10 Replies - 1978 Views - Last Post: 19 August 2010 - 10:07 AM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Getting involved in open-source projects

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:27 PM

I'd like to get involved in one or two open-source projects this year so I can have some concrete, real-world experience in software development by the time I graduate from school. I'd ideally like to get involved in a project which is just getting started so that I can have experience in the entire SDLC.

But even though there seem to be a plethora of them on sourceforge and similar sites, most of them have already been released, and it's been difficult to find a project that is both worthwhile to work on and is just getting off the ground.

So I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction in terms of finding such projects to get involved in. Where are some good places to look for them?

Thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Getting involved in open-source projects

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Getting involved in open-source projects

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:46 PM

Identify a subject that interests you. Search for a program that relates to that area. Start working on that.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:51 AM

Yes, but that's exactly what I've been doing. The problem, as I've mentioned, is that I haven't really been able to find anything because I don't know where to look. Hence my question: where are some good places to look for open-source projects that are just getting off the ground?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:07 AM

Codeplex.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:17 AM

Sourceforge and Github are great places to look.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:11 AM

View PostRaynes, on 18 August 2010 - 10:17 AM, said:

As I've mentioned, I've tried these places. The problem is, the vast majority of programs there are already in release. Yes there is a list of recently created projects but it is filled with tiny, useless ones, and it's impossible to sort through them all to see which would be worthwhile to work on and actually need people.

What I'm looking for is some sort of community or place where people pitch project ideas and look for coders to get on board and get things started. Or some way to sort through everything and find projects that are both fresh and worthwhile, and looking for coders.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:30 PM

You could try finding a piece of open-source software you like using, then contributing to that (Eclipse for example)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:04 PM

View Postscalt, on 18 August 2010 - 03:30 PM, said:

You could try finding a piece of open-source software you like using, then contributing to that (Eclipse for example)

Like I said, I want to get involved in a project from the beginning, so I can have experience through the entire SDLC, not just the tail end of it where there's not much to do besides debugging.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:12 PM

Contributing doesn't necessarily mean debugging. The great thing about something like is Eclipse is that it is so modular you could create an entire sub-project around developing something new for it so you would go through the entire SDLC for that bit. You would also get access to a pretty good community who would be willing to help you out.

Have you thought of championing your own project? If you pitched an idea you may get a few people on DIC (or other forums) who would jump in a team with you
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:11 PM

View PostAllophyl, on 18 August 2010 - 09:11 AM, said:

View PostRaynes, on 18 August 2010 - 10:17 AM, said:

As I've mentioned, I've tried these places. The problem is, the vast majority of programs there are already in release. Yes there is a list of recently created projects but it is filled with tiny, useless ones, and it's impossible to sort through them all to see which would be worthwhile to work on and actually need people.

What I'm looking for is some sort of community or place where people pitch project ideas and look for coders to get on board and get things started. Or some way to sort through everything and find projects that are both fresh and worthwhile, and looking for coders.

I don't know of any sites like that right off hand. We have a Share Your Project forum where people occasionally do that sort of thing.

All I can recommend is that you "insert" yourself into the community of your chosen language. Join the IRC channel, some mailing lists, various forums, and make yourself some friends in the communities of your chosen languages. In my humble opinion, this is the best way to find out about new projects and find a place contributing to them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:07 AM

What I'm looking for is some sort of community or place where people pitch project ideas and look for coders to get on board and get things started.
You won't really find this. Unless you look on job sites or freelance sites, where people are backing up their offers with money.

You can find those kind of requests on forums, such as the above mentioned share your project forum. A few other programming forums have such dedicated subforums. You may also find something similar on code hosting sites. I know Sourceforge has one area to post programmer requests, although it's a bit unintuitive to find that page on their site.

Or some way to sort through everything and find projects that are both fresh and worthwhile, and looking for coders.
However, you really won't find this when it comes to new projects. Worthwhile projects aren't driven by idea people. They are driven by idea people with skills, and they don't open up with, "I have an idea, join me".

Which is why the best things you can do are start your own. You can do some from scratch, or you can fork someone else's idea and codebase (keeping the licenses compatible, of course). Is this in any way not acceptable? if so, why not?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1