3D Game

• (2 Pages)
  • +

17 Replies - 2594 Views - Last Post: 11 September 2010 - 07:51 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

3D Game

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:25 PM

I would like to develop a 3D game.
I'm thinking of a race bike on track with a number of laps ...
What I need to learn to develop? Which language would be recommended? I would like some tips

Thanks
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: 3D Game

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 3D Game

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:26 PM

You could go the Java route and look at Java3D. I believe XNA is capable of 3D graphics, and C++ has similar capabilities with the OpenGL library.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:30 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 02 September 2010 - 06:26 PM, said:

You could go the Java route and look at Java3D. I believe XNA is capable of 3D graphics, and C++ has similar capabilities with the OpenGL library.

Ideally, C++ and OpenGL?
I never developed a game like that. How do I begin? What steps do you recommend? Studying OpenGL?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:49 PM

Ideally, C++ and OpenGL?
Why do you consider C++ and OpenGL ideal? What requirements do you have that makes C++ and OpenGL ideal?

I'd tell you investigate Unity first. It's a game engine, so you can build on top of that. If Unity doesn't suit your needs, consider Python or C#. Python has a few different options like Panda3D and PyGame, while C# has XNA, or if you wish, other options like SlimDX and the Tao bindings. Those are your best options, (I'm saying best from the beginner's point of view).

I never developed a game like that. How do I begin?
By figuring out what platform serves you best. That's what you're doing right now by evaluating options like Unity, XNA, Panda3D, and so on.

Studying OpenGL?
You wouldn't be touching OpenGL to start with, no.

What can you do right now? Can you program? Can you contribute to art? Or music?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:43 PM

View PostOler1s, on 02 September 2010 - 06:49 PM, said:

Ideally, C++ and OpenGL?
Why do you consider C++ and OpenGL ideal? What requirements do you have that makes C++ and OpenGL ideal?

I'd tell you investigate Unity first. It's a game engine, so you can build on top of that. If Unity doesn't suit your needs, consider Python or C#. Python has a few different options like Panda3D and PyGame, while C# has XNA, or if you wish, other options like SlimDX and the Tao bindings. Those are your best options, (I'm saying best from the beginner's point of view).

I never developed a game like that. How do I begin?
By figuring out what platform serves you best. That's what you're doing right now by evaluating options like Unity, XNA, Panda3D, and so on.

Studying OpenGL?
You wouldn't be touching OpenGL to start with, no.

What can you do right now? Can you program? Can you contribute to art? Or music?

I know c++, java, python and php. But I'm not an expert in none.
Before learning a 3D graphics platform, I should very well know a language?
My main question is knowing where to start. What should I learn first?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:41 PM

I would like to develop a 3D game. I'm thinking of a race bike on track with a number of laps ...
What I need to learn to develop? Which language would be recommended? I would like some tips

I'm thinking of building a skyscraper... where should I start? What kinds of materials should I use? Do you think I should learn architecture?

I was thinking about designing a sports car... can someone guide me? I heard of this thing called CAD programs: Should I use one of those?

Look, I'm not trying to be an ass; it just comes effortlessly. But the simple fact is that if you are so unmotivated on ANY topic as to have ask questions like these then it's probably not a field you are really interested in. Life is far too short to be trudging along in some career that you don't like or care about. Find something that excites you. Find something that you *want* to do so strongly that you can't wait to get out of bed. Find something that you are willing to Google all by yourself instead of asking others to do your research for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:15 AM

View PosttlhIn, on 02 September 2010 - 09:41 PM, said:

I would like to develop a 3D game. I'm thinking of a race bike on track with a number of laps ...

I'm thinking of building a skyscraper... where should I start? What kinds of materials should I use? Do you think I should learn architecture?

I was thinking about designing a sports car... can someone guide me? I heard of this thing called CAD programs: Should I use one of those?

Look, I'm not trying to be an ass; it just comes effortlessly. But the simple fact is that if you are so unmotivated on ANY topic as to have ask questions like these then it's probably not a field you are really interested in. Life is far too short to be trudging along in some career that you don't like or care about. Find something that excites you. Find something that you *want* to do so strongly that you can't wait to get out of bed. Find something that you are willing to Google all by yourself instead of asking others to do your research for you.

I'm asking advice about what is needed to develop a game. If you have nothing constructive to post please do not reply
Was This Post Helpful? -2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:48 AM

I found the Ogre 3D engine, looks pretty complete. It's a good engine?

Panda3d I found very interesting. But it is only in python?

This post has been edited by Apprentice123: 03 September 2010 - 10:52 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:44 AM

Ogre3D is good, yes. It's only a graphics engine, so you'll have to handle anything aside from rendering. Panda3D should be usable through C++ as well. The idea is that most people would take advantage of the Python bindings, but the engine itself is usable through C++.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#10 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:00 PM

View PostApprentice123, on 03 September 2010 - 01:15 PM, said:

I'm asking advice about what is needed to develop a game. If you have nothing constructive to post please do not reply

Apprentice123, I think thlIn'toq's point is regarding research. It is probably a good idea to do preliminary research regarding languages you are familiar with and the project you are going for. If you want to do C++ 3D Game programming, then do a search for such to gather some information such as libraries to use, articles and tutorials, etc. Then if you still have questions, come back and ask. Often times, this research will get you to a place where you can start playing around with the libraries and writing some code. And even if it doesn't, you will be more familiar with the technologies and have a better idea of what you will need to get to the point where you can write code. :)

Also, I think I'm going to move this to Game Programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:03 PM

View PostOler1s, on 03 September 2010 - 10:44 AM, said:

Ogre3D is good, yes. It's only a graphics engine, so you'll have to handle anything aside from rendering. Panda3D should be usable through C++ as well. The idea is that most people would take advantage of the Python bindings, but the engine itself is usable through C++.

Thank you. I'll start learning panda3d
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:13 PM

Apprentice i can honestly say that its gonna be a lot of work getting into programming a 3D game. I can almost promise you it will be at least a year before you complete your goal if you wish to thoroughly learn the programming language and libraries you intend to use. Its a challenging road but indeed a very fun one. If you dont think your up to it - i advise you dont waste you time. But if you are, most people would advise learning how to use the programming language before using an actual engine. I use OpenGL and C++ for what I do. I suggest starting with making 2d games. An amusing way to make 2d games is using OpenGL primitives, it kind of takes out the use of graphics and you focus 100% on the code and game itself. This requires a lot of knowledge of 3D math, 2D math, physics, matrices and all of those complicated concepts that you just didn't see the point of in high school math ;)

I wish you the best of luck - Game programming is highly self rewarding.

This post has been edited by mager1794: 05 September 2010 - 08:16 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:27 PM

I installed panda3d on windows 7. Only it can not run the examples of the folder samples.
If I click on the examples directly opens and closes quickly, the screen prompt.
If I try to open the prompt appears these errors:
display(error): driver, GDI Generic, only supports software rendering.
display(error): You need to install a hardware-accelerated OpenGL driver, or,
display(error): if you actually *want* to use a software renderer, then
display(error): alter the hardware/software configuration in your Config.prc file.
display(error): Window wouldn't open; abandoning window.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:53 PM

Discover the problem. It was the video card drivers that were outdated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:27 PM

In panda3d manual recommends using Visual C++ on windows. I usually use NetBeans, you how to configure the panda3d netbenas?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +