• (2 Pages)
  • +

19 Replies - 4894 Views - Last Post: 30 August 2010 - 11:25 PM

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Moonlighting

Post icon  Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:50 AM

I'll admit it, I watch the Today show every morning. And this morning they had a segment on "Moonlighting". I'm curious how many of you have a side-gig or second job and how you balance your main job and your moonlighting gig. Does your company have an explicit "no moonlighting" policy? How do you handle conflict of interest if what you do is similar to your main job?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Moonlighting

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Moonlighting

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:17 AM

I would love to do some moonlighting if for nothing other than to do something fresh. However, between family and the amount of work from my job, I generally do not have the extra time to devote to it. Something that maybe required 10-15 hours a week might bee alright, but it'd have to be pretty freelance and lenient, and even then most of that work would be pushed to the weekends.

As far as I can remember, moonlighting is not restricted in my company, but it just has to comply with our non-compete statutes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:19 AM

I moonlight as a computer repairman. My normal job is a 9to5, so it doesn't leave me a lot of time to pick up and drop off the PCs. I've got a website so customers can send me a problem (MercerIslandPC.com) and I use a Google voice number for my work phone and the voicemail says that I'm busy and i'll return the call when I can, even though i'm really working my other job.

Most customers like it that I work after hours. They're just getting off work. Come home. Their kid downloaded some crap and now popups are everywhere. I'll drop by, clean it, profit, and get back home to dinner.

Otherwise, I have a promise on the service sheet that I'll fix your computer in 3 business days or less. I'll pick up there crashed PC, work on it when I can after my 9-5, and get it back to them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:24 AM

I Moonlight for the company that i'm contracted with. There are projects that they don't want to hire a developer to do, yet they can't take up Developer time from the developers they already have, so I work on those projects after hours.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your worst nightmare
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:24 AM

nimajneb, thank you for the ideas of the Google Voice Number. I too moonlight as a computer repairman. Right now I have 2 computers I have to work on, and most of my business comes from people inside my company. They don't mind me moonlighting as long as I'm doing it off company hours. I also still owe an old fellow DIC (Whizzy) a database for his Meal on Wheels charity, but I had my parents ask for, then renig on me doing a contacts db for them as well. Also, I can use any coding I develope because I am technically not a programmer, and all the programmers code is copyrighted by the company, even stuff they develope off hours.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:08 AM

@p4l really? even coding in their free time, that code is the companies? How does that happen? Even if its coded in a completely different language and technology from your companies?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your worst nightmare
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:33 AM

@blfosabre91, Simple answer is "Yes". We use a ton of different languages and systems in house to do a ton of different things.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:36 AM

thats assuming they do it with company property right? they can't take ownership of something done with non company property i would think
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:48 AM

Actually, most large companies have ethics/corporate policies by which they have the right of first refusal for anything their employees develop...it's quite a common clause, usually buried in a code of conduct document. It is rarely invoked, but is certainly there in almost any North American or international corporation in one form or another.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:18 PM

I have a 8-5 job, a second job as a web developer, and also write my own apps when I have a chance. I got my second job while I was on-site at a customer for my main job. They had brought in another developer and he owned his own company. He asked if I had thought about working a second job and that he was looking for another developer. So about a week or two later, I was working for him part time.

I didn't sign any kind of contract for my main job that said I couldn't moonlight.

I didn't tell my boss that I had a second job...he actually found out about when I joined LinkedIn. Not that I was trying to hide it or anything. I didn't see a need in telling them what I do on my own time.

I great part about my second job is that the owner simply contacts me when he has work. I do nothing with his customers. I have done 4 projects for him and have never spoken to a customer. I don't court customers for either of my jobs, so I have no conflict of interest.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:26 PM

I have a web design business I run on the side, I am hoping to step this up to full time in the near future.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:36 PM

I work a solid 9 till 5 as a webdesigner.

I have a few personal clients that I work with weeknights and weekends, on the verge of bringing in between 50% and 100% of my normal wage consistantly through private clients alone.

I am also using nights im not working for personal clients to develop my other business, providing websites for a particular market on a subscription basis, no revenue thus far but should be launching around jan/feb 2011.

I juggle this with the help of my Girlfriend, she teaches english online through skype to students coming to englad for uni (maybe i should get some lessons from her). She handles 90% of my admin work, invoicing, email, phone and is the primary point of contact for my clients. She is physically disabled and is unable to hold down a fulltime job so she works from home doing a few hours a day through skype and earns a respectable wage through it.

I guess we are just lucky in some respect that our personal businesses fit together quite well since she provides a professional edge to my business and I provide her with all the marketing and web resources she needs.

My goal is to have my newest venture support me and her with wages so we can concetraight on our individual businesses.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:54 PM

I am not forbidden from having a second job per se, but if I remember correctly there is pretty stern wording saying that such arrangements have to be approved by your manager.

To a certain extent we are encouraged to take on other projects (so long as they don't interfere with our primary job which is a 9-5 but often require more than 40hrs per week). For example we are encouraged to participate in open source development, to have blogs, to write/publish etc. I even know one musician who still does the whole "gig" thing and dreams of making it big.

Some of the other developers I have met do some of the strangest things. One is a bar tender, one works in wine (I think he leases a portion of a vineyard and produces his own wines), I know several "blogger" who also get paid to write articles now and again.

I often dream of doing something meaningful with my "extra time" but I really don't seem to have much of that and what I do have I tend to spend on DreamInCode... perhaps if I were to drop this site I could find more productive uses of my time...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Baller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:55 PM

I do some PC and electronics repair on the side as it comes up. Not real aggressive about pursuing extra work but its nice to get an extra $100 or so here and there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:46 AM

I got started with a similar story to nimajneb. The only thing I did different is I started with a friend & the computer repair stuff was supplemental income while we focused on Software & Web Site development projects. The truth is I don't like the idea of not having a concrete amount of income, & waiting for customers to bring in computers or laptops is just too risky to leverage business growth on. Plus every year the local colleges pump out new batches of know-it-all kids that are more than happy to undercut (any profitable) local business prices on computer repair.

After the eeepc's came out, I have this growing fear that in the next 5 years computer & possibly laptops will disappear altogether. Cell phones are becoming more & more powerful & it's only a mater of time, in my opinion, before they become portable computers that either connect to a backup processor (like a glorified dumb terminal) or replace laptops & notebooks/netbooks altogether. DVD/CDrom drives will be the next item phased out as USB thumbdrives continue to become larger & USB 3.0 will increase in speed.

The computer repair business will become the next television/VCR repair shop. Some old guy talking about the good old days, spring loaded keyboards, & AT power supplies.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +