3 Replies - 2302 Views - Last Post: 28 August 2010 - 05:23 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Forgetting a Programming Language When Learning Another

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:18 PM

If you are learning a new programming language, did you kind of forgot the previous language you've learned?

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 28 August 2010 - 05:21 PM
Reason for edit:: Title renamed to be more descriptive.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Forgetting a Programming Language When Learning Another

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Forgetting a Programming Language When Learning Another

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

yeah, it was horrible. as soon as i learned C++ i forgot english and had to re-learn english but then i forgot C++. now i'm just playing it safe and sticking with english.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:31 PM

That can happen if you aren't careful. The trick is to continue using as many languages as possible as often as possible so that you stay familiar with them. And, it's also a generally good idea to make sure you have a solid hold on any one language before learning another. If you write a calculator in x and it runs properly, you probably still aren't ready to learn y, because you'll likely forget x.

When learning a language, get a couple of large, non-trivial projects under your belt before you stop using it for any serious length of time. Even then, you still need to try to use the language whenever possible in order to keep familiarity with it. No matter what you do, if you learn enough languages or go without using any language long enough, you're going to forget things about it. Luckily, it's still *in there*, you'll just need to read stuff and write stuff in order to bring it to the surface.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:23 PM

Moved to the Corner Cubicle.

This didn't really happen with me when I learned PHP and worked with it almost exclusively for 3 months during my nonprofit web project. Certainly when I went back to Java I tended to name my variables with a $ and occasionally I forgot a type, but it was only a couple days after switching back and they were minor errors anyways. I had a strong handle on Java anyways and PHP syntax is close enough, so it wasn't much of an issue going back and forth.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1