• +

17 Replies - 1645 Views - Last Post: 04 September 2010 - 04:42 AM

• binary decision maker
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Oh.. I am loving this...

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:22 AM

View PostProgrammist, on 03 September 2010 - 03:00 PM, said:

Don't get me wrong. Linux is great as a server, but for a desktop OS I could care less so long as I can have all of my development tools.

http://incompetech.c.../care_less.html
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:32 PM

You need to account for the way apple utalises the hardware though. Even though your paying more for raw numbers the software uses that equipment in a more efficient way, hence the boost in performance and the side effect from that is apples stability.

I don't think you understand what you have just said. Anyway, anything made by Apple is far from perfectly stable or efficient. The NT and Linux kernels are much more efficient, and all three of them are as stable as you can get with complicated consumer OSes.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 03 September 2010 - 10:34 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:42 AM

View Postmoopet, on 02 September 2010 - 04:11 AM, said:

Generally speaking, you can do web development and programming on any platform, it's a matter of personal preference (and maybe moral priorities in the case of free software)
There are very few things you can't do on one that you can do on another. Mostly, it's difficult to do iphone/ipad dev on anything that's not Apple, and .NET is dodgy on non-Microsoft. Of course, testing things in Internet Explorer needs Windows, but that's testing not development.

Mostly, anything people tell you about platform X being good for designing things and platform Y being good for programming things is wrong.
If you prefer X to Y, use X.

Very true, having spent years using everything from BSD to windows, I am positive of one thing, all OS's have are generally the same, the support that they carry for different functionalities differs. But, in the realm of development they are all generally the same.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +