Is there any easy way to connect a database in vb.net without changing

  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3

31 Replies - 3769 Views - Last Post: 28 August 2010 - 06:50 AM Rate Topic: -----

#1 Kairi  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 107
  • Joined: 02-October 09

Is there any easy way to connect a database in vb.net without changing

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:07 AM

First off So Sorry for title, not sure how to place it in a easier context.

I know i made another topic about this but well i guess i should explain better. Sorry if i confuse everyone about this and i'll try to explain best i can.

So here goes, I am a college student and well in my college our lecturer has specific standards. She wanted us to use SQL Plus in order to connect to VB.NET but the problem is I don't have that program at home (as in that i mean the SQL PLUS program, i have VB.Net already just missing the other progam) and considering i have so much coding done using the program in college i can't change it now.

I am a very slow learner so be sure to explain nice and clear and i hope you can help me without the need of me going off and change entire code each time. I know there is easier ways and less code to do things properly but i'm afraid even when i'd love other ways that save in code the lecturer won't pass me on that, i even have to present it too so i need to know to explain things clearly.

Alright here to the question,

I have went through tutorials and keep getting more and more confused each time.

All i want is if there is any way of using my sql script that i already done using notepad and use it within another available program i already have at home without the use of changing entire code in order to execute it when i wanna do other event procedures such as deleting records and so forth?

If you need the code behind on form be sure to ask me and be warned it is super long in code and it is all that is behind each button but if ya like i might be able to break it up individually best i can.

I only have a week and a few days to do this and only need to complete these tasks

UPDATE
DELETE
AMEND
SHOW DATA GRID
ADD

In order to pass so that is only a few forms. I think that is what she is asking by the email but i can't remember anything else.
Please help me i am desperate and got a tutor to help me before with all this and i failed regardless with only 15%. I even stressed and panicked and overworked myself trying to figure things out. I even made some topics here as well but considering that i had exams as well to study for i never really got time to get into things further.

Please help, i am stressing out, got family issues and the list of things are doing my head in like i wanna kill myself (figure of speech there)

I will be ever grateful to ya guys or whoever helps me the best.

This post has been edited by Kairi: 21 August 2010 - 06:09 AM


Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is there any easy way to connect a database in vb.net without changing

#2 Martyr2  Icon User is offline

  • Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

Reputation: 4307
  • View blog
  • Posts: 12,085
  • Joined: 18-April 07

Re: Is there any easy way to connect a database in vb.net without changing

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:34 AM

First of all SQL Plus is a tool that allows you to run queries and manipulate the Oracle database. It directly has nothing to do with VB.NET. You use SQL Plus to modify records on the database and then use VB.NET to access the database and read/update/delete records and run queries. SQL Plus just allows you to manipulate the database quickly and easily when your application is not fully done yet.

Secondly, doesn't your college have an open computer lab with SQL Plus installed? Typically colleges that run Comp Sci programs have long computer lab hours (mine was 24/7) and you can use SQL Plus there along with your program to finish. So I would ask about that.

Third, I don't know if you have the entire environment setup on your computer or not (or if you can connect to the database at school which typically you can't because they firewall this stuff off) but you will need to have Oracle and SQL Plus installed on your computer. Then you will need to load up the database tables you have been working on to it.

Given your lack of time and need to access specialized tools, I would strongly suggest you look into being able to access your schools computer labs. Ask the techs there if they have the SQL Plus program, VB.NET and access to your oracle database. They should be able to tell you all this. It is going to be your best shot at getting everything you need and having it run as expected to meet your instructor's expectations.

The best thing for now is just to calm down. Go for a walk or something to clear your mind and then see what your school can do. Don't leave it to the last minute to get all this done because you may have a complex system setup here that isn't going to be done in simple an hour.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Kairi  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 107
  • Joined: 02-October 09

Re: Is there any easy way to connect a database in vb.net without changing

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:49 AM

View PostMartyr2, on 21 August 2010 - 08:34 AM, said:

First of all SQL Plus is a tool that allows you to run queries and manipulate the Oracle database. It directly has nothing to do with VB.NET. You use SQL Plus to modify records on the database and then use VB.NET to access the database and read/update/delete records and run queries. SQL Plus just allows you to manipulate the database quickly and easily when your application is not fully done yet.

