• +
  • Last »

127 Replies - 4165 Views - Last Post: 13 September 2010 - 06:32 PM

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Religion

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:08 PM

Anyways, in an attempt to move all that out of the How to fix the world economy thread, I've broken down and created a religion thread - soon to be just another flame war in the caffeine lounge. This is a few of the things we were yelling at each other about.

- Was the bible written by men for men or was it inspired by god and written by man?

My Answer: It was inspired by God and written by men, but that's why the two styles are so different. No two books are that similar unless written by the same author. They're men. God didn't descend and move their hand across the paper. It's only natural they write in a way they understand, others would understand and about things that were happening in their world that mattered to them.

- Is God Real?

My Answer: This is always a good one, guaranteed to spawn a 200 post thread. Anyways, my opinion is the same as always: God exists.

- Does God have an active hand in his creation?

My Answer: He can, but he doesn't need to. Miracles happen, that's where he interacts with us, but otherwise, he gave it to us. Now we sink or swim on our own.

That's just a few to get it all started.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Religion

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Religion

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:09 PM

1. it was written by man because god doesn't exist.
2. uh, see 1.
3. obviously not. because god isn't real.

/FUCKING THREAD.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:13 PM

all matters on religion and the "unknown" from a non-scientific context are merely speculation. so...speculate away my friend. chances are, you're wrong.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:36 PM

This thread is funny
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:51 PM

Wow, adult flamewar...

I am home :)

btw, I'm atheist.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:01 PM

I disagree with everything you said.

Isn't that simple enough? :\
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:01 PM

OH YEAH! *ATHEIST HI-5*
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:12 PM

View PostChristoph, on 10 September 2010 - 04:01 PM, said:

OH YEAH! *ATHEIST HI-5*

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• if(coden4fun.NotTired){ ContinueToCode(); }
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:17 PM

I am an atheist. I'm writing a book entitled, "Hitting Below the Bible Belt". I am a Darwinian Evolutionist. There is overwhelming evidence that makes Darwinian Evolution a fact.

Darwinian Evolution completely contradicts the Book of Genesis when God created Adam and Eve and the human population sprung from only 2 people and Christian believe between 10,000 - 12,000 years.

It's amazing how long primitive man has been on this Earth, how long Earth existed before primitive man, yet there is no question for around 95,000 years (assuming that humans were alive for at least 100,000 years) God didn't intervene in their death and decaying life at all. AT ALL.

Second, if you are one who believes in the Tower of Babel. You postulate that people began building this massive tower to reach God, and he took his hand and shook it so, and people scattered, and their tongues scattered as well. Well, I've always have had an interesting question pertaining this.

We know that the tower didn't reach far beyond our own atmosphere because of the lack of technology they would need to do so, or the fact that they wouldn't of been able to breathe passing certain atmospheres. And, we know that we have traveled through space many-of-times before, so why did god not scatter us when we landed on the moon, the first time we went around our planet in a spaceship, or sent a robot to Mars? Did we not learn our lesson the first time?

Third, I have a problem with the ethics that religion brings to the table, and have mindless zombies believe in. For instance, the 10th commandment says "Thy shall not covet thy neighbors wife, ox, ass, blah blah blah... manservant or maidservant." Apparently it was OK in god's eyes for slavery (manservant and maidservant) as long as our neighbors didn't envy our slaves, or we didn't get envy theirs?

Man made religion? Of course it is. It's all man made. Why do Christians read the Old Testament and the New Testament but neglect any validity in the Gnostic Bible? Wasn't it written around the same time as the New Testament?

I'm an atheist as it should blatantly be obvious by now. Anyone who tries to refute Darwinian Evolution, or try to make special cases for any religion who has any parable close or in the ball park of Genesis are completely delusional for Darwinian Evolution has to be bat-shit crazy delusively nuts!

Many people ask me why I am an atheist, and I point out; When it comes to Zeus, Mithra, Krishna, Horus or the Flying Spaghetti Monster they are an atheist as well. I just go one god further.

This post has been edited by coden4fun: 10 September 2010 - 05:20 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:20 PM

DERP
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:28 PM

coden it's hard to believe anything you say when you assert that the book of Genesis specifically claims Young Earth Creationism.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• if(coden4fun.NotTired){ ContinueToCode(); }
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:34 PM

View PostKYA, on 10 September 2010 - 04:28 PM, said:

coden it's hard to believe anything you say when you assert that the book of Genesis specifically claims Young Earth Creationism.

Never asserted Earth Creationism just where we get Adam and Eve.

Genesis: Chapter 2 - The Story of Adam and Eve and the beginning of incest procreation.

However, if it did come across as if I am stating Genesis claims Young Earth Creationism; I will gladly edit my post. However, Genesis does claim God created everything in six days and rested on the 7th. Ok, well that is some bullshit that is hard to swallow.

