• +

24 Replies - 6322 Views - Last Post: 14 September 2010 - 09:25 AM

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Google Instant

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:58 PM

View PostDark_Nexus, on 08 September 2010 - 03:28 PM, said:

this is going to be great for people with really elaborate sexual fetishes. i feel they will be able to find what they are looking for much faster.

I fail to see how this gets gabehabe into a nurse uniform, taking my temperature with a rectal thermometer...

<ontopic>
But I do like the new Google. I like how the page shifts between when you are searching, to your input box ontop & the results ... you know, on the rest of the page. It's a slick layout.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:17 PM

I noticed this at school today and I was like...well, this is cool. But I don't notice a huge difference, since I don't look at the screen when I type...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:25 PM

hunt and peck huh? sucker.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:53 PM

I don't think it is necessary at all due to the point made by grimpirate about how you never get what you want with the first submission of google. I don't mind that it is taking up any more RAM, but it just doesn't seem necessary as most people think of the search query that they are going to use before they even navigate to google.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:18 PM

ok so now you can think differently about searching.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:14 AM

I have mixed feelings about it. I do like the auto-complete and the spell checker, but the quick search is a bit annoying. My screen appears to flash every time it redoes the searches which quickly gives me a headache. Also I've noticed that the suggestion drop down that comes up will at times not go away even when you've hit enter. Its not untill you click one of the suggestions that it will go away. I see no reason why we need to have it redo the search after every letter I type. If your company monitors the traffic i can see this becoming bad if you happen to be searching for something non-dirty, but during the coarse of typing in the search it brings up NSFW links.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate King
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:08 AM

You have to modify your search options and engage SafeSearch in order for those NSFW links not to appears.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:49 PM

I think this is more a benefit for the casual surfer. Like someone who doesn't type all that fast and has problems deciding what to type in Google to find what they are looking for. People who type with any amount of speed or use Google on an hourly basis to check on things won't benefit in the least. It is still a kewl novelty though :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:14 AM

Just a heads up if this doesn't work for you you might need to delete google cookies.

This wouldn't work on my account even using the 'try instant now' from the instant website.

I think this is more likely to waste time than save it, with search results coming up for things you weren't actually looking for, but look interesting enough to give a click.

However it does help with refining searches to get the best results.

One thing which is now lacking is previous search history, for that awesome website you found the other day.

So its helpful and can improve searches and has got novelty value but as for saving time that depends how easily your distracted.

This post has been edited by rs4: 14 September 2010 - 02:14 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:25 AM

I feel that it is distracting as I type in my search. Especially when I have a very specific topic in mind that shares the first 2 or 3 characters with a popular news related thing (i.e. Justin Bieber). I don't care what he is doing I'm just trying to find something like "justifying LaTeX". But it can be shut off. So I'm ok with it. Also, for those mentioning the elaborate sexual fantasies. Google Image Search (and video) do not have this feature. I feel those people would be more interested in that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +