Credit Card harassment, Mafia style

Creditors are calling friends and family

Page 1 of 1

11 Replies - 7769 Views - Last Post: 23 September 2010 - 09:34 AM

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Credit Card harassment, Mafia style

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:04 PM

So, I just found out today that my credit card company is calling my friends and family trying to collect my dept. Yes I need to pay my bill and I have planes for doing so. Right now it has a $50 late fee and $39 interest per month so I will be stuck with it for a while :(

My mom said that the credit card company told her "We did a search and saw that he used to live with you at one time". My friend got a call from the credit card company and after a few tries, he found out that they thought that I was working for my friend.

After talking with everyone that received calls I figured out that the credit card company is Google searching my name and then calling anyone one that they find who looks like they are a close relative or old boss.

I wonder what the other Andrew Buczko's said when they got the calls? :) (yes, there are five other Andrew Buczko's) "oh no!"

Has this happened to anyone else? What are your thought's on this? I have all ready removed some of the phone numbers that we suspected were used, what other actions should I take? (other than coming up with the money to pay my bill :) I'm working on it!)

PS, I changed one of the phone numbers to a foreign 900 pay line, so don't call it, unless you like that kind of thing...

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Credit Card harassment, Mafia style

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Credit Card harassment, Mafia style

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:17 PM

That sounds to me the very definition of harassment (A criminal offence)
The contract was you not your friends or family, they have no rights to do that.
By doing that it could be classed has a breach of the terms. Contracts works both ways.

So what I there a five other persons with the same name, it is there responsibility to make sure they are contacting with the correct one. (Data Protection Act)

This if it was under UK law.

US Laws
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:20 PM

I did some searching. I found this:

If a bill collector violates the FDCPA, try and see if you can get the illegal behavior on tape. Taping is permitted without the collector's knowledge in all states except CA, CT, DE, FL, IL, MD, MA, MI, MT, NH, PA, and WA. At the very least, record everything the bill collector says in some form of a written log. Be sure to include the dates of the conversations. The next step is to file a complaint in writing. You can even file a complaint if you don't have a witness to any of these conversations, but a witness helps. The correct agency to file your complaint with is the FTC. You can even file a complaint online:

So I'll have to ask my friends and family to get me a copy of there phone bills.

Well, I've logged my complaint:

Thank you for contacting the FTC. Your complaint has been entered into Consumer Sentinel, a secure online database available to thousands of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies worldwide. Your reference number is:

I'll have to see if anything comes of it.

Thank you AdamSpeight2008. Its nice to be part of such a smart group.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:37 AM

First, stop using credit cards. Second, pay your bills on time.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:14 AM

View PostSethro117, on 19 September 2010 - 06:37 AM, said:

Third, learn how to spell "debt" instead of dept and "plan" instead of planes. :donatello:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:01 PM

My uncle had this. They called everybody in his immediate family, including ex wife, parents, old employers/clients/etc. I don't think he has planes for his dept though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:09 PM

i found this:

Can a debt collector contact anyone else about my debt?
If an attorney is representing you about the debt, the debt collector must contact the attorney, rather than you. If you don’t have an attorney, a collector may contact other people – but only to find out your address, your home phone number, and where you work. Collectors usually are prohibited from contacting third parties more than once. Other than to obtain this location information about you, a debt collector generally is not permitted to discuss your debt with anyone other than you, your spouse, or your attorney.

Now, i'm not 100% sure but if the debt collector is telling your friends and family about your debt then you can sue them for up to the amount of damages you received or 1000 dollars which ever is higher.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:25 PM

View PostSethro117, on 19 September 2010 - 06:37 AM, said:

Every time I make a payment they mark it as "late" and then charge me $50 late fee, not to mention the $39 interest.

View Postrgfirefly24, on 20 September 2010 - 11:09 AM, said:

i found this:

Can a debt collector contact anyone else about my debt?
If an attorney is representing you about the debt, the debt collector must contact the attorney, rather than you. If you don’t have an attorney, a collector may contact other people – but only to find out your address, your home phone number, and where you work. Collectors usually are prohibited from contacting third parties more than once. Other than to obtain this location information about you, a debt collector generally is not permitted to discuss your debt with anyone other than you, your spouse, or your attorney.

Now, i'm not 100% sure but if the debt collector is telling your friends and family about your debt then you can sue them for up to the amount of damages you received or 1000 dollars which ever is higher.

They are contacting my friend as if I work for him, and then they want him to relay messages, give out information and one even ask my friend to pay the dept. This credit card company has contacted my friend more than once.

I do not have an attorney but I will have to call one about this matter. Sucks that I have to but this has got to stop.

Hmm, any attorneys on DIC?

This post has been edited by calvinthedestroyer: 21 September 2010 - 08:26 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:09 PM

Did you actually just ask that question?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:21 AM

View Postcalvinthedestroyer, on 21 September 2010 - 08:25 PM, said:

Every time I make a payment they mark it as "late" and then charge me $50 late fee, not to mention the $39 interest.

See 2. Pay your bills on time.

If you're making your payments on time then they wont mark them as late. If they are marking them late even if you are paying them on or before their due date, you can show them you are and bam, you get your money back.

This post has been edited by Sethro117: 22 September 2010 - 12:22 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:47 AM

It might be a matter of always being a payment behind so what you do pay goes towards the previous months so your always late. I've been in your situation before and believe me it sucks, but just remember to write everything down. If you have to contact them be very specific and make sure you either record the conversation or keep a log. Have your friends also write up there interactions with the company and get it notorized so it will hold up in court. The most important thing is to get it notorized or else its concidered 3rd party and is not usable in court.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:34 AM

View PostRaynes, on 21 September 2010 - 10:09 PM, said:

Did you actually just ask that question?

Can you be more specific?

View PostSethro117, on 21 September 2010 - 11:21 PM, said:

View Postcalvinthedestroyer, on 21 September 2010 - 08:25 PM, said:

See 2. Pay your bills on time.

If you're making your payments on time then they wont mark them as late. If they are marking them late even if you are paying them on or before their due date, you can show them you are and bam, you get your money back.

I Tried that, I think they did say that I was months behind. Plus there is some sort of fast cash thing they mentioned, I've never used it, never heard of it but they say that the fast cash charge is what the $50 fee is for. The fast cash charge won't go away until the entire balance is paid...blah blah blah. Its sounds to me like I'm stuck.

View Postrgfirefly24, on 23 September 2010 - 04:47 AM, said:

It might be a matter of always being a payment behind so what you do pay goes towards the previous months so your always late. I've been in your situation before and believe me it sucks, but just remember to write everything down. If you have to contact them be very specific and make sure you either record the conversation or keep a log. Have your friends also write up there interactions with the company and get it notarized so it will hold up in court. The most important thing is to get it notarized or else its considered 3rd party and is not usable in court.

My friend tried to look up the phone call by logging onto his cell phone account. The call log showed that a call was received but all of the fields had zeros in them. He could print that out, but I don't know what good it will do. Even the phone number was all zeros, even though a number showed up on his phone when they called him ?????

PS, thanks for your help guys
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1