Secondly, doesn't your college have an open computer lab with SQL Plus installed? Typically colleges that run Comp Sci programs have long computer lab hours (mine was 24/7) and you can use SQL Plus there along with your program to finish. So I would ask about that.

Third, I don't know if you have the entire environment setup on your computer or not (or if you can connect to the database at school which typically you can't because they firewall this stuff off) but you will need to have Oracle and SQL Plus installed on your computer. Then you will need to load up the database tables you have been working on to it.

Given your lack of time and need to access specialized tools, I would strongly suggest you look into being able to access your schools computer labs. Ask the techs there if they have the SQL Plus program, VB.NET and access to your oracle database. They should be able to tell you all this. It is going to be your best shot at getting everything you need and having it run as expected to meet your instructor's expectations.

The best thing for now is just to calm down. Go for a walk or something to clear your mind and then see what your school can do. Don't leave it to the last minute to get all this done because you may have a complex system setup here that isn't going to be done in simple an hour.

:)


That's the problem i don't live near the college, it's 40 minute drive to it and even with that i have to walk up from the bus stop which is a further 20 minutes. I forgot to mention the bus ticket is actually 10 euro and i'd have lack in time coz since i get up to the college my time will be cut in half and there is only one bus home. I miss that and i have to get a taxi home.

Yes but like i said above my time is fairly limited regardless even if i get in

Second, i asked and No they wont even give me anything, all they gave me was a link where to download it and that site was 10000 times worse than finding a needle in a hay stack and when i downloaded it it turned out to be SQL Server 2008 and not the actually program i was using all along.

All i'm asking is if anyone knows of an alternative that can easily be used at home rather than going in to college for that source.
Something that allows me free access at home with no worries.
I heard of SQL server but have not a single clue how to use it or how to use it via coding and so forth

This post has been edited by Kairi: 21 August 2010 - 09:53 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Kairi  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 107
  • Joined: 02-October 09

Re: Is there any easy way to connect a database in vb.net without changing

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:59 AM

BUMP

Sorry for double post but will anyone care to help me at least?
Even if it means changing or adding a few odd lines of code to get the project to work properly and output data and so forth i will be grateful.

Anything that might help me will be appreciated.
Very little time and only a week to get things for a pass done.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Guest_ProgGuy*


Reputation:

Re: Is there any easy way to connect a database in vb.net without changing

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:01 AM

Hey There,

If your going to work on this you absolutely must install the database your working with on the computer your writing your code on or your going to get to school run it and find out nothing works so I would work on getting your database installed on your computer.

Once youve done that you need to access your database using a connection string/Class whatever you would like to do
Then you can send sql queries to the database once one of your respective buttons is pushed
for update it would be something like Update "tablename" set "columnname" = "something" Where "columnname" = "value from your form"

theres many many many ways to do it so I think you need to be more descriptive on the layout of your form and how you want to do your updates/inserts/deletes

But ya most important thing is to install the database your working with on your current machine or your hooped.

View PostKairi, on 22 August 2010 - 10:59 AM, said:

BUMP

Sorry for double post but will anyone care to help me at least?
Even if it means changing or adding a few odd lines of code to get the project to work properly and output data and so forth i will be grateful.

Anything that might help me will be appreciated.
Very little time and only a week to get things for a pass done.

Was This Post Helpful? 0

#6 Kairi  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 107
  • Joined: 02-October 09

Re: Is there any easy way to connect a database in vb.net without changing

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:08 AM

View PostProgGuy, on 23 August 2010 - 04:01 AM, said:

Hey There,

If your going to work on this you absolutely must install the database your working with on the computer your writing your code on or your going to get to school run it and find out nothing works so I would work on getting your database installed on your computer.

Once youve done that you need to access your database using a connection string/Class whatever you would like to do
Then you can send sql queries to the database once one of your respective buttons is pushed
for update it would be something like Update "tablename" set "columnname" = "something" Where "columnname" = "value from your form"

theres many many many ways to do it so I think you need to be more descriptive on the layout of your form and how you want to do your updates/inserts/deletes

But ya most important thing is to install the database your working with on your current machine or your hooped.

View PostKairi, on 22 August 2010 - 10:59 AM, said:

BUMP

Sorry for double post but will anyone care to help me at least?
Even if it means changing or adding a few odd lines of code to get the project to work properly and output data and so forth i will be grateful.

Anything that might help me will be appreciated.
Very little time and only a week to get things for a pass done.


I don't understand what you just said.
If you are saying to get Oracle Plus the same program as the college network then you don't understand.

I already stated this and please excuse me but i am wasting time and stressing over it big time.

Here is summary in case ya don't understand me.

1. Can't get into college regardless so don't advise me to go to college to get the program since i'd be paying over 50 euro a week and along with that my time will be WASTED Since i'd have to walk to my college

2. One bus home, miss that and i don't get home at all, i'd have to get a taxi

3. Already asked my college techies and they can't help me get the proper progam

4. All i want is someone to help with code even if it means changing or making slight edits to make the program work.

5. I already said if you want code i did then i will show it in my next reply

6. I appreciate the help but you still don't understand what i am saying!

7. Been using Oracle Plus all along but don't have it at home = no show in program working. Just need to know if i can have another program to help with only making slight edits in my overall code for it to work.

8. 2 days already wasted and if i don't get an answer NOWI will fail my project

9. All i need is a simple procedure told in clear steps since i am a slow learner
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 Kairi  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 107
  • Joined: 02-October 09

Re: Is there any easy way to connect a database in vb.net without changing

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:17 AM

BUMP BUMP

Will an admin please lock this.
It's been nearly 3 days and i still haven't gotten a proper answer.
I am frustrated, annoyed, panicking like hell and stressed to the max and sick of wasting time since clearly i'm being not understood properly.

I'm afraid i will have to search elsewhere.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is offline

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 8909
  • View blog
  • Posts: 33,397
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: Is there any easy way to connect a database in vb.net without changing

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:03 PM

View PostKairi, on 21 August 2010 - 10:49 AM, said:

Second, i asked and No they wont even give me anything, all they gave me was a link where to download it and that site was 10000 times worse than finding a needle in a hay stack and when i downloaded it it turned out to be SQL Server 2008 and not the actually program i was using all along.


This might be the quick fix you are looking for. Go ask someone at school, or the instructor, on how to navigate through the website to get what you need downloaded. Hell - you have the neighborhood for where to download software-x (which is required aparently to do your home work), just get some help finding the exact address.

Yes.. MSSQL is *not* Oracle. How that confusion occurred we shall never know.



View PostKairi, on 21 August 2010 - 10:49 AM, said:

All i'm asking is if anyone knows of an alternative that can easily be used at home rather than going in to college for that source.
Something that allows me free access at home with no worries.
I heard of SQL server but have not a single clue how to use it or how to use it via coding and so forth

Again - get help on locating where software-x is, and then download it right. Don't try and exasterbate an already festering issue by attempting some pseudo-patch by using SQL instead of software-x. That never works and gets you no where. Again, have someone show you how to navigate the link and your way would be much smoother.




View PostKairi, on 22 August 2010 - 12:59 PM, said:

Even if it means changing or adding a few odd lines of code to get the project to work properly and output data and so forth i will be grateful.

Look.. doing this pseudo work is never easy, easy, or without a waste of time. It's never a three-hour tour no matter what you think. Again, take the link and get instructions on how to navigate for the download.


View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 09:08 AM, said:

3. Already asked my college techies and they can't help me get the proper progam

Have you asked them how to navigate the site? If the "techies" are not helping get a supervisor. You are paying for this school right? They should be able to service the customer (thanks G.Carlin - that term will never sound the same) regardless of how slack assed they are.



View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 09:08 AM, said:

4. All i want is someone to help with code even if it means changing or making slight edits to make the program work.

Again, it's never a three hour tour. Get the right tools and then use them.



View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 09:08 AM, said:

6. I appreciate the help but you still don't understand what i am saying!

I think everyone understands and it all comes back to you getting the right tools to do the job.


View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 09:08 AM, said:

7. Been using Oracle Plus all along but don't have it at home = no show in program working. Just need to know if i can have another program to help with only making slight edits in my overall code for it to work.

You have the link now use it. See above - it's never a three hour tour.



View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 09:08 AM, said:

9. All i need is a simple procedure told in clear steps since i am a slow learner

A simple procedure as in steps on how to procure software-x, or procedure as in a stored procedure?


View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 12:17 PM, said:

BUMP BUMP

Will an admin please lock this.
It's been nearly 3 days and i still haven't gotten a proper answer.
I am frustrated, annoyed, panicking like hell and stressed to the max and sick of wasting time since clearly i'm being not understood properly.

I'm afraid i will have to search elsewhere.

Shit happens and life is full of stress. You have the tools to download (you have the link right?) now just either sack-up and figure out how to navigate/search a website or get someone to show you how. That is your gateway issue. Fix that and the rest will be okay.... well outside of your panic attacks and not getting *this* assignment done.

Remember - you are already lost and confused so adding something else that is sort-a-like software-x will not help. Three hour tours are a lie (like the cake).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 Kairi  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 107
  • Joined: 02-October 09

Re: Is there any easy way to connect a database in vb.net without changing

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:05 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 23 August 2010 - 11:03 AM, said:

View PostKairi, on 21 August 2010 - 10:49 AM, said:

Second, i asked and No they wont even give me anything, all they gave me was a link where to download it and that site was 10000 times worse than finding a needle in a hay stack and when i downloaded it it turned out to be SQL Server 2008 and not the actually program i was using all along.


This might be the quick fix you are looking for. Go ask someone at school, or the instructor, on how to navigate through the website to get what you need downloaded. Hell - you have the neighborhood for where to download software-x (which is required aparently to do your home work), just get some help finding the exact address.

Yes.. MSSQL is *not* Oracle. How that confusion occurred we shall never know.



View PostKairi, on 21 August 2010 - 10:49 AM, said:

All i'm asking is if anyone knows of an alternative that can easily be used at home rather than going in to college for that source.
Something that allows me free access at home with no worries.
I heard of SQL server but have not a single clue how to use it or how to use it via coding and so forth

Again - get help on locating where software-x is, and then download it right. Don't try and exasterbate an already festering issue by attempting some pseudo-patch by using SQL instead of software-x. That never works and gets you no where. Again, have someone show you how to navigate the link and your way would be much smoother.




View PostKairi, on 22 August 2010 - 12:59 PM, said:

Even if it means changing or adding a few odd lines of code to get the project to work properly and output data and so forth i will be grateful.

Look.. doing this pseudo work is never easy, easy, or without a waste of time. It's never a three-hour tour no matter what you think. Again, take the link and get instructions on how to navigate for the download.


View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 09:08 AM, said:

3. Already asked my college techies and they can't help me get the proper progam

Have you asked them how to navigate the site? If the "techies" are not helping get a supervisor. You are paying for this school right? They should be able to service the customer (thanks G.Carlin - that term will never sound the same) regardless of how slack assed they are.



View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 09:08 AM, said:

4. All i want is someone to help with code even if it means changing or making slight edits to make the program work.

Again, it's never a three hour tour. Get the right tools and then use them.



View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 09:08 AM, said:

6. I appreciate the help but you still don't understand what i am saying!

I think everyone understands and it all comes back to you getting the right tools to do the job.


View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 09:08 AM, said:

7. Been using Oracle Plus all along but don't have it at home = no show in program working. Just need to know if i can have another program to help with only making slight edits in my overall code for it to work.

You have the link now use it. See above - it's never a three hour tour.



View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 09:08 AM, said:

9. All i need is a simple procedure told in clear steps since i am a slow learner

A simple procedure as in steps on how to procure software-x, or procedure as in a stored procedure?


View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 12:17 PM, said:

BUMP BUMP

Will an admin please lock this.
It's been nearly 3 days and i still haven't gotten a proper answer.
I am frustrated, annoyed, panicking like hell and stressed to the max and sick of wasting time since clearly i'm being not understood properly.

I'm afraid i will have to search elsewhere.

Shit happens and life is full of stress. You have the tools to download (you have the link right?) now just either sack-up and figure out how to navigate/search a website or get someone to show you how. That is your gateway issue. Fix that and the rest will be okay.... well outside of your panic attacks and not getting *this* assignment done.

Remember - you are already lost and confused so adding something else that is sort-a-like software-x will not help. Three hour tours are a lie (like the cake).



1. Again with the obvious quote. For the last and final time and i am gonna spell it out to people

I live in IRELAND!!!
EVEN IF I GOT A DRIVE IN I'D HAVE TO WALK UP TO COLLEGE!
ONLY ONE BUS HOME AND BY THE TIME I GET UP AND WALK DOWN IT WILL BE NEARLY GONE!

BTW I ALREADY ASKED AND NO HELP WAS GIVEN!


2. EXCUSE ME, Neightbourhood? I don't live in a neighbourhood. I aint American for goodness sake and i live in the countryside where ya know all the cows and animals are and not many houses around!

3. Excuse me but there is multiple of alternatives to one solution, boy you sound like my lecturer.

4. As for getting a supervisor, do ya actually think Irish colleges are the same as colleges in your area. I asked all around and Nothing

5. Tools, ya said this multiple of times but ya never explained what tools are needed hmm...

6. As in ya said you have the link then use it. I used if excuse my phrase 100 fucking times and i came to the same conclusion, It fucked up my entire project 25 times already since i was so confused from reading things several times

7. Do i have to spell it out and like i said i am willing to show my code to one form if it helps with sorting out my problem. I'm tired of saying this several times that as of now i'll only state it once.

8. You are blastedly rude, i come here to ask for help since i tried everything and you give me the cheek on this!

FYI you got major spelling errors here

End of topic, now can an admin please close this topic or kindly offer some help and guidence.

I appreciate everyone cept the person i am quoting's help since everyone is fairly nice and tried their best.

For the last and final time
STOP stating the obvious which is a result in going back to the college since i can't afford going into the college and half the staff are on holidays now
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 JackOfAllTrades  Icon User is offline

  • Saucy!
  • member icon

Reputation: 6035
  • View blog
  • Posts: 23,417
  • Joined: 23-August 08

Re: Is there any easy way to connect a database in vb.net without changing

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:40 PM

Seems like you are taking out your frustration on the wrong people here. You have some sort of misunderstanding with the people at your college. You need to address that, and if you can't, well...there's not much we can do. You can't write a program using another program to which you do not have access.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 modi123_1  Icon User is offline

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 8909
  • View blog
  • Posts: 33,397
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: Is there any easy way to connect a database in vb.net without changing

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:53 PM

View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 02:05 PM, said:

1. Again with the obvious quote. For the last and final time and i am gonna spell it out to people

I live in IRELAND!!!
EVEN IF I GOT A DRIVE IN I'D HAVE TO WALK UP TO COLLEGE!
ONLY ONE BUS HOME AND BY THE TIME I GET UP AND WALK DOWN IT WILL BE NEARLY GONE!

BTW I ALREADY ASKED AND NO HELP WAS GIVEN!

The solution is three part:
1. Get Oracle - the Oracle you need - from the link (which you have).
2. Get your ass to the school lab regardless of cost.
3. Avoid either solution and complain. ;)

(In retrospect the three point plan above might be a bit dickish). The rest is not.

