• (2 Pages)
  • +

17 Replies - 1659 Views - Last Post: 04 September 2010 - 04:42 AM

• If at first you donít succeed, call it version 1.0
  • member icon

• View blog

Oh.. I am loving this...

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:44 AM

Ok so a while back i was just hanging with my friends and these guys came up to us (They think they can code anything) and started making fun at us for still using windows??? I mean what was that all about?? After a while i figured they were all using either linux or ubuntu (Which i think is about the same thing).. So yesterday i got this...
Posted Image
I think its called Ubutu 10.04 Lucid... and i got to say it ain't that bad...
I've got it running alongside with Windows...
The only thing that bothers me is the fact that i can't code anything here...
The only languages i know are C# and VB.net.. I heard about this thing called mono but i can't figure out how the heck do i get that working...
I think i am gonna have to go and learn lisp or haskell to program here or maybe worse JAVA.. I did a bit of searching on the net and found that C or C++ is the best language for Ubuntu.. with that aside Ubuntu is not a bad OS it handles all my photos and songs and videos and documents ..ETC..ETC..

I'd definitely recommend it to other windows users to atleast try it...

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Oh.. I am loving this...

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Oh.. I am loving this...

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:49 AM

For webdesign/programming I would always use windows over any other OS.

The one and only time I would consider another is when doing print work, then MAC is my preffured option for the performance gain.

If Linux is what works for someone then fantastic, but there is no need for them to push it on others when it is purly a personal preference, like religion, the car you drive, colour of your living room furnature..... etc.

OMG your sofa is red!, lols its all about blue now!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:44 AM

View PostPhunkRabbit, on 02 September 2010 - 04:49 AM, said:

For webdesign/programming I would always use windows over any other OS.

Well, if you're using Windows languages, like anything .NET, you kinda need windows. Web design, unless ASP.NET, is pretty agnostic and can be done on a number of platforms. I prefer web development on Linux; LAMP is currently the Internet winner and being comfortable in the environment would be a plus for any web dev.

I run Linux almost exclusively. Here at work, I'm a .NET programmer. I either remote into a Windows box or run one in VMWare. However, Linux has managed to creep into our "Windows Only" work place over the years.

We use Linux to maintain our website, since the ISP is LAMP. We also have various network utilities mirrored, like NTP and DNS and also FTP servers. A lot of third party hardware, like routers and dedicated boxes, have a hell of a time talking to a windows network. The linux machines bridge the gap nicely.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:52 AM

LAMP is my choice for web server, I was speaking with specific reference to my office desktop.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• binary decision maker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:11 AM

Generally speaking, you can do web development and programming on any platform, it's a matter of personal preference (and maybe moral priorities in the case of free software)
There are very few things you can't do on one that you can do on another. Mostly, it's difficult to do iphone/ipad dev on anything that's not Apple, and .NET is dodgy on non-Microsoft. Of course, testing things in Internet Explorer needs Windows, but that's testing not development.

Mostly, anything people tell you about platform X being good for designing things and platform Y being good for programming things is wrong.
If you prefer X to Y, use X.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:15 AM

If you have very deep pockets then yes any platform will perform a desired action well however working with a more achievable work machine, mac will always out perform a windows machine (when both machines cost the same ammount) when working with graphics, obviously this isnt a graphics forum so I appreciate my statment does not hold much weight in the conversation but as an example I think its relevant.

How often do you develop then test, talking about web design specifically. It would drive me mad having to switch between enviroments for testing during development.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:27 AM

View PostPhunkRabbit, on 02 September 2010 - 06:15 AM, said:

mac will always out perform a windows machine (when both machines cost the same ammount) when working with graphics

I would seriously question this. I'm not mac bashing, or windows loving, but simply on basis of cost. Apple sells hardware, and to some extent lifestyle, and it ain't cheap. It also has zero competition; they set the price. Given the same cash, I'm fairly confident I could put together a windows box that would shame a mac.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:34 AM

Not with the Intel processors, I would agree with you while they were using the G5 processors.

