7 Replies - 856 Views - Last Post: 23 August 2010 - 06:51 AM

Poll: Help me choose (5 member(s) have cast votes)

Which one do you like better

1. Home_Style 1.jpg (5 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. Home_Style 2.jpg (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Help Me Decide on the New Home Page for a Client

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:10 AM

Recently my company, Cage Data started migrating a site into Mura CMS, a great Content Management System built by the Blueriver Interactive Group. We were keeping most of the site design the same with a few minor changes. One page we are changing though is the home page. We want it to be more user friendly. We have come down to two layouts for the page.

While looking at the two layouts keep in mind that each section of the star will be a link to another page on their website.

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image
  • Attached Image

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Help Me Decide on the New Home Page for a Client

#2 Martyr2  Icon User is online

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Help Me Decide on the New Home Page for a Client

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:16 AM

I am very much in favor of the one on the left where the mission statement is on the left side with the star on the right. The page is better broken up and seems to be better in that it doesn't feel like everything was just centered. The last thing a visitor wants to see is everything centered on a page from top to bottom.

That is just my two cents. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:56 PM

I'm not a fan of either of them, it looks like something a High School designer would make. Overly simple without being minimalistic, too much color usage, ineffective font choice for the menus, ineffective use of whitespace for content readability, poor use of gradients, centered text that detracts from page flow.

Overall you really need to work on design skills before you get into any more clients.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:06 PM

Totally disagree with Lemur.

Its actually not too bad. The fonts on the menu navigation need redone, they are kinda pixly. Other than that very unique and wouldnt be bad for certain companies. Not proffesional by any standards, kinda reminds me of a non-profit fund raising type of thing for some reason. These kinds of designs are good for attracting people that are looking to donate studies have shown. Its not very detailed or complicated so overall not bad. Like i said its not proffesional looking, but as long as its not a hardcore business or anything, maybe like a learning group or something. lol

7/10 here!

(Dont get discouraged by others, keep at it!)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:20 PM

@SoloFrog, it is always a mistake to downplay what needs to be fixed to reach a pro standard. People need to improve and by far the best way is to get honest critique instead of a pat on the head and good job. You need to be honest with people or they never improve, that's all there is to it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:16 AM

@Lemur - If his clients (new and old) find his design skills adequate for thier needs then they will use him, if they feel that they require a "better" designer they will source one. Please dont take my comments out of context. I am stating an opinion not starting an argument.

@OP - While I dislike to be harsh about your skills, Lemur has some substance to his statement, your design skills are lacking however, that said, you can only progress by doing it, you will progress faster working for real clients than just playing with your own designs.

To answer your original question, the left one, in my opinion, is the better. It uses the avalible space better than the right hand side design.

Side note: avoid using images for the navigation buttons. Use a standard font and put the whole navigation in a list (ul, li etc). If the navigation is 100% integral to the design and you have to have fancy fonts etc, use somthing like siFr (dynamic text replacement using Javascript and Flash).

Keep at it, you will get there eventually.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:29 AM

I was never asking which design is better. I did not do the design. The client is running on a low budget and they provided the base design (colors, fonts, and one of the layouts). The only thing that the project could afford to do was edit the layout a bit. When translated to code the custom fonts will either be changed to webkit fonts or standard fonts.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:51 AM

I was saying for future reference.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -