9 Replies - 1010 Views - Last Post: 03 September 2010 - 10:28 PM

#1 tootypegs  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 239
  • Joined: 09-October 07

Activity logger for PHD

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:17 PM

Hello everyone, i have been on this site for a while and Im back now as ive decided to move on and attempt a PHD. I have been recommended to this part of the site by guys in the caffeine lounge, my previous topic is:

My link

Basically for my PHD i want to create an activity logger or key and mouse logger. Not for bad purposes as I realize this is a controversial topic I know. I have been on this site a while, Im not just a randomer hoping to do bad things sort of speak, im just looking for advice.

Basically I want to create a prog that runs in the background monitoring the particular actions a user has with a piece of software, gathering 'Intelligence' sort of speak but with the users knowledge. Kind of like an automated case note software. I have a good reason for it but i wont waste your time by explaining it yet.

Could you guys advice me on good reasearch for me to look at, books or anything to start getting a better grasp of the topic.

Cheers guys

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Activity logger for PHD

#2 skaoth  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

Reputation: 91
  • View blog
  • Posts: 601
  • Joined: 07-November 07

Re: Activity logger for PHD

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:00 PM

If you are looking at writing software on the windows platform, You can look at the windows hooking api
http://msdn.microsof...28VS.85%29.aspx

Its fairly easy to use if you know a little about windows programming
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 tootypegs  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 239
  • Joined: 09-October 07

Re: Activity logger for PHD

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:56 AM

View Postskaoth, on 01 September 2010 - 06:00 PM, said:

If you are looking at writing software on the windows platform, You can look at the windows hooking api
http://msdn.microsof...28VS.85%29.aspx

Its fairly easy to use if you know a little about windows programming


ahh right brilliant sounds like something i should look into. Is it poosible to log / "hook" things that are clicked on? What i mean by this is that say for example I click the 'bookmarks' icon on my browser, could you hook it so that i record of the user clicking the 'bookmarks' tab could be recorded? or am i just thinking that hooks simply record OS events and nothing so specific?

cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 9073
  • View blog
  • Posts: 34,115
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: Activity logger for PHD

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:26 PM

View Posttootypegs, on 01 September 2010 - 04:17 PM, said:

Hello everyone, i have been on this site for a while and Im back now as ive decided to move on and attempt a PHD. I have been recommended to this part of the site by guys in the caffeine lounge, my previous topic is:

My link

Basically for my PHD i want to create an activity logger or key and mouse logger. Not for bad purposes as I realize this is a controversial topic I know. I have been on this site a while, Im not just a randomer hoping to do bad things sort of speak, im just looking for advice.

Basically I want to create a prog that runs in the background monitoring the particular actions a user has with a piece of software, gathering 'Intelligence' sort of speak but with the users knowledge. Kind of like an automated case note software. I have a good reason for it but i wont waste your time by explaining it yet.

Could you guys advice me on good reasearch for me to look at, books or anything to start getting a better grasp of the topic.

Cheers guys


I would love to hear a yarn spun regarding the reasons for it... please.. indulge me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 tootypegs  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 239
  • Joined: 09-October 07

Re: Activity logger for PHD

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:43 PM

based on your awsome reply, probs wont bother then
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 no2pencil  Icon User is online

  • Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

Reputation: 5246
  • View blog
  • Posts: 27,060
  • Joined: 10-May 07

Re: Activity logger for PHD

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:31 PM

View Posttootypegs, on 01 September 2010 - 04:17 PM, said:

Basically for my PHD i want to create an activity logger or key and mouse logger. Not for bad purposes as I realize this is a controversial topic I know. I have been on this site a while, Im not just a randomer hoping to do bad things sort of speak, im just looking for advice.

I have a good reason for it but i wont waste your time by explaining it yet.

What you want to use it for is not relevant. We cannot allow others to learn from it & use it maliciously.

Hooking the Windows API is about as good of advice as I think you are going to get. From there you should be able to work hand in hand with the Windows API to listen for or log whatever Windows API events you wish. Good luck with your project, but please don't post any code here, it will be removed.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#7 tootypegs  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 239
  • Joined: 09-October 07

Re: Activity logger for PHD

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:48 PM

Dont worry I have no code! I wouldnt even know where to start....well the hooking is a start but I have nothing. I wonder then, if I am not welcome to post on here regarding what I wish to do, how will I ever get to learn, I am a bit of an amateur! I totally understand how this is not a good topic and I expected this before I even posted it but thought i would try.

Additionally, I could 'waste your times' and explain fully my PHD choice and reason for it if you like and if it would help? Id even give proof i was enrolled lol! Is there anywhere on here I can post about this?

I know keyloggers are malicious, I just wanted mine to work with the user and to some point be user driven. As previously stated in many of my posts over the years of being here I have stated I work in forensics. This tool was going to be a part of an examination monitoring tool, taking notes about a case on the fly without the user having to stop all of the time and physically make them themselves. The idea behind it is that the tool becomes smarter as it learns about how a person examines. The user is fully aware such a thing is going on.

Again I know this wont help my cause any but I really do want to find somewhere I can come for advice on this, I have a long and from the looks of it lonely 3 years to complete this haha and I hoped this forum could have been a place to harbor and swap advice and opinions with

Cheers anyway guys
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

  • Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon




Reputation: 10461
  • View blog
  • Posts: 38,767
  • Joined: 27-December 08

Re: Activity logger for PHD

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:17 AM

Honestly, the bit about the program learning sounds a lot like an AI thesis for a Masters or Ph.D in Computer Science. You might find it helpful to pick up a book on AI, or enroll in a class. Good luck with your project. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 skaoth  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

Reputation: 91
  • View blog
  • Posts: 601
  • Joined: 07-November 07

Re: Activity logger for PHD

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:22 PM

View Posttootypegs, on 02 September 2010 - 08:56 AM, said:

ahh right brilliant sounds like something i should look into. Is it poosible to log / "hook" things that are clicked on? What i mean by this is that say for example I click the 'bookmarks' icon on my browser, could you hook it so that i record of the user clicking the 'bookmarks' tab could be recorded? or am i just thinking that hooks simply record OS events and nothing so specific?
cheers


The hooks allow you to receive messages from other applications. If you have visual studio you can use a program called spy++. What this tool does is
show you the windows messages(You'll need to read up on how windows performs actions via messages) performed by the application as you interact with it. This tool logs every mouse move, button press, redraw, etc...

I've used this tool to help me embedded google earth into a java app.

I don't think no2pencil means for you to stop posting. just don't post anything that could be used maliciously. In college I had to write
computer viruses as part of a network security course. This is part of learning. However, do it on your own isolated system. You can ask questions here just make sure that are generic enough and about development

This post has been edited by skaoth: 03 September 2010 - 01:27 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#10 WolfCoder  Icon User is offline

  • Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon


Reputation: 783
  • View blog
  • Posts: 7,610
  • Joined: 05-May 05

Re: Activity logger for PHD

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:28 PM

Quote

I have a good reason for it but i wont waste your time by explaining it yet.


I've read Nigerian scams more convincing than you. Just don't forget that some of us are programming to defend machines from people like you. If you're truly learning this for a good reason, you would do well to stay out of their way.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1