14 Replies - 11516 Views - Last Post: 07 November 2011 - 08:31 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Build My Own Mobile Device

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:48 PM

Hey people!! im going to be building a mobile device(i bet your thinking this guy is nuts)...will im going to pursue a dream and i hope your willing to help. :helpsmilie: (if your awsome you will). will here's how it is, im a developer looking for a project to work on such as(mobile device not a phone)
the kind of mobile device im planning on building is something like the ipod touch ..but different(ima have more details on the mobile device later) but im here just to ask a couple of question like: what kind of os should i use? What kind of processor do a mobile device need to play mp3, and mp4 files?(including wallpaper with very detailed graffics such as a ipod touch, and game capaditble) what kind of language should i use for development/and what programs(such as photoshop)should i use to store,develop video files and pictures on to the mobile device.

will thats all the question i have for now ill post more later...thanks in advance.

:balloon: im a ready to gooo.

This post has been edited by Nyce: 13 September 2010 - 05:46 PM
Reason for edit:: Title renamed to be more descriptive. Please respect rule #4 of this forum.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Build My Own Mobile Device

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Build My Own Mobile Device

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:07 PM

Well, this is going to be quite an opinionated set of replies you will be receiving (as it is a field where everyone likes doing things differently and everyone else is wrong about it), but here is what I would do:

OS - The best option here is to make your own in C/C++. Yes, it would be far easier to use something like Java, but given the fiasco Oracle is putting Google through at the moment (becuase Android is a Java based OS) I would just stay clear of anything related to Java. Now, this will take a lot of time to learn what is necessary and put together a simple OS (not including all the additionaly features you will want to have with it). Here are a few suggestions: First, make sure to use a file-system that is supported across multiple computer operating systems (I would suggest Fat, though I don't really know what else is out there so there are likely better options here). Second, make sure that your device will work on all computers you care about. If you want it to sell to a broad audience I would suggest at least developing it to work seamlessly with Windows (as they hold the market share).

Processor - Again, I don't know what all is out there, but from my understanding most smart phones currently use ARM processors (this includes all Droid, Blackberry, and iPhone/iTouch devices) so it would probably be a good place to start.

I'm not sure what is really needed to play audio other than a sound card and the proper decoders for the files so I'll leave this one to someone better versed in this area...

As for graphics, I would suggest using Photoshop and saving almost all files as .png for use with the device. They have pretty good quality for their size and allow for partial transparency.

Another reason I suggest using C/C++ for development on this is so other developers can also use C/C++, I know that I HATE having to use Objective-C to do anything for the i* devices; it is just a shitty language. Plus C/C++ have a ton of graphics and game libraries which people understand and use. This will allow your users to port games they have already made quite easily and get you more business in the long run.

Hopefully that all makes sense, and hopefully others will reply as well. This is an interesting topic for discussion.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:25 PM

You can buy an embedded linux developer board with a set of options that you would like your device to have on it. Then you can just work on the development. Once you have the system operational you can design a smaller more compact circuit board for your final product.

http://embeddedcraft...xtutorials.html

http://search.digike...20boards%20~dac
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:58 PM

which fat do you recon i use fat32 or fatx check site out: http://en.wikipedia....of_file_systems
I checked out all but im having a problem deciding which one i should use. thanks for the response.
Whats the differents from a linux embeded and the arduino? do you know where i can find cheaper model?

This post has been edited by Nyce: 13 September 2010 - 08:08 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:18 PM

Based on what wikipedia had on them I would suggest using Fat32. FatX appears to be for their game console and require special software for even Windows machines to be able to read and write to.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:20 PM

Ever look into anything like friendly arm?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:12 PM

Im going to use fat32 and start programming and c everybody preffers me to work under c.
WOW the friendly arm look like it will be a good idea for development purposes on how i would like my project to come out.. thx :bigsmile: i might order it for development purposes for prototyping. But then the way i would like my final project to look will have a wider screen. But for now ill use it for development,if you can find a screen with these specs (width 15 cm, length 11,75cm) or close to it, it will be a big help please post it here if you do find any.

ok guys thx for the help so far your awesome :gunsmilie:
i hope you continue to help, im going to be needing help while working on develping,building and engineering the mobile device.

Now what i am going to be needing help on, is simple task like how to route a screen to a board,will a processor arm work with two screens(at best performance) and getting mp4 and mp3 file's to work on device(without using itunes,im going to creat my own system) and should i make my own music system on c before putting it on the device?(should i use vb for for better software development of my music software?)

thx :sweatdrop:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:09 PM

Cheap? It's not going to be cheap.

As for buying LCD screens, I would buy as many as you can! Manufactures change designs every year and that means that your old screens will become obsolete within a years time. When you find a screen that you like you will need to contact the manufacture and ask them what the expected product life will be for that particular screen.

The company I work at uses LCD touch screens, but they buy them a pallet at a time.

To connect the LCD screen to a circuit board you will need one of two common options:
1> Use Flexible Printed Circuit Boards (ribbon cables) FPC,
2> Get an LCD with a larger connector that supports a wired connector cable.

A third option is to use a carbon laced silicon piece of rubber strip that gets compressed between the circuit board and the LCD.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:05 AM

Wow if i knew screens come in go like that i would of tryed to make my own lol....i know people said to get your own cutom made screen will cost lots of money,is it true?(if not do you know where i can get a custom screen made?)(i need two lcd touch screens) cause on the final step of making my mobile device im going to need a certain screen size, to finish up final development. thanks for the information on routing screens to the board that information gonna save me alot of time. :clap:.

Will i looked up information on how to put music on a device, im going to need to decompress at a certain rate do anybody know a good rate? and how? i think video's rate are 25hertz.Ima see if i could find out more.Please keep active i appreciate all the help so far, i hope you continue... ROCK ON!! :punk: .

This post has been edited by Nyce: 15 September 2010 - 01:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:48 PM

Im going to keep an eye out on this thread, seems interesting. If possible could you share what the main functionality of this mobile device would be?

Oh, I definitely agree that C/C++ will be the best languages for development also given their power.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:23 AM

:bananaman: Yess more people, every day that somebody join the faster ever body around the world,would know how to create their own mobile device. Yea im beginning to working on c right now, im learning from this book i got from the library,so i'll be programming in c in no time.I Plan on being done with learning c shortly and begining development,So if anybody know anything about mobile devices just post it here PLEASE.

Thank you guy/girls so far for the help i appreciate it.

p.s im still looking for information on how to put my own music software on my mobile device so if anybody know anything please post it.

This post has been edited by Nyce: 16 September 2010 - 12:28 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:31 AM

View PostNyce, on 16 September 2010 - 01:23 AM, said:

p.s im still looking for information on how to put my own music software on my mobile device so if anybody know anything please post it.

Are you asking how to transfer it to the device, or how to play it once it's on the device?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:22 AM

How to transfrer it.(Both will be good :whistling: ) lol

This post has been edited by Nyce: 16 September 2010 - 03:23 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:47 AM

Hi everyone :)
Me is interested too. But as i see the last post was more than year ago.
I am interested in creating programm part of device (not device). Not a skilled programmer (especially on C, really annoying...) So, in general i wanna to write my own OS for mobile devices be it player and/or cell phone, or etc.
Author, share information about ur succes if there is any ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:31 PM

You should look into finding a Development board to start working with.

Here is a google link with some dev boards that are used for moble deviceses:
Google: mobile development board

Maybe something like this: ARM Cortex A8

You should find an Engineer that knows how to design PCB boards that can help you out.

You can also hire a programmer to help with your product. (if you have the budget for it)

Anyway I hope this helps. Keep us posted :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1