12 Replies - 1110 Views - Last Post: 24 August 2010 - 06:46 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Computer Science Trouble

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:56 AM

I have been studying Java for a bit now and I love to code, but I suck at math, give or take a little. My teacher said to code and do it if I wanted to, but I don't want to mess up and go into a college course I would soon fail at. I love coding, but I never got past Algebra 2. Will the college work with you if you show a passion for the course? I mean, that is what your paying them for, right?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Computer Science Trouble

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Computer Science Trouble

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:00 AM

Computer Science is really math heavy. Certainly you'll be expected to know through Differential Equations and Linear Algebra, but Discrete Math is probably more important. If you really want to avoid math, I'd suggest going for an IT or CIS degree in the business department at your school. It covers a lot less theory than a CS degree would. If you are intent on going for a CS degree, you should really take a precalc/trig course before going to college so that you can get into Calc I your freshman year.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:35 AM

Alternatively, just get better at math. Speaking from experience it's a lot easier to learn if it relates to something you're interested in.

What kind of coding would you like to do?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:47 PM

I would like to program simple games for companies (not extreme physics based ones, because I know I would be screwed there) and office software. I would love to get into security-based coding and networking. Do thing like these really require that much math?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:47 PM

agree with macnerd. the business departments usually offer some sort of IT curriculum which is much less math heavy but still can give you the coding and other IT experiences. But if you are really focused on doing computer science, then def try to do pre calc to prepare yourself for lots of math. Worst case scenario, you can change your degree when your a year or 2 in. Most people do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:35 PM

If coding is what you love to do then i think you should find a solution to your math problem since it's standing in the way of your one passion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:36 PM

I grew up HORRIBLE at math. Given it was my own fault but nonetheless horrible. I started college for my B.S CS and knew what I was getting into with the math, I started at the bottom and have worked my way up. The key word is work, you have to work at it, study it, get a tutor, whatever you have to do, you need to do it. Do not let it scare you if thats what you want to do (CS) its just another obstacle in life that can be tackled.

I knew I wanted to code so I am going through the motions, at times its hard but usually its fun and enjoyable, thats why i do it. There will always be hard times no matter what field you go into, so just be sure that if your going to work hard and get down on yourself, than make sure its for what you want to do.

Also not EVERYTHING you program is going to be difficult and involve math, you can get into plenty or areas once you have your CS degree and for the most part code and avoid math, or at least avoid really hard math.

Good Luck to you, I'm sure you will do great, but you need to hustle.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:32 PM

Personally, I am in the same boat as you my friend. I am terrible in math, and I am currently taking remedial classes to get caught up. The furthest coding experience is 6 months of Java under my belt. I am starting Java II this semester. I major in Information Technology though. Usually, the highest level math you have to take is Calculus 1. It still covers the same stuff, except business classes instead of math.

Personally, I am in the same boat as you my friend. I am terrible in math, and I am currently taking remedial classes to get caught up. The furthest coding experience is 6 months of Java under my belt. I am starting Java II this semester. I major in Information Technology though. Usually, the highest level math you have to take is Calculus 1. It still covers the same stuff, except business classes instead of math.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:38 PM

View Postghghgh, on 23 August 2010 - 04:47 PM, said:

I would like to program simple games for companies (not extreme physics based ones, because I know I would be screwed there) and office software. I would love to get into security-based coding and networking. Do thing like these really require that much math?

If you are writing pong, tetris, or bubble shooter, you'll probably be alright. However, if you are writing games professionally, they'll 99.999% probably involve physics, calculus, and linear algebra. As for networking and security, you'll probably have to understand at least some basic cryptography. Depending on what you do in security, it can get more involved mathematically, but probably not to the extent of game programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:34 PM

Like max said, more advanced games will focus heavenly on physics and linear algebra. Look at openGL, its built off of matrices! Computer science/engineering and most computer fields will require upper division math courses. My advice is just to take it a math course at a time, you will get there and you will soon learn to appreciate what you have learned when you are put into a environment that requires it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:43 AM

I'm not sure about your curriculum, but mine is kinda math heavy, achievable though. Alot of tests, exams and homework which all contribute to your final grade, so it's like it's split among tasks which makes it lots easier.

Discrete Structures1 - piss easy
Linear Algebra- ouch, can be messy... very
Discrete Structures2 - I dreamt about walking through a graph just before my final exam :w00t:
Analisys- I dreamt about climbing a cos funct...(put that phone down, I didn't!) Not THAT hard, but every and I mean every task requires concentration since the solutions can be very long.
Statistics- bah... Don't know. Doing homework every week makes it much easier than it sounds.
Advanced analysis- I'm not there yet.

Ofcourse, my goals are probably the same as yours (at least for math subjects): "Just pass". I don't give a **** about grades in any subject. There was a topic(I think it was about stealing code), where someone said that competitence(I hope I got it right) comes from people struggling to get scholarship so that every bit helps, which is not the case where I study and actually the only things that matter are knowledge and a 'paper'(diploma).

Since I'm not quite sure what

I love coding, but I never got past Algebra 2.
is Algebra2, I can't tell how terrible you are, but when I was about to get into the first year of UNI, I went there and found a guy at that moment on the second/third year and asked him if he can show me his notebook or any other list of exercises, tasks, homework... Anything basically in maths, since I was concerned about it, same as you are now. It helped me get a better picture.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:47 AM

Discrete Structures2 - I dreamt about walking through a graph just before my final exam :w00t:

Breadth first or depth first?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:46 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 24 August 2010 - 04:47 AM, said:

Breadth first or depth first?

No idea. I remember connected nodes and walking from one to another. Something similar to Ricochet's(game) small platforms, only colorless.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1