@KYA, I can't believe anything that you say when it comes to religion, because you already have a bias toward your own religion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:34 PM

View Postcoden4fun, on 10 September 2010 - 04:17 PM, said:

I am an atheist. I'm writing a book entitled, "Hitting Below the Bible Belt". I am a Darwinian Evolutionist. There is overwhelming evidence that makes Darwinian Evolution a fact.

Darwinian Evolution completely contradicts the Book of Genesis when God created Adam and Eve and the human population sprung from only 2 people and Christian believe between 10,000 - 12,000 years.

Most Christians, me not included, don't realize that the important thing of that whole story is the ORDER of things, not the literal representation of things.

For the record, I believe in Evolution.

It's amazing how long primitive man has been on this Earth, how long Earth existed before primitive man, yet there is no question for around 95,000 years (assuming that humans were alive for at least 100,000 years) God didn't intervene in their death and decaying life at all. AT ALL.

Second, if you are one who believes in the Tower of Babel. You postulate that people began building this massive tower to reach God, and he took his hand and shook it so, and people scattered, and their tongues scattered as well. Well, I've always have had an interesting question pertaining this.

We know that the tower didn't reach far beyond our own atmosphere because of the lack of technology they would need to do so, or the fact that they wouldn't of been able to breathe passing certain atmospheres. And, we know that we have traveled through space many-of-times before, so why did god not scatter us when we landed on the moon, the first time we went around our planet in a spaceship, or sent a robot to Mars? Did we not learn our lesson the first time?

The tower of babel is a euphemism for the differing cultures around the world and how hard it was to truly communicate with each other because we began to separate into groups based on that culture. We started developing differing languages and started to compare our situations with others. This leads to a disconnect between people.

Third, I have a problem with the ethics that religion brings to the table, and have mindless zombies believe in. For instance, the 10th commandment says "Thy shall not covet thy neighbors wife, ox, ass, blah blah blah... manservant or maidservant." Apparently it was OK in god's eyes for slavery (manservant and maidservant) as long as our neighbors didn't envy our slaves, or we didn't get envy theirs?

Man made religion? Of course it is. It's all man made. Why do Christians read the Old Testament and the New Testament but neglect any validity in the Gnostic Bible? Wasn't it written around the same time as the New Testament?

Slavery in the bible is interesting. However, it was a two way street. You were required to treat your slave with the utmost respect. No it doesn't condemn slavery until the new testament, but that's because at the time of the old testament, slavery was just another part of life. Telling someone of that time period that slavery was wrong would have probably solicited the same response as telling someone of our generation that computers are evil.

As to the Gnostic bible, it's not so much condemned as it is not considered a part of the bible. And the Gnostic bible is a very different thing from the new testament as it has been compiled today - even when compared with the KJV or original Hebrew.

As with even the Apocrypha, they aren't condemned so much as considered extra-curricular reading. They're nice stories, but they don't really seem to fit with the bible. There's very few books truly condemned.

I'm an atheist as it should blatantly be obvious by now. Anyone who tries to refute Darwinian Evolution, or try to make special cases for any religion who has any parable close or in the ball park of Genesis are completely delusional for Darwinian Evolution has to be bat-shit crazy delusively nuts!

Many people ask me why I am an atheist, and I point out; When it comes to Zeus, Mithra, Krishna, Horus or the Flying Spaghetti Monster they are an atheist as well. I just go one god further.

I believe that God 'started' it all, as in the big bang or whatever else you believe started us, but I don't think he actively created each piece of the universe.

As you read this, note that my answers are from my own perspective, not my religion's or anyone else's and may not match my religion's or anyone else's religion's.

also, funny pic: The religions. (NO offense meant to anyone, I think it's funny)
Spoiler

Put it in spoiler tags so i don't offend anyone unintentionally.

This post has been edited by ccubed: 10 September 2010 - 05:36 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:40 PM

I am not offended and amused.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:43 PM

1. When I was a little kid and asked who wrote the Bible, I was told God. "Well, there you are," I thought. How can anyone not believe in God if He wrote a book? I was a curious/annoying kid and wanted to know the particulars; what did God write with? Was it cursive?

Later, I found out that the Book was written by people. Inspired by God, but written by people. I asked if the Greek myths were inspired by those gods. No, those ones didn't exist, just this one. I wanted to know how you could tell. I was told I'd understand when I was older.

I still don't know how you can tell. I sometimes pray to Thor; he drinks, feasts, parties every day, and makes sure lighting doesn't kill me. I'm all in favor of that.

2. As real as Thor ( Odin is the Creator, All-Father, but sometimes big T fills in). Or Gaia ( catch all name for oldest know deity, Earth Mommy power ), Enki ( one of the oldest named creators ), Amun ( Ra is the sun god, Ra is the fun god, Ra, Ra, Ra! ), Zeus, Brahma, the Great Spirit, Raven ( a rare Trickster Creator, along with Anansi ).

There are many, many more. Sorry to those I forgot. We'll talk.

3. Only in a leet, ninja kind of way. Or perhaps He's just shy. Believers may see Him everywhere. Non-believers, not at all. If He's not making Himself known, does it really matter if he's there or not?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »