half the stuff has to be shipped (although both ways), on a contract basis or a per-job bases. this also allows for lower production costs for the company being pirated and higher profits for the pirating company. win-win

digital goodsgames, movies, music, books, software

Everybody in asia who has a computer has photoshop. I don't care if they're running linux- they have a relatively new copy of the latest version, and DRM isn't doing a damn thing to stop it. Everybody wants this product, and it makes no sense to segment the market in such a way that 99% of people in the world can't realistically afford to buy the real thing (not creative suite- just photoshop). This is completely undefensible, both logically and financially. Logically it makes no sense to have a piece of software and then say "you can only buy the shitty version [photoshop elements] because this is very powerful". It might have made sense, say, 50 years ago- and maybe even 30 years ago- when print media and graphics were things that had to be chemically etched into plates of metal by skilled engravers who then died of exotic lung diseases from all the fumes they spent a life time inhaling- but no more. now it costs roughly a few dollars for the bandwidth to download a suite of software capable of making any kind of image, and yet the pricing scheme still runs in the thousands of dollars, as if they are still trying to look legitimate by being expensive.

Financially it makes no sense because if they gave the entire CS5 suite away for 10 bucks a pop as a download on their site, they would be making the same or a greater amount of money as they are now. there are billions of people in china alone, just over a billion in india- so lets do the math, using generous statistics: 1/10 people can probably afford a computer, 1/50 can probably afford two (good) computers, and there are enough internet cafes for every 8th person to have a computer, divided up (or, with a combined population of 5 billion people, roughly 625 million computers) - and so with a combined number of computers numbering 1.225 billion , each downloading photoshop (instead of pirating it) because it's the same price they'd buy it pirated at the local market, Adobe inc would have a revenue of 12.25 billion dollars with NO associated production costs above what it is already incurring.

This same thing could be said of DVD's, music, books, and so on. look at the itunes store and the kindle library- hell, look at scribd. lots of books are pirated, sure, but a lot more are for sale, same with music, games, etc. these are all real options for buying stuff legally online, the only barrier is the price- which, lets face it, they're still too high for most of the world to find them worth bothering with. 10 dollars for an e-book on kindle might be pocket change there, but it's a days wages here- are you going to spend all the money you made in 8-10 hours of work on a book you aren't even sure you'll like? of course not. and until the prices become pocket change for most of the world, piracy is going to happen in most of the world.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:12 PM

Bingo.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:15 PM

View PostCuzzie, on 17 August 2010 - 01:07 PM, said:

There's even a street here with full of shops that sell pirated CDs, DVDs and even games and software discs. Yeah, one whole kilometer of shops with pirated goods.

An entire street? You've obviously never been to China Town in New York City :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »