Stephen Hawking Says God Did Not Create the Universe! How Was the

How will the Pope respond to God not creating the universe?

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

122 Replies - 4284 Views - Last Post: 13 September 2010 - 07:40 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Stephen Hawking Says God Did Not Create the Universe! How Was the

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:48 PM

Creation came 'from nothing,' not God: Stephen Hawking

Posted Image

"Because there is a law such as gravity, the Universe can and will create itself from nothing," the excerpt says. "Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the Universe exists, why we exist. It is not necessary to invoke God to ... set the Universe going."

Do you believe this mean humans do not have to worry about being punished after death for sins committed while alive?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:52 PM

View PostKYA, on 02 September 2010 - 02:45 PM, said:

I'm sorry to hear that.

Well at least you're one that is open to finding scientific answers to some of these questions no matter if they turn out to be right or wrong.

View PostElcric, on 02 September 2010 - 02:48 PM, said:

Do you believe this mean humans do not have to worry about being punished after death for sins committed while alive?

I don't worry about these "sins", I'll be dead. What do I care about someones idea of what will happen to me after. Doesn't mean I'm going to commit these "sins".

This post has been edited by Christoph: 02 September 2010 - 03:53 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:05 PM

View PostElcric, on 02 September 2010 - 02:48 PM, said:

I don't like to think that my life is a test to find out what kind of afterlife I am granted.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:16 PM

I never understood the whole god story anyway. It seemed to me that Adam and Eve were getting along just fine until god tossed the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

What was the point of that?

*snicker* "Hey Angels, gather around. I'm going to plant this tree and lets see if they eat that nasty shit. Man this is gonna be great!"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:01 PM

<3 Hawking
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:07 PM

View PostKYA, on 02 September 2010 - 02:51 PM, said:

How is something from nothing because of physics more plausible?

It isn't. No one but creationists/intelligent design proponents/criticism of evolution/etc. say this too. Sounds like a quote mine or a misrepresentation.

Muh.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 02 September 2010 - 05:08 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:59 PM

View PostWolfCoder, on 02 September 2010 - 04:07 PM, said:

View PostKYA, on 02 September 2010 - 02:51 PM, said:

How is something from nothing because of physics more plausible?

It isn't. No one but creationists/intelligent design proponents/criticism of evolution/etc. say this too. Sounds like a quote mine or a misrepresentation.

Muh.

This doesn't happen often, but, yeah, i'm going to have to go with WolfCoder on this one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:00 PM

Why God Did Not Create the Universe

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:09 PM

In reality, all this junk came from somewhere unknown. Even so, we still have good ideas. The most common point you'll hear is the fact that instead of pretending to know (by putting God in the gaps or making up armchair stories like religions do), we know we don't know and decide to then actually explore and find out.

Even if we can't yet explore, we will in the future. Often what happens is we discover something even more amazing and unexpected- something we weren't even looking for.

Lots of creationists also don't understand the idea of a useful model. The Earth is not flat, yet for non-nautical distances, doing the math as though the Earth were flat would still get you useful results. Same goes for Newton's models on the Newtonian scale. We end up discarding, and extending these models with better ones.

One of the main drives behind Atheism is that the evidence is suggesting a direction that is completely different than the idea of a God. Even with all of this, there is no religious idea put forth by Atheism as it's only a disbelief in Theism. They don't buy religion, but they aren't selling anything different either- they don't care or need to. The most an Atheist would (or should) do is to attempt to get you to think rationally and reasonably about your own beliefs.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 03 September 2010 - 10:13 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:40 PM

A lot of time the old "how can something come from nothing" argument is used in the theory of Creation. Christians respond with "he just was"(talking about God).

Now take that same thinking and apply it the big bang and what caused it; it just was. You have your answer, and still no closer to the truth.

This post has been edited by Sethro117: 03 September 2010 - 11:42 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:10 AM

View PostWolfCoder, on 03 September 2010 - 09:09 PM, said:

In reality, all this junk came from somewhere unknown. Even so, we still have good ideas. The most common point you'll hear is the fact that instead of pretending to know (by putting God in the gaps or making up armchair stories like religions do), we know we don't know and decide to then actually explore and find out.

Even if we can't yet explore, we will in the future. Often what happens is we discover something even more amazing and unexpected- something we weren't even looking for.

