Algorithms

Getting Started with Algorithms

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 833 Views - Last Post: 25 August 2010 - 03:53 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Algorithms

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:13 PM

I am trying to learn different algorithms such as Bubble Sort, Insertion Sort, Mergesort... The problem is that my Java is very noobish. I am hoping to get some assistance with getting started with the code so that I can start playing with algorithms over and over again. I have made a basic array but I am still learnig Eclipse and having some difficulties. Is there some code out there that I can use to start playing with algorithms? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I hope that this is an acceptable place to post this as I am new to on-line communitites.

Thanks,

Doug

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Algorithms

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Algorithms

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:21 PM

View Postdougm, on 25 August 2010 - 01:13 PM, said:

I am trying to learn different algorithms such as Bubble Sort, Insertion Sort, Mergesort... The problem is that my Java is very noobish. I am hoping to get some assistance with getting started with the code so that I can start playing with algorithms over and over again. I have made a basic array but I am still learnig Eclipse and having some difficulties. Is there some code out there that I can use to start playing with algorithms? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I hope that this is an acceptable place to post this as I am new to on-line communitites.

A good jumping off point for sorting algorithms is here, and each will have some Java examples. Should at least have links to suitable Java examples.

This post has been edited by javadork: 25 August 2010 - 02:22 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:33 PM

Until you have a firm grip of the language, don't use IDE's like Eclipse as you won't learn the language as well. Use Notepad or Notepad++, I personally use DrJava it just does syntax highlighting and compiling, no suggestions, autofilling, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:18 PM

I have tutorials on Selection, Bubble, and Insertion sorts if you want to check them out:

http://www.dreaminco...selection-sort/
http://www.dreaminco...ing-bubblesort/
http://www.dreaminco...insertion-sort/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• </luck>
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:53 PM

once you understand the principles of each sort, it's not hard at all to apply it to code

for the record: if you choose to go the notepad route (which I suggest just starting off) I have a blog post on how to compile your programs via command prompt

reason for edit: to be vain, lol

This post has been edited by Luckless: 25 August 2010 - 03:55 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1