4 Replies - 3745 Views - Last Post: 27 August 2010 - 12:12 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

asset Tracking Project

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:09 PM

Hello everyone,

Please forgive any discrepancies I have been out for a very long time.

I am starting a large project here at the office. This project will be an asset tracking software.

If time permits I would like to be able to develope the system so that I could put a file on a flash drive and then insert that drive into a pc, run the file and then have all the information pulled automatically but this is where I have no clue as to where to start, could someone help me or give me some direction as to how to pull this information automatically.

I am also planning to have the ability within the program to generate and print barcodes and maintain the database internally , would i be able to do this with ado.net ?

I maintain 4 locations, all together 15 servers and 400 plus nodes.

As you can see having to manually enter the data would be very time consumeing and this is why I would like to automate as much as possible.

Thank you for your help

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: asset Tracking Project

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: asset Tracking Project

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:50 PM

View PostIsit2late, on 26 August 2010 - 03:09 PM, said:

Hello everyone,

Please forgive any discrepancies I have been out for a very long time.

I am starting a large project here at the office. This project will be an asset tracking software.

If time permits I would like to be able to develope the system so that I could put a file on a flash drive and then insert that drive into a pc, run the file and then have all the information pulled automatically but this is where I have no clue as to where to start, could someone help me or give me some direction as to how to pull this information automatically.

I am also planning to have the ability within the program to generate and print barcodes and maintain the database internally , would i be able to do this with ado.net ?

I maintain 4 locations, all together 15 servers and 400 plus nodes.

As you can see having to manually enter the data would be very time consumeing and this is why I would like to automate as much as possible.

Thank you for your help

Can you clarify "all the information pulled automatically"? Are we talking hardware specs, software installed, or meta data like IP address and computer name?

Database wise - yes you can maintain that with something like a MYSQL or MSSQL Express setup. I would avoid Access. Throw the database on a sever and have an internal page access the database server you should be good to rock and roll.

If you are running an app off a USB drive though a small app that collects the info, displays it for you, and you can click 'send' and the program transmits the data to the database server isn't that hard.

Barcode software - yup!
http://www.taltech.c...l_barcodes.html

Though you might want to go with something like the QR codes.. then build a phone app to scan it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QR_Code

http://www.codeproje.../cs/qrcode.aspx
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:03 PM

Yes,

that is eactly what I am whating to pull from an audit. Computer name, hardware, connected / installed printers, software, ip, login id.

I want to include the database in with the program as well so as to use it at diffent locations.

Talking about the app on the usb. I want to create a little audit utility that will be part of the program, then when I need it I can click on the audit app and it would copy to selected drive " in this case usb ". then take the app around to various pc's and run the audit. After the data is collected I would be able to merge the data into the app.

I am also wanting to impliment a barcode system with this, but that is optional.

I know that there are apps out there that does this, but I would like to build this myself. Just do not know how to pull all the data or where from.

Thank you for your help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:22 PM

View PostIsit2late, on 26 August 2010 - 06:03 PM, said:

Yes,

that is eactly what I am whating to pull from an audit. Computer name, hardware, connected / installed printers, software, ip, login id.

Here's a start for your collection of information: System.Environment class!
http://msdn.microsof...nt_members.aspx

I want to include the database in with the program as well so as to use it at diffent locations.

No... no.. no.. This is a bad design. Having the client app call out to one SQL sever is a thoroughly better idea. At worst it would grab the information, write it an XML file, and you would have to import that XML into your database later. Seriously though - a client/data base sever app system is so much more effective.

Talking about the app on the usb. I want to create a little audit utility that will be part of the program, then when I need it I can click on the audit app and it would copy to selected drive " in this case usb ". then take the app around to various pc's and run the audit. After the data is collected I would be able to merge the data into the app.

Again the client app would easily be dumped on the USB drive (drag and drop).. take it around.. run it off the drive.. send the information to the database when it's done.

I am also wanting to impliment a barcode system with this, but that is optional.

Fair enough.

I know that there are apps out there that does this, but I would like to build this myself. Just do not know how to pull all the data or where from.

Thank you for your help.

Good luck. You might want to start a post under 'share your project' to keep us all abreast of how things go.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:12 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 26 August 2010 - 04:22 PM, said:

Yes,

Here's a start for your collection of information: System.Environment class!
http://msdn.microsof...nt_members.aspx

No... no.. no.. This is a bad design. Having the client app call out to one SQL sever is a thoroughly better idea. At worst it would grab the information, write it an XML file, and you would have to import that XML into your database later. Seriously though - a client/data base sever app system is so much more effective.

Again the client app would easily be dumped on the USB drive (drag and drop).. take it around.. run it off the drive.. send the information to the database when it's done.

Fair enough.

Thank you for your help.

Good luck. You might want to start a post under 'share your project' to keep us all abreast of how things go.

you are absolutely right. Now that you mention it I remember someone telling me that before. I did not realize how long I have been out of touch with all of this until i sat down to figure out where to start. Now that i have the information let see if I can figure out how to use it. hehehe.

thank you
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1