General advice on best practices

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 3070 Views - Last Post: 13 September 2010 - 01:58 AM

#1 Guest_JohnBob*

Exercise Training Tracker Application

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:25 PM

Hi,

Application Outline

I plan to create an application, into which you initially enter your details (age, name, height etc). Then, things like BMI, maximum heart rate, training zones etc can be calculated on user request. Also, I want to allow the user to enter their body fat (along with training times, intensities at differnent points in time) at frequent intervals during their training, and I want to display a graph of such results. However, I have four questions before I begin, and your advice would be very much appreciated.

Questions

1) I need to obviously store data after the application has closed. I initially thought of serialization, but then if I am entering multiple records of body fat,training times etc (each linked to a date/time) for one user, and want to plot graphs of body fat against dates etc, then maybe a database would better suit my needs? Would you use serialization or a databse?

2) Also, is it possible to design an interface in Expression Blend 4, and transfer that interface, animations and all, to a simple, basic WPF application (not siverlight application) in visual studio 2010?

3) Can I produce graphs in basic WPF applications, or do I need a silverlight application? I have looked into this and have downloaded a few third party libraries but haven't got it to work with simple WPF alone yet.

4)I want this application to be one window that changes it's content, in order to display the different 'pages' of the application. I do not want to have to bring up a new window for every page. How would I go about this?

Thanks

Sorry for the wall of text and lack of code, I just really need to makesure I am going in the right/best direction with this application before I start. Once I know that, trust me, I will put the work in to complete this application.

Thanks a lot everybody for your time.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0

Replies To: Exercise Training Tracker Application

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Exercise Training Tracker Application

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:48 PM

1) I need to obviously store data after the application has closed. I initially thought of serialization, but then if I am entering multiple records of body fat,training times etc (each linked to a date/time) for one user, and want to plot graphs of body fat against dates etc, then maybe a database would better suit my needs? Would you use serialization or a databse?

Use Serialization if you just want to save the information you described above. Above all you have to choose what best fits your needs; reading your domain problem, I'd choose serialization.

2) Also, is it possible to design an interface in Expression Blend 4, and transfer that interface, animations and all, to a simple, basic WPF application (not siverlight application) in visual studio 2010?

Yeah, this is possible using Expression Blend.

3) Can I produce graphs in basic WPF applications, or do I need a silverlight application? I have looked into this and have downloaded a few third party libraries but haven't got it to work with simple WPF alone yet.

Yes, there is a WPF graph toolkit available at Codeplex.com

4)I want this application to be one window that changes it's content, in order to display the different 'pages' of the application. I do not want to have to bring up a new window for every page. How would I go about this?

You can handle this in a very wide arrange of ways. How about doing something sexy and add a tab list up top and have your WPF application use animations to scroll left/right towards screens? This would all be loaded in memory, but won't be visible until a user clicks the appropriate tab.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:51 PM

I think I'll move this to WPF, as that seems to be the focus here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Guest_JohnBob*

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:27 AM

Thanks a lot for the reply. It was very helpful. The idea about tabs is a very good idea, and is one that I would be very interested in. I have know idea how to do this. but I'll do some research and see if I can find out.

Thanks again!
Was This Post Helpful? 0

#5 Guest_JohnBob*

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:58 AM

Also, I am struggling to visualise how you would make serilization work now... Each body fat item, for example, needs to be associated with a date item that represents the date at which the body fat item was entered. I cannot seem to visualise how you would convey this using serialization. Having said that, I would like to use serialization if at all possible, to be honest.

Any simple help/advice would be very appreciated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

Page 1 of 1