Text-based games?

What languages?

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 572 Views - Last Post: 18 August 2010 - 11:46 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Text-based games?

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:41 PM

I am thinking about a SIM game? And what languages would you use? What should I learn, or be aware of, ect? And any tips or anything for this? I just need tips, ect, oh and yes, any good sites for this sort of game or tutorials on here, or elsewhere? Thank you <3

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Text-based games?

• Barbarbar
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Text-based games?

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:03 PM

You can build a text-based game in a fair number of languages - PHP's the most popular, but there are also a number of games built with Perl, Python, and Ruby.

If you haven't done any programming before, I would recommend that you buy a book (or work through some basic tutorials) on the language that you're considering, and then decide whether that's the language you'll feel comfortable building your game in. If it isn't, pick another language and try again - because once you settle on a language, it'll take you a lot longer to switch languages in the middle of the project than it would have at the beginning.

gamedev.net is a pretty good resource for game development, although geared a little more towards desktop games - you may also want to poke through the links on pbbg.org's links page.

Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Text-based games?

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:46 PM

Oh thanks! Thats really helped! I will take a look about Perl and all the other languages. I already knew about PHP and I had ordered a book about PHP and MySQL, so I would look up tutorials for other languages and look at the web development site, thank you ;D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1