7 Replies - 673 Views - Last Post: 21 August 2010 - 09:40 PM

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Which Language to Focus On

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:04 PM

I'm trying to decide on which language I should focus on, I have a horrible habit of trying to learn by minor sampling of random languages but I really need to settle on one and actually get to a reasonable level of skill.

I've been doing C# from classes and have a decent amount of experience, but I'm also looking at Python and object oriented PHP (seeing as I'm in Web)
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Which Language to Focus On

#2 Martyr2  Icon User is online

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which Language to Focus On

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:14 PM

All depends on what you want to do and what you are most comfortable with. If you want a web language, I would strongly recommend PHP. Continue with the C# for work on desktop. With working on the web you will need javascript, (X)HTML and some server-side language like PHP/ASP/ColdFusion. If you focus on those two, then you will find it easy to dive into others. C# will open up the world of learning other .NET languages and PHP will certainly help you with things like learning ASP.

But ultimately, decide what you want to do and what languages come to you comfortably and go with those. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:29 PM

Perhaps this thread may help some.

Out of the languages you listed, Python is the least used in the real world. For web, I'd hit on PHP. However, if you focus on C#, you're at least familiarizing yourself with the .NET framework (probably), which will make working with ASP.NET easier. Both PHP and C# are derived from C, so you will have an easier time going to C++, Java, and other such languages, though C# more closely resembles such languages.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:28 PM

I had a great time learning JAVA... and I am trying to learn JSP and Servlets now, so I am not sure how that will work out. PHP is great, and as mentioned above will help with ASP and I am hoping JSP :-)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:35 PM

The reason I consider Python is I'm trying to get an internship in Cali at Google if I can swing it and it's used quite a bit.

PHP is like franken-language, bits and pieces of everything. I don't have too much problems with it but finding a tutorial on it that's based on OO is a task on Google, seeing as a majority are extreme beginner or extreme advanced. (Any recommendations feel free)

If anything I'm extremely comfortable with OO and the next few semesters of classes for me will deal with database access and usage in C#. Java is taught a little later on so I've been avoiding it so I don't get bored in the first few classes and work ahead (which will inevitably kill my grade.)

HTML was never much of a problem for me, CSS I know v1 and a good portion of v2, need to work on v3. Javascript and jQuery I need to work on later.

I just know that doing only graphics is going to be one heck of a handicap and I need to get into some hardcore programming to get better with security (another reason for python)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:44 PM

If you are proficient in C#, you'll be utterly bored in Java Intro. I'd work ahead to test out and go into a class like Data Structures I in Java. I honestly don't know much about Python, but I do know Android and Java are also big at Google. And going from C# to Java isn't that hard.

If you are looking for OOPHP tutorials, check out the PHP tutorials section. I wrote one on basic class design, and I think there is one on Polymorphism, which I think also hits on inheritance.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:11 PM

Looks like Java isn't a requirement but it'd probably be effective suicide to ignore it seeing as how often I tend to hear it and how it always ranks in the top 3 languages.

I'll probably work with Java in my spare time as I get more classes on C# done. Web Admin 2 deals with PHP so I should get a good amount of that as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:40 PM

actually python is used a lot in the real world. Google for example use python a lot, it has been used on some parts of the search engine. Also with Django, python is now gaining a lot of popularity in web development.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1