Web Application Memory Usage

How much memory does a typical ASP.net application use?

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 5610 Views - Last Post: 19 August 2010 - 05:07 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Web Application Memory Usage

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:39 PM

I am using a hosting service that allows only 100MB of memory usage before it recycles the application. Is this something that is a normal amount of RAM for a asp.net web application? I run reports from an Access DB and and pass session variables in this application. What is the average memory use for a full application? If 100MB is reasonable, any suggestions on how to optimize my application to run with less memory than this?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Web Application Memory Usage

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Web Application Memory Usage

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:01 PM

100 MB is quite a lot of memory for a web application. No reason to even come close to this. If you are, then your code needs to be optimized or you are using too many external resource files like images, video, audio, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Web Application Memory Usage

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:07 PM

View Postkennyhosey, on 19 August 2010 - 01:39 PM, said:

I am using a hosting service that allows only 100MB of memory usage before it recycles the application. Is this something that is a normal amount of RAM for a asp.net web application? I run reports from an Access DB and and pass session variables in this application. What is the average memory use for a full application? If 100MB is reasonable, any suggestions on how to optimize my application to run with less memory than this?

If large amounts of data is being generated that gets stored in the Session, then you may want to look into using ASP .NET Cache. I recently came across a similar situation where users would upload excel data via a web portal that we support. One user in particalur was uploading a spread sheet with close to 30K rows. The spread sheet data was being dumped into a DataTable (ADO .NET) and being passed around in the Session. This was crashing the application with out of memory exceptions. I modified the application to store the DataTable in Cache instead of Session and the out of memory exception went away. The Cache in ASP .NET scales a lot better then Session. There are some things that you need to consider though when using cache. Data in cache can be accessed accross Sessions so you will need to create a unique identifier for the data being stored to keep it from being overwritten. Here are some helpful links (hopefully):
http://msdn.microsof...c(v=VS.90).aspx
http://msdn.microsof...estpract_topic4

This post has been edited by keakTheGEEK: 19 August 2010 - 05:11 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1