Lots of creationists also don't understand the idea of a useful model. The Earth is not flat, yet for non-nautical distances, doing the math as though the Earth were flat would still get you useful results. Same goes for Newton's models on the Newtonian scale. We end up discarding, and extending these models with better ones.

One of the main drives behind Atheism is that the evidence is suggesting a direction that is completely different than the idea of a God. Even with all of this, there is no religious idea put forth by Atheism as it's only a disbelief in Theism. They don't buy religion, but they aren't selling anything different either- they don't care or need to. The most an Atheist would (or should) do is to attempt to get you to think rationally and reasonably about your own beliefs.

Well said, but it takes a rather simplistic view of anybody who isn't atheist- or as you put it, somebody who doesn't look at their own beliefs as rationally as, say, an atheist.

The biggest problem I have with atheism isn't the neckbeard "I hate god because my parents took me to church!" kidiots: it's the fact that, the same as religion, it alternately overlooks or overemphasizes the use of metaphor. creation in seven days was an appropriate metaphor to the translators who first wrote those words in latin, german and english: however, they aren't what the bible actually says (or even a close approxamation, in modern english a better translation would be "Seven distinct periods of time").
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#27 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:08 AM

Prominent physicist says there is no God. In other news, book sales are up... How can this even be a surprise?

The surprise is the inherent stupidity of a few things from the article. The universe didn't come from "God", but from "nothing". He might just well have said "the Tao" or X, it really doesn't say anything. Though, amusingly, is does equate God with nothing, so it could just be a theoretical physics joke.

The thing that really got me was this bit a drivel:

Hawking said the first reason is the 1992 discovery of a planet orbiting a star other than the sun.

"That makes the coincidences of our planetary conditions the single sun, the lucky combination of earth-sun distance and solar mass, far less remarkable, and far less compelling evidence that the earth was carefully designed just to please us human beings. Not just other planets like the earth, other universes may exist," he said.

Really? Out of "billions and billions of stars" you needed to actually fine one to believe our little setup isn't unique? Is nature of our planetary condition your proof of God in the first place? Have they changed your meds?

It's really a lame excuse. It's more likely his younger self didn't want to offend religion and now he's too old to care. And, apparently, to lie convincingly. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:57 AM

Just to add to what Baavgai just mentioned ( I hope I am not stepping on any toes), even from a religious point of view: evolution (survival of those that are capable of surviving and the death of those that can't) exists here, and would logically exist anywhere else: and so any set of circumstances in which life began (even if those circumstances do not resemble the circumstances here) would become the 'ideal environment' for that life. If live evolved on mars, oxygen would probably not be part of the equation, nor would water. If it evolved on Saturn, Saturn's gases, tremendous gravity, and all factors of that environment would be ideal for that life. To say that life can only exist if it is exactly like our own is frighteningly short sighted: even life on this planet was strange and alien when it began, because the environment here was different then than it is now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• B&

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:01 AM

I honestly believe this thread will be fruitless and leave every participant dissatisfied because no one can prove the answer to the origins of the universe.

I opt to not participate and tell you why.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:32 AM

View PostElcric, on 02 September 2010 - 05:48 PM, said:

My first thought here is -- it really does not seem to be that big a deterrent anyway. Lets face facts, people kill, hurt, steal, cheat, lie, and jaywalk and God is doing nothing about it in any real sense that makes the promise of eternal damnation real. There are no eye witness accounts of hell, there are no viral videos of demons wrestling the souls of evil doers to hell. There are however videos of priests being convicted of sexually assaulting children, after years of the "church" defending them because they were "repentant".

So if you look at the reality of day to day lives, Hell is not a deterrent to the most faithful, nor to those who honestly can't see the positive effects of God in their lives.

So if the thought of eternal damnation keeps you from jaywalking or killing your noisy neighbor I am very glad that you have found a system that works for you, but for the rest of humanity maybe it really is time to find another basis for morality besides: "Because the Big Invisible Guy in the sky told our ancestors that these things enumerated here are bad".

Honestly I think that those faithful and unfaithful that ARE good people are so because they wish to be good and not because they wish to avoid hell or have an air conditioned afterlife.

Evolution at least offers us this: If we, as a species, do not find a way to coexist with each other and our environment then "we" will cease to exist. There would be great tragedy in coming so far only to loose everything that our collective efforts have achieved simply because we believed that there was some God watching out for us.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »