• (2 Pages)
  • +

24 Replies - 6122 Views - Last Post: 14 September 2010 - 09:25 AM

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Google Instant

Post icon  Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:32 PM

Google launched a new type of search, called Google Instant. If you are logged in with a Google account, try navigating to the Google homepage and typing a search query. If Instant is activated for your account, then you should see results being displayed the moment you type.

What's Google Instant?

What do you think about it?

Personally, I find it a bit more useful since I can instantly see the results I am getting and I can modify the search query to find something I need when I see that the returned list is not quite relevant.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Google Instant

• Pirate King
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Google Instant

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:37 PM

The real solution to Google Instant is to simply learn to type faster. If someone takes 90 seconds to type a search, as Google claims, they're still taking 85 seconds according to their save 5 seconds logic. More importantly even if this "saves time" what's the drawback in terms of raw processing power of my browser and added javascript code to dowload? I don't like having my RAM sucked up for 2 to 5 seconds. I don't suffer from such a dramatic case of attention deficit that I can't spend 2 to 5 seconds more. This is what happens when technical people are allowed to think without restraint. Google isn't a factory assembly line. 2 to 5 seconds doesn't mean squat to a human being as he will still likely have to type another query to get better results. I rarely, if EVER get what I want on my first submission to Google, and the predictive query is just as useless. They also fail to take into account modifying the query as a result of these new results appearing, which will likely delay you in another way.

This post has been edited by grimpirate: 08 September 2010 - 12:43 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:47 PM

View Postgrimpirate, on 08 September 2010 - 08:37 PM, said:

More importantly even if this "saves time" what's the drawback in terms of raw processing power of my browser and added javascript code to dowload? I don't like having my RAM sucked up for 2 to 5 seconds.

What kind of computer do you use that it has such a dramatic effect on the overall performance?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate King
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:00 PM

256 MB RAM, not everyone has the latest and greatest. Google themselves even attests to the fact that they will disable the feature for people who have slower internet connections.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:18 PM

it cost more in terms of bytes received, if your on quota before your ISP charges, sending multiple requests isn't going to help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code T(h)inkers
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:51 PM

Personally, I don't think it will affect me that much. I usually type my search query in the address bar, instead of using the Google homepage. And I think there's quite a number of people who uses the address bar now too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:03 PM

I like it personally. Love being able to change my query on the fly like that. I also think that it will help users find what they want quicker as well.

--

Greg
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:28 PM

this is going to be great for people with really elaborate sexual fetishes. i feel they will be able to find what they are looking for much faster.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:33 PM

Us guys over the pond must wait a little longer for this to be rolled out, but it dces look interesting. Although most of my searches are done via the AwesomeBar these days.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:59 PM

View PostDark_Nexus, on 08 September 2010 - 08:28 PM, said:

this is going to be great for people with really elaborate sexual fetishes. i feel they will be able to find what they are looking for much faster.

Yes it will save so much time and you will be able to explore other options faster :wank:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:01 PM

View PostDark_Nexus, on 08 September 2010 - 03:28 PM, said:

FINALLY!!!!!!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:23 PM

It seems like an interesting idea, although it may become a problem for computers with less RAM.
I look forward to seeing future improvements.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:29 PM

I think this was a logical step considering they already auto-complete what you type into the search box.

I will have to give this a try on my 2001 g3 iBook (333mhz), but I think you would honestly need to have a pretty old computer for something like this to be an issue.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:34 PM

I will have to give this a try on my 2001 g3 iBook (333mhz), but I think you would honestly need to have a pretty old computer for something like this to be an issue.

I am unsure what year my Compaq is but it is fairly old and has difficulty with a variety of sites. Youtube and grooveshark in particular prove to be more than it can handle at times.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:31 PM

Ack, turns out I need a newer version of Firefox to use the instant search feature. :(

View PostSwitch(), on 08 September 2010 - 08:34 PM, said:

I am unsure what year my Compaq is but it is fairly old and has difficulty with a variety of sites. Youtube and grooveshark in particular prove to be more than it can handle at times.

I don't know what Grooveshark is but Youtube uses Flash which is likely where the problem is.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +