4 Replies - 669 Views - Last Post: 11 September 2010 - 09:17 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

How slow a computer can I use?

Posted 11 September 2010 - 05:36 PM

Hi,

Sorry if this isn't the right forum to ask, I couldn't find an "off-topic" one. My question is, how slow a computer can I use to learn and make simple indie games in C++? In the near future I won't be able to be home much to use my desktop computer, and I was planning to buy some cheap used laptop for no more than $100. Looking around, I see that a price like that will likely get me something that's like 1-1.5ghz CPU, with 256 RAM, and some cheapo ATI VGU.
Right now it'll just be for learning, but I want to start creating games as soon as I can, but they will all be small things, so I don't think I even need to worry about computer specifications, but I just wanted to make sure before I make the purchase.

Thanks in advance!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How slow a computer can I use?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: How slow a computer can I use?

Posted 11 September 2010 - 06:14 PM

View PostKBoogle, on 11 September 2010 - 04:36 PM, said:

Hi,

Sorry if this isn't the right forum to ask, I couldn't find an "off-topic" one. My question is, how slow a computer can I use to learn and make simple indie games in C++? In the near future I won't be able to be home much to use my desktop computer, and I was planning to buy some cheap used laptop for no more than $100. Looking around, I see that a price like that will likely get me something that's like 1-1.5ghz CPU, with 256 RAM, and some cheapo ATI VGU.
Right now it'll just be for learning, but I want to start creating games as soon as I can, but they will all be small things, so I don't think I even need to worry about computer specifications, but I just wanted to make sure before I make the purchase.

Thanks in advance!

I think that as far as you aren't going 3d you should be okay with the computer you described. It's pretty much possible to make games on any computer, but you might have some lag if the game gets complex. This also might teach you to be able to program for a computer with limited resources :D.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2010 - 06:16 PM

Any computer can be used to make games. Just remember that how much you can do will be limited. A more graphics intense game with hundreds of objects is probably unrealistic. I used to make games on my 1.8GHz laptop with 1GB RAM and 128 MB shared graphics card. They would run not bad but somethings would grind it to a halt. For learning purposes and making simple games and some intermediate games I don't see why it wouldn't work. Games were being written for those laptops back in the day anyway.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2010 - 08:51 PM

I used to make my stuff on an old Dell Dimension desktop with 256Mb of RAM and an Intel Integrated Graphics Adapter, 2Ghz Pentium 4. I can still make my stuff on this 800Mhz tiny laptop, you should be fine~
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:17 PM

Just make sure that EVERYTHING works on that laptop first before buying it :)
It would suck to get stuck with a hardware failler.

I use an old computer at work, it runs auto cad even though there is only 528megs of ram in it. It just takes 10mins to do anything on it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1