Dont get me wrong, I love my windows box and dont own a mac but I do appreciate the power/stability they offer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:14 AM

View PostPhunkRabbit, on 02 September 2010 - 09:34 AM, said:

Not with the Intel processors, I would agree with you while they were using the G5 processors.

Dont get me wrong, I love my windows box and dont own a mac but I do appreciate the power/stability they offer.

The Intel processors make it even easier to compare - if you compare performance given two equally priced machines, an Apple machine costs more per byte and hertz, so you will get more performance from a non-Apple. Stability is generally accepted as being better, but one cannot claim that Apple has better performance in a particular domain while fixing the cost. Better products/native support, maybe.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:28 AM

You need to account for the way apple utalises the hardware though. Even though your paying more for raw numbers the software uses that equipment in a more efficient way, hence the boost in performance and the side effect from that is apples stability.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:29 AM

View PostbiggerB, on 02 September 2010 - 11:44 AM, said:

The only languages i know are C# and VB.net.. I heard about this thing called mono but i can't figure out how the heck do i get that working...

You can either install it manually or use Synaptic Package Manager to find and install it. I would say that you will need an IDE, therefore you will also need MonoDevelop - the official IDE for Mono (also available through Synaptic).

MonoDevelop is not a requirement, though - you can always work from the Terminal without an IDE - just use a plain text editor and passed the saved file as a parameter to the compiler.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:48 AM

If you have very deep pockets then yes any platform will perform a desired action well however working with a more achievable work machine, mac will always out perform a windows machine (when both machines cost the same ammount) when working with graphics, obviously this isnt a graphics forum so I appreciate my statment does not hold much weight in the conversation but as an example I think its relevant.

How often do you develop then test, talking about web design specifically. It would drive me mad having to switch between enviroments for testing during development.

so you don't own a mac but yet you say a mac will out perform a windows machine?? So I'm guessing you say this because the media feeds you all this bullcrap on how great macs are and how efficient they are..OMGZ, they don't get viruses!! I agree with the others, for the price, you could most certainly build a windows machine that will outperform a mac in the same price point. Don't even get started on the whole "macs are better for graphics" because that is completely untrue. Maybe macs have become the "norm" for graphic designers and such, but its not because they actually perform better when using photoshop.

This post has been edited by bflosabre91: 02 September 2010 - 08:48 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:57 AM

View Postbflosabre91, on 02 September 2010 - 02:48 PM, said:

so you don't own a mac but yet you say a mac will out perform a windows machine?? So I'm guessing you say this because the media feeds you all this bullcrap on how great macs are and how efficient they are..OMGZ, they don't get viruses!! I agree with the others, for the price, you could most certainly build a windows machine that will outperform a mac in the same price point. Don't even get started on the whole "macs are better for graphics" because that is completely untrue. Maybe macs have become the "norm" for graphic designers and such, but its not because they actually perform better when using photoshop.

I dont own many things but it dosnt mean I am not aware of what they are or what they can do, whats this car invention everyone is raving about?

Dont get so hyped up ;)

Ive worked in an enviroment with both PC's and MAC's for a long time, ive used macs alot and not to long ago I was involved in repairing macs along side pc's, so yes, while I dont own one I am aware of their ability.

But alas, I have nothing to bring to this discussion backing my argument so ill take this opportunity to admit defeat, maybe I am missunderstood.

BTW - British media is nothing like the States media ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• binary decision maker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:35 AM

View Postbflosabre91, on 02 September 2010 - 02:48 PM, said:

Don't even get started on the whole "macs are better for graphics" because that is completely untrue. Maybe macs have become the "norm" for graphic designers and such, but its not because they actually perform better when using photoshop.

This.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:00 AM

View PostbiggerB, on 02 September 2010 - 03:44 AM, said:

Ok so a while back i was just hanging with my friends and these guys came up to us (They think they can code anything) and started making fun at us for still using windows??? I mean what was that all about??

It's about them being douche nozzles. Who cares what OS you're using on your desktop if you are productive? Don't get me wrong. Linux is great as a server, but for a desktop OS I could care less so long as I can have all of my development tools.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +