6 Replies - 794 Views - Last Post: 03 September 2010 - 06:57 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Emulators

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:57 AM

Do any of you play games using emulators?

If so, what EMUs do you use for what systems?

Personally I love the zsnes emulator. It is a wonderful chunk of nostalgia and is compatible with XBOX 360 controllers (which is way easier than using a keyboard) from the get-go.

**side note - are emulators and ROMs legal? I would rather stick to Flash games than break have the FCC or whoever suing me - **
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Emulators

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Emulators

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:30 PM

No.. emulators are quite illegal. You are no longer buying the cartridge or disc, but are freely copying them.

Here's nintendo's view:

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp

The introduction of emulators created to play illegally copied Nintendo software represents the greatest threat to date to the intellectual property rights of video game developers.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:50 PM

i thought the emulators are legal but the roms were the illegal part. Thats why you can easily find emulators, like even on the android market, but the emulators specifically say that they will not provide you with the roms. Its kinda weird but that is how i understood it..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• binary decision maker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:23 PM

Of course emulators are legal. Obtaining ROMs may involve breach of copy protection (like your silly DMCA thing) and thus be illegal in some places even if you own the cartridge/disc. In other places it may not. The emulator itself is fine.

That's like saying "downloading is illegal!!11one!"

This post has been edited by moopet: 02 September 2010 - 03:24 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2010 - 05:27 AM

After taking the Nintendo link, I realized that (though it would forever mark me as a tech-douche) I might be able to get hired by game corporations as a ROM hunter of sorts. I could google around and find sites that offer them to be downloaded and then report such sites to the companies whose copyrights are being infringed upon.

<epiphany>
What if the companies made and sold ROMs and emulators so that wishful retro-gamers wouldn't have to use ebay, amazon, craigslist, etc., and local classified ads to hunt down all the games they wished they could've gotten back when they were sold in stores...
</epiphany>
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:42 AM

View PostŠopyrong, on 03 September 2010 - 04:27 AM, said:

<epiphany>
What if the companies made and sold ROMs and emulators so that wishful retro-gamers wouldn't have to use ebay, amazon, craigslist, etc., and local classified ads to hunt down all the games they wished they could've gotten back when they were sold in stores...
</epiphany>

Virtual Console
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Wubba lubba dub dub!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:57 AM

View PostŠopyrong, on 03 September 2010 - 05:27 AM, said:

After taking the Nintendo link, I realized that (though it would forever mark me as a tech-douche) I might be able to get hired by game corporations as a ROM hunter of sorts. I could google around and find sites that offer them to be downloaded and then report such sites to the companies whose copyrights are being infringed upon.

They already have droves of incompetent lawyers to handle that nonsense. You'll also notice that most sites have a disclaimer says you need to have the original disc, cartridge, etc... to avoid legal liability.

All of which is a giant dog and pony show since the items in question are no longer commercially available and the console manufacturer and developers don't stand to make any money off of it anymore. The only thing ROMs and emulators are possibly hurting is the second hand market, which the game industry has already expressed a significant disdain for. They should downright giddy about emulators.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1