View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 02:05 PM, said:

2. EXCUSE ME, Neightbourhood? I don't live in a neighbourhood. I aint American for goodness sake and i live in the countryside where ya know all the cows and animals are and not many houses around!

When I said "neighborhood" that would be the metaphorical neighborhood that you are in with the link. You just need some assistance navigating the website to get to you the Oracle you need.

View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 02:05 PM, said:

3. Excuse me but there is multiple of alternatives to one solution, boy you sound like my lecturer.

Indeed you are right, but it was a hard lesson I learned back in school that if the teacher says the homework needs to be done with X, y, and Z then you do it with X, Y, and Z. Not X, C (which is sorta like Y but not Y), and Z. If Oracle (insert version number) and Visual Studios 2008 then you know what you need.

Trying to make X, Y, Z out of X, C, Z can, and usually does, become an longer process. Stick with the codified program requirements.

View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 02:05 PM, said:

4. As for getting a supervisor, do ya actually think Irish colleges are the same as colleges in your area. I asked all around and Nothing

I would figure yeah.. a college is a college is a college. Employees have supervisors (or managers) and you go up the chain until someone can help you.

By the way - what school is this? I have an intense desire to see their website and ciriculum.

View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 02:05 PM, said:

5. Tools, ya said this multiple of times but ya never explained what tools are needed hmm...

Tools are the specific Oracle version your instructor is talking about and said was needed. I thought that was fairly well implied.

View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 02:05 PM, said:

6. As in ya said you have the link then use it. I used if excuse my phrase 100 fucking times and i came to the same conclusion, It fucked up my entire project 25 times already since i was so confused from reading things several times

Okay here's where you need to calm down. Again this is a gateway issue. Get the right Oracle and off you go. I would almost ask you to PM me the link and I would find it for you, but I am not sure if I want to be that involved.

View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 02:05 PM, said:

7. Do i have to spell it out and like i said i am willing to show my code to one form if it helps with sorting out my problem. I'm tired of saying this several times that as of now i'll only state it once.

Your code might not be needed - if you get the right version of Oracle from that link. Seroiusly it's that simple.

View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 02:05 PM, said:

8. You are blastedly rude, i come here to ask for help since i tried everything and you give me the cheek on this!

No, rude was *not* my intention. I was attempting to explain that you are on the cusp of getting what you need done - you have the link now just find the right version of Oracle off it.

I am not sure what "you give me the cheek on this" means. Probably an Irish colloquialism. No.. wait.. my buddy's madre says, from time to time, 'cheeky'. She's a Scot though so it might be different.

View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 02:05 PM, said:

FYI you got major spelling errors here


Sorry I dropped the second 'p' off apparently, and mistyped exacerbate as exasterbate. Yeah I'm lame. :wacko:

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 23 August 2010 - 01:57 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#12 ForcedSterilizationsForAll  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Addict

Reputation: 33
  • View blog
  • Posts: 506
  • Joined: 16-July 09

Re: Is there any easy way to connect a database in vb.net without changing

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:24 PM

Maybe I'm just retarded, but how are you taking this class? Is it something you're doing online? I see a lot of bitching and excuses, and you're one step short of "Send Me TEH CODEZ!"

Have you considered emailing your instructor to ask for directions on how to get your software? If they refuse to help have you thought of complaining to the proper people (ie. the administration).

People here can't help with what you need, all we can do is offer you help on how to determine that for yourself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 rgfirefly24  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon


Reputation: 262
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,460
  • Joined: 07-April 08

Re: Is there any easy way to connect a database in vb.net without changing

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:58 PM

Do you know what version of Oracle you need?

if so you can go to the Oracle Websiteand find the proper download.

Second in order for us to even begin helping we would need the code you are having issues with, and the issues you are having. You will need to download the Version of oracle from the link above and run them first. If you have having problems getting the proper version from the link above you pm me with what version of Oracle you need and i can try and get you a direct download link. We cannot tell you what version you need as there are several different ones. This is one of the issues you've been facing in this thread. Once you have done the above we can go from there.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#14 Kairi  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 107
  • Joined: 02-October 09

Re: Is there any easy way to connect a database in vb.net without changing

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:05 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 23 August 2010 - 12:53 PM, said:

View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 02:05 PM, said:

1. Again with the obvious quote. For the last and final time and i am gonna spell it out to people

I live in IRELAND!!!
EVEN IF I GOT A DRIVE IN I'D HAVE TO WALK UP TO COLLEGE!
ONLY ONE BUS HOME AND BY THE TIME I GET UP AND WALK DOWN IT WILL BE NEARLY GONE!

BTW I ALREADY ASKED AND NO HELP WAS GIVEN!

The solution is three part:
1. Get Oracle - the Oracle you need - from the link (which you have).
2. Get your ass to the school lab regardless of cost.
3. Avoid either solution and complain. ;)

(In retrospect the three point plan above might be a bit dickish). The rest is not.

View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 02:05 PM, said:

2. EXCUSE ME, Neightbourhood? I don't live in a neighbourhood. I aint American for goodness sake and i live in the countryside where ya know all the cows and animals are and not many houses around!

When I said "neighborhood" that would be the metaphorical neighborhood that you are in with the link. You just need some assistance navigating the website to get to you the Oracle you need.

View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 02:05 PM, said:

3. Excuse me but there is multiple of alternatives to one solution, boy you sound like my lecturer.

Indeed you are right, but it was a hard lesson I learned back in school that if the teacher says the homework needs to be done with X, y, and Z then you do it with X, Y, and Z. Not X, C (which is sorta like Y but not Y), and Z. If Oracle (insert version number) and Visual Studios 2008 then you know what you need.

Trying to make X, Y, Z out of X, C, Z can, and usually does, become an longer process. Stick with the codified program requirements.

View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 02:05 PM, said:

4. As for getting a supervisor, do ya actually think Irish colleges are the same as colleges in your area. I asked all around and Nothing

I would figure yeah.. a college is a college is a college. Employees have supervisors (or managers) and you go up the chain until someone can help you.

By the way - what school is this? I have an intense desire to see their website and ciriculum.

View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 02:05 PM, said:

5. Tools, ya said this multiple of times but ya never explained what tools are needed hmm...

Tools are the specific Oracle version your instructor is talking about and said was needed. I thought that was fairly well implied.

View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 02:05 PM, said:

6. As in ya said you have the link then use it. I used if excuse my phrase 100 fucking times and i came to the same conclusion, It fucked up my entire project 25 times already since i was so confused from reading things several times

Okay here's where you need to calm down. Again this is a gateway issue. Get the right Oracle and off you go. I would almost ask you to PM me the link and I would find it for you, but I am not sure if I want to be that involved.

View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 02:05 PM, said:

7. Do i have to spell it out and like i said i am willing to show my code to one form if it helps with sorting out my problem. I'm tired of saying this several times that as of now i'll only state it once.

Your code might not be needed - if you get the right version of Oracle from that link. Seroiusly it's that simple.

View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 02:05 PM, said:

8. You are blastedly rude, i come here to ask for help since i tried everything and you give me the cheek on this!

No, rude was *not* my intention. I was attempting to explain that you are on the cusp of getting what you need done - you have the link now just find the right version of Oracle off it.

I am not sure what "you give me the cheek on this" means. Probably an Irish colloquialism. No.. wait.. my buddy's madre says, from time to time, 'cheeky'. She's a Scot though so it might be different.

View PostKairi, on 23 August 2010 - 02:05 PM, said:

FYI you got major spelling errors here


Sorry I dropped the second 'p' off apparently, and mistyped exacerbate as exasterbate. Yeah I'm lame. :wacko:


1. Would you pay 50.00 a week = 400 a month or so, neva was good in calculations in order to get in and out with only 3 hours of a time limit, actually scratch that 2 hours in limit.
I'm not lazy if that is the problem. I don't live near the bus stop so it's further drive from my house and my mother is ill so she can't possibly drive me to the bus stop each day.
See my problem now

2. I did that but still not help at all, the program in college is a specific program that isn't even free online.
Get my drift now. So even if i got something close to it it requires further modification of code to ensure it works effectively.

I did my research on that already and in regards to it working i have not a single clue. Anything you said i already did a 100 times

In relation cheeky literally means being boast and rude and stating of the obvious which in states of a relation i am stupid or something.

Like said my lecturer is a frigging asshole and trust me she is a total idiot. She doesn't even give proper help, i asked her multiple of times and she misunderstood what i am saying and trust me my head of department is no help either.

So there ya go in that.

Actually the program i was given is actually the SQL Server which i have in no clue to use in regards to either no code or code wise.

Again i said and i will say it the last time i am a slow learner but to be more specific it is slow speed in processing information. I'm not stupid so i don't want people take that as advantage and say mean things.
I work in a step and clear process so ya need to be specific and simple or clear for me to understand

Now at least we are on the same page at least but ya really should have been more specific rather than tick me off. I said i was stressed over time so ya should have taken extra precaution in word choice.

As for course it's actually computing with multimedia which is a blasted stupid course mind you, i need to pass this year unfortunately in order to make a transfer to a better multimedia based course.

Oh yeah my instructor never even outlined anything in relation to the program to use, just the simple basics on how to use it, such as how to open the program and so forth, in other words she threw pointless notes at us and never explained a single detail. Even if we followed it she goes on a rant and say that is not exactly how i wanted it.

See told ya so, Either way gets ya nowhere regardless and i even had a personal tutor who helped me a little, i might consider to ask him if i don't get a solution by 2moro and it's getting late already here.

Oh yeah Scotland, UK is not even Ireland. Separate countries kk

Now looks like ya are alright in my books. Looks like ya taken a calm approach rather than back swotting *see example of what the guy above me said ~ ForcedSterilizationsForAll

As for the guy above me now that is simply rude.

So if i got SQL Server then perhaps i can use that but can anyone help me to use it is the next answer, just need a tad tutorial on how and so forth and how to code it to connect and then that might help.

Like i said there is other alternatives.
The subject is Project 1 and all i am required to do is create a database. So i don't give a dam about anything as long it get it to work. Besides all i'd do is fuck the project into my lecturer (ok, hand it into secretary) and say there ya go a working project for ya. All she said was ya need a working project so i don't care how to get it done as long it works and that's that ya know.

All i want is a working project to hand in and if she fails me then that is the time to complain to the head of college.

So now can you help me at least get a working project?
I don't even care if it means changing my code. I got the programs i just need a small bit of help to get it to work and that's all i want.

Sounds fair enough... Need i ask more in the matter.

I remember my lecturer saying that as long it works functionally and executes the right orders then it will get me a pass.

That's all i want a pass and nothing more
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 Kairi  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 107
  • Joined: 02-October 09

Re: Is there any easy way to connect a database in vb.net without changing

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:11 PM

View Postrgfirefly24, on 23 August 2010 - 01:58 PM, said:

Do you know what version of Oracle you need?

if so you can go to the Oracle Websiteand find the proper download.

Second in order for us to even begin helping we would need the code you are having issues with, and the issues you are having. You will need to download the Version of oracle from the link above and run them first. If you have having problems getting the proper version from the link above you pm me with what version of Oracle you need and i can try and get you a direct download link. We cannot tell you what version you need as there are several different ones. This is one of the issues you've been facing in this thread. Once you have done the above we can go from there.


Well all i have been using is Oracle *Plus and that's what it was in the college, i found out it can't be downloaded for free since it is a liscensed program and has to be bought.
The closes thing i think i have is SQL Server but i have no idea on how to use it and no clue since i read the instructions over and over again and still got confused.

As for code, ya actually want all of it or at least all that is on one form coz trust me it's a little eye sore but like i promised i did say i will provide code. So let me know and i'll add one form of coding that works onto this and see if anyone can perhaps help me if i can make alight adjustments here and there ya kno
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3