• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

110 Replies - 4905 Views - Last Post: 03 November 2010 - 05:32 AM

• B&

• View blog

military

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:38 PM

Well I don't know where to put this, but are there any worth-my-time-and-life benefits to joining the U.S. armed forces? I'm a college student with plans to transfer to a university nearby. How good are the benefits the armed forces have to offer?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: military

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: military

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:10 PM

Military benefits found here:
http://www.armedforcesbenefits.org/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:22 PM

Join the coast guard, if anything. They don't send you to inexcusably pointless wars, the organization's traditions aren't so pretentious as the rest of them, and you still get the GI bill after playing with guns and yelling at people for a few years.

This post has been edited by Choscura: 28 August 2010 - 01:23 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:53 PM

i would say that someone who has posted about their hatred for the united states federal government before should really consider what it means to sign away your life to them.

This post has been edited by supersloth: 28 August 2010 - 05:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2010 - 01:35 AM

i would say that someone who has posted about their hatred for the united states federal government before should really consider what it means to sign away your life to them.

Also, some interesting jobs in the military may require you to get a clearance which would be made a more difficult endeavor being that you have repeatedly, publicly announced hatred of the us government.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:28 AM

View PostDark_Nexus, on 29 August 2010 - 02:35 AM, said:

Also, some interesting jobs in the military may require you to get a clearance which would be made a more difficult endeavor being that you have repeatedly, publicly announced hatred of the us government.

This. You've already fucked yourself when it comes to joining. It's an honor to wear the uniform and you don't seem that enthused. Why should we waste our time training you and supplying you a uniform if you're not be proud of having it, realize what it means and symbolizes, and potentially cause security risks. You seem untrustworthy already when it comes to national security, so don't even try. This is the only character flaw I have against you, but this is a major one to me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:47 AM

View PostNeoTifa, on 29 August 2010 - 08:28 AM, said:

It's an honor to wear the uniform and you don't seem that enthused. Why should we waste our time training you and supplying you a uniform if you're not be proud of having it, realize what it means and symbolizes, and potentially cause security risks.

Be proud of accomplishments: be proud of contributing to a larger accomplishment, but don't take pride in wearing the same clothes as some people who accomplished something once. Soldiering is primarily about doing something you should be very ashamed of: killing people just like you that you don't know, and breaking their things- and their friends and families things - if they want to do the same thing to you (or, in the case of the US military, if they even want to do it to themselves or somebody else, so you can't even take pride in defense for the most part). Neither of these things are things you should take any pride in or be happy about doing, no matter how well you do them. At best you can be happy that your favorite piece of dirt hasn't been attacked and that you're ready if someone tries to attack it: but pride (and thus any feeling that it is an honor to be doing this) should simply be out of the question.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:50 AM

Hmm, I guess we'll disagree on this one. Being a soldier is defending your country against all enemies, both foreign and domestic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• B&

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:03 AM

and we see who's been brainwashed and who hasn't. I do keep an open mind, but I dislike the CIA, and they don't exactly have a good track record if you've been keeping track.

If you think I am too un-professional that it would affect my work and duties, I just have to say it's much harder to gauge someone's personality and intentions over the interwebs. My opinions are my own, but every now and then you'll catch me spouting bullshlt and trolling.

The internet can trick you into thinking you are anonymous, thus we troll.

In fact, I would tackle this challenge quite professionally, and I really enjoy physical activity, yet do very little. I would look forward to the challenge, and can assure those concerned their trust is not misplaced. I am actually quite a good person, which I feel those around me will corroborate.

How many people actually go around demanding tits and saying "STFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

I didn't disagree with that... did I? My whole argument was "don't be honored by anything but accomplishment: it is not an honor to kill, no matter who you're killing". I only mentioned that the US "defends" other countries- primarily from themselves, or so it seems.

Also, it's logical to make the argument that a "soldier who defends his country against domestic threats" is better known as a 'law enforcement officer'.

EDIT:

Yes, TaylorC8, show us your moobs.

This post has been edited by Choscura: 29 August 2010 - 11:04 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

What I'm doing is helping the defense of our country on the back lines. I help make sure surveillance equipment don't blow up mid air.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:08 AM

Killing in defense of your country is not dishonorable.

Domestic defense would also be the National Guard/Reserves since there is a specific clause that prevents the U.S. active duty military from acting in a police capacity within the United States.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• B&

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:10 AM

That's an opinion, although it's quite obvious the death of the enemy would be most desirable. I think it has nothing to do with honor, however.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:25 AM

View PostKYA, on 29 August 2010 - 10:08 AM, said:

There is no such thing as an honorable killing, only a killing that is called justified and goes unpunished. However much somebody needs to die, it is never an honor to pull the trigger. At the end of the day, honor means nothing: it's just a way to try to make you feel better when you've done something bad that had to be done.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• B&

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:42 AM

@neo
I'm sorry you feel that I am untrustworthy.

This post has been edited by taylorc8: 29 August 2010 - 12:01 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »