9 Replies - 954 Views - Last Post: 27 August 2010 - 09:39 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Foot In The Door

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:59 AM

I am currently in school studying Computer Science because I know I wan to work in the IT field, though I am not sure what exactly it is I want to do. My question is, I have been looking at the job postings, and every job I look at seems to want 2-5yrs. experience. I know one way of gaining experience is becoming an intern or volunteering and things like that, but I am working full time while I am going to school because I am the sole bread winner for my family, and being an intern is not an option. Does anyone have any advice/idea and how I can get my foot in the door and break into this career field?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Foot In The Door

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Foot In The Door

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:05 AM

Does anyone have any advice/idea and how I can get my foot in the door and break into this career field?
You need to develop a portfolio of work to show off. It will all be personal projects, but they still need to be something demoable.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:06 AM

It also might be a good idea to learn more about the IT groups that might hold meetings in your area. Find out how to become a member of groups like this, go to their meetings when you can and network as much as possible. Sometimes it really is who you know that matters moreso than what you know. For instance, I was looking for a job for over 3 months with rarely getting any calls or e-mails. So I remembered that I was a member of the Georgia Game Developers Association and decided to check out one of their meetings since it had been a couple years since I attended. After that meeting, and chatting with the president of the group and former instructor of mine, I began the interview process with the company he works for, and three weeks later, I'm working for a gaming company having fun making a living.

Never underestimate the power of who you know and what they might be willing to do for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:28 AM

http://www.goarmy.co...areers-and-jobs
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Guest_Amit*

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:35 AM

View PosttlhIn, on 27 August 2010 - 06:28 AM, said:

Yeah, either that, or going to a real school and getting a real academic education. If you are smart enough to succeed academically, I would suggest going to a real school. Otherwise, just join the army, there's always a room there.
Was This Post Helpful? -1

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:48 AM

View PostAmit, on 27 August 2010 - 10:35 AM, said:

View PosttlhIn, on 27 August 2010 - 06:28 AM, said:

Yeah, either that, or going to a real school and getting a real academic education. If you are smart enough to succeed academically, I would suggest going to a real school. Otherwise, just join the army, there's always a room there.

Amit: You're a guest. I'm a fairly direct arrogant SOB and *I* think you're out of line, so you must really be out there.

The O.P. said nothing about not succeeding academically. He never even named the school or said anything about it not being considered 'worthy' by those he interviewed with.

The O.P. was simply looking for a way to gain some experience, get some positive notches on his resume, get some career guideance and experience to help him better decide on a career path - while still putting food on the table. A fairly good outlook on life if you ask me.

Please don't put your sour grapes about your Kracker Jacks prize of a diploma on someone else looking to feed their family and move forward in life. Get out of your mother's basement and quit playing HALO 12 hours a day and you'll find it a little tougher out there for those with ambition and a desire to improve their status in life.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:49 AM

View PostOler1s, on 27 August 2010 - 08:05 AM, said:

Does anyone have any advice/idea and how I can get my foot in the door and break into this career field?
You need to develop a portfolio of work to show off. It will all be personal projects, but they still need to be something demoable.

This is a big point. Also, consider your resume and cover letter, possible networking to get an in, and that you are dealing with HR people. So when you show them your portfolio by sending in a demo app, make sure they can easily run it. Websites are great for this, JAR files are pretty good for this as well.

@Amit: Definitely agree on education, but if the need for a job is immediate, then maybe going back for a degree later is a better idea. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:07 PM

Miltary is always a good way to get experience. It also shows you can handle constantly being under pressure which is good when employers are looking for people who can meet a deadline.

While the military isn't for everyone like someone else mentioned showing off what you can do works too. Make a site profiling your latest and greatest projects and show what you can do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:01 PM

I am a former Marine Corps Infantryman, so I have already gone the military route, and I am currently going to school for CIS, but thank you for that advice. I will into finding out what groups are in my area, I still have a few years of education to complete, I just think it is never too early to look forward.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:39 PM

Are you and NoLove6 the same people?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -