2 Replies - 1050 Views - Last Post: 29 August 2010 - 11:51 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Eclipse as C++ compiler?

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:17 PM

Is there a way i can make Eclipse Galileo to a C++ compiler. i'm running Ubuntu 10.04 and i don't want to install other C++ IDE in my computer while Eclipse can do it doesn't it?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Eclipse as C++ compiler?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Eclipse as C++ compiler?

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:22 PM

A compiler is an application that can take code and transform it to a different form that can be read by a machine (or a virtual machine).

An IDE (integrated development environment) is an application that typically has a text editor and a ton of other features that integrate with your language, making it easier to compile your code, work through errors, and all sorts of stuff.

An IDE is not a compiler. A compiler is not an IDE.

Eclipse is an IDE. I'm pretty sure there is a plugin (or set of plugins) called CDT or something similar that you can install in Eclipse to give it C++ IDE capabilities. However, unless that plugin comes with a compiler, you'll have to install one yourself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Eclipse as C++ compiler?

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:51 PM

CDT is the eclipse plug-in(s) you want for it. You will also need to install g++ on your Ubuntu. It is quite straight forward to get it to run on Ubuntu, on windows however, it can be a little painful.

g++ is the c++ compiler you would normally use with CDT, although you can find other ones to use.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1