• +
  • Last »

65 Replies - 2215 Views - Last Post: 13 September 2010 - 12:16 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

How to fix the world economy?

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:13 AM

What should be done to fix the world economy?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to fix the world economy?

• binary decision maker
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to fix the world economy?

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:02 AM

We should mortgage Earth with the Intergalactic Bank of Our Alien Overlords.

Failing that, er, scrap capitalism?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:30 AM

"The US Congress with its proposed House Resolution 1553 is engaged in giving the green light for an Israeli attack on Iran, indicating in advance its support for such an action."

If WWII cured Great Depression. Is WWIII A Cure For Global Economy?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:08 AM

According to my understanding of the events leading up to the US entering ww2, the allies in europe gave america credit (which was used to build everything). Since America currently already has everything it would need- even to make it through a significant (even a sustained) conflict with china, russia, and all of the middle east- I doubt this would be a real option the second time around.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:49 PM

get off our lazy asses and build some thorium nuclear plants

but uf courze we woudl rather sit infront of our awesome computers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:04 PM

Let banks do whatever they think is best! They're the experts, after all. Oops, that didn't work. :P

Banks used to be pretty simple. Most banks dealt with the straight forward daily business of savings, loans, collections. When the stock market crashed in 1929, laws were passed to make sure banks didn't muck about with dangerous things like stocks.

While some of those laws were repealed soon after, banks still had regulations and grew slowly as the US economy recovered. For decades, the interest rate on a loan was about 7%, banks wouldn't generally take risks, and were the very archetype of stability.

In the 1970s, deregulation began. Everyone made money, until bad things happened. Lack of regulation is rarely blamed for this and the criminals are rarely held accountable.

Short answer: hold financial institutions responsible for screwing over their customers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:20 PM

Remove 401k & let people invest their own money.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:26 AM

"THE Great Depression and its aftermath demonstrate that there is only one way back to full recovery: through more widely shared prosperity. In the 1930s, the American economy was completely restructured. New Deal measures Social Security, a 40-hour work week with time-and-a-half overtime, unemployment insurance, the right to form unions and bargain collectively, the minimum wage leveled the playing field."

How to End the Great Recession
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:31 AM

The notion now is that such welfare programs actually lengthened the Great Depression by four years.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2010 - 11:39 AM

View PostKYA, on 05 September 2010 - 11:31 AM, said:

The notion now is that such welfare programs actually lengthened the Great Depression by four years.

Who's notion, exactly? It's just, it sounds like an impossible to prove opinion. Hmm, I can read wiki too:

"Taken as a whole, government policies of the New Deal served to lengthen and deepen the Great Depression." While only 6% of economic historians who worked in the history department of their universities agreed with the statement, 27% of those that work in the economics department agreed.
-- http://en.wikipedia...._the_Depression

The statement is New Deal as a whole, not strictly welfare. The question was posed as such, with a call for agree or not. About 1 in 20 actual economic historians agreed, while a little over 1/4 people "work in the economics department" agreed. So, most disagree, by a whole lot, to an asked and answered question.

Ironically, the snippet is part of a paper called "Where Is There Consensus Among American Economic Historians?"

It's hard to know which is worse, soft "science" or statistics. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• if(coden4fun.NotTired){ ContinueToCode(); }
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2010 - 11:45 AM

Tax churches. They take in billions of dollars a year; they pay no taxes. I believe if we start seeing some of the money that Mormons, Catholics, Scientology and other huge capitalism religions were profiting we could start minimizing our deficit, and possibly, eventually make it a surplus.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:14 PM

View Postcoden4fun, on 05 September 2010 - 10:45 AM, said:

Tax churches. They take in billions of dollars a year; they pay no taxes. I believe if we start seeing some of the money that Mormons, Catholics, Scientology and other huge capitalism religions were profiting we could start minimizing our deficit, and possibly, eventually make it a surplus.

Then we tax Non Profits as well. Do you really want advocate taxing of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation? I mean if that's okay with you, then cool. Tax all non profits, including religious organizations, but don't just tax a single category of organization within the non profit structure.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• if(coden4fun.NotTired){ ContinueToCode(); }
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:16 PM

View Postccubed, on 05 September 2010 - 11:14 AM, said:

Then we tax Non Profits as well. Do you really want advocate taxing of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation? I mean if that's okay with you, then cool. Tax all non profits, including religious organizations, but don't just tax a single category of organization within the non profit structure.

Dude, the mormons, catholics, and espeically Scientology are profiteering off of their tithing. They buy/sell property all the time, and other interest off the tithings they get from their people.

And just because they slap a non-profit sticker and obey some of the laws or obey them until they get the paper doesn't mean that they're a non-profit organization. There are scandals all the time in these organizations. It is true that many of them are actually doing the work they tell people they're doing, and it is of good use, but I would say that there are also embezzlement's all over these organizations.

This post has been edited by coden4fun: 05 September 2010 - 01:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:13 PM

View Postcoden4fun, on 05 September 2010 - 12:16 PM, said:

View Postccubed, on 05 September 2010 - 11:14 AM, said:

Dude, the mormons, catholics, and espeically Scientology are profiteering off of their tithing. They buy/sell property all the time, and other interest off the tithings they get from their people.

And just because they slap a non-profit sticker and obey some of the laws or obey them until they get the paper doesn't mean that they're a non-profit organization. There are scandals all the time in these organizations. It is true that many of them are actually doing the work they tell people they're doing, and it is of good use, but I would say that there are also embezzlement's all over these organizations.

Yes, we happen to buy/sell property all the time. Being a catholic, we have many uses for the property we buy. Some of it is used as half way homes, others as shelters and yet some are simply for religious purposes. The tithings received are given to the bishop of the diocese in question who then passes on to each church in his diocese an amount of money. The diocese itself also keeps some of the money to further its own goals.

The catholic church happens to be among the richest people in the world. One, we currently have quite a bit more people than most other religions and that equates to more tithes. Two, we've been around longer and had a lot of time to build stores of funds. Three, we have one of the longest standing literary archive in the world. Four, we have some of the oldest works of art and buildings ever conceived and built. This isn't anything we had direct control over.

Finally, there are scandals in ALL non-profits. Embezzlement happens everywhere, non profit or not. Some of it is even government enabled (huge bonuses for executives from the stimulus package). However, declaring embezzlement to be a problem in only non-profits is a lie. I would also wager a bet that less people embezzle from non profits on average than people from other more wealthy corporations.

The bottom line is: Non profits exist to not make a profit and most churches don't. The catholic church, through all its ownership, still is only able to garner that through the donations of others. The catholic church itself doesn't actually have businesses that make money. Saying that a donation is income would mean that we could do away with all non profits, along with the nice tax breaks that come from giving to charity organizations.

So really, who are you kidding?

This post has been edited by ccubed: 05 September 2010 - 04:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:42 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 05 September 2010 - 11:39 AM, said:

Who's notion, exactly? It's just, it sounds like an impossible to prove opinion. Hmm, I can read wiki too:

I'll look for the article I was reading. Wasn't from Wikipedia; if I recall correctly it was from National Review, so that's about the same in some people's eyes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »