11 Replies - 9292 Views - Last Post: 27 September 2010 - 08:30 AM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Programming - Good as a hobby or a job?

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:47 AM

I often see programming as more of a hobby than a job. I am however, interested in finding out, what is a programmer seen as in your society? There are numerous fancy jobs out there and people go after them for reputation rather than their potential. I don't have exposure to any programmers in my society so I really have no clue what reputation a programmer has.

In today's world there are numerous fancy jobs like working as a Particle Physicist, just because it sounds cool, there are opportunities for winning a Nobel prize there and so on. Why doesn't programming sound that fantastic? I am sure the people who have a potential for programming are equally competitive in physics and such fields. Why do you choose programming? What attractions do you see here? Programmers are not rich as people working in other more common field are. No reputation, no money, what kinda job is it?

Programming - hobby or a job?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Programming - Good as a hobby or a job?

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Programming - Good as a hobby or a job?

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:53 AM

This has been covered to death on here.
Try a search of the existing threads.

I think of programming and the military in the same way (and I've been both before someone gets pissy with me): They aren't a job, they are a calling. You don't do it for prestige or money or glory. You do it because you are drawn to it, can't picture doing anything else, and if you could stay fed you would pay someone for the opportunity to do it.

If that doesn't apply to your desires for coding then keep looking at other careers until you find the one that feels like that.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:54 AM

If you look at programming as if it's just something to do to make money, then you're in the wrong field. Anyone who calls themselves a true programmer should have a passion for making things work and figuring out how exactly these things work. In my opinion, programming is neither a job or a hobby, it's a lifelong passion that drives me to create things.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:33 PM

I have a good friend who is a programmer for work. It started out as a hobby and now he works in an office and everything.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:35 PM

View PostAutocrat, on 15 September 2010 - 11:47 AM, said:

In today's world there are numerous fancy jobs like working as a Particle Physicist, just because it sounds cool, there are opportunities for winning a Nobel prize there and so on. Why doesn't programming sound that fantastic? I am sure the people who have a potential for programming are equally competitive in physics and such fields. Why do you choose programming? What attractions do you see here? Programmers are not rich as people working in other more common field are. No reputation, no money, what kinda job is it?

Programming - hobby or a job?

My dad is a Particle Physicist, well Nuclear Physics technically, but works with particle acceleration. I choose programming because I truly love it. I could do it all day every day (given a few breaks now and then) and be perfectly content. I also get paid for some of my jobs, so that's also good. My dad loves Physics, so he does Physics. I love programming, so I do programming. However, I feel like programming has been and is colliding with other scientific practices like Physics, Chemistry, and even Biology (with things like Protein modeling).

Programming is both, at least for now, while I'm still young and haven't entered the full blown industry world.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:48 PM

It has already been stated, but I will say it again. Programming isn't a job or a hobby; it is a lifestyle. So what if I enjoy it greatly, and am making money doing it? I still live and breath code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:27 AM

View PostNikitin, on 16 September 2010 - 03:13 AM, said:

View PostAutocrat, on 15 September 2010 - 09:47 AM, said:

In today's world there are numerous fancy jobs like working as a Particle Physicist, just because it sounds cool, there are opportunities for winning a Nobel prize there and so on.

lol

I know it sounds ridiculous but it isn't if you think about it. People who have a better area for doing research would b e always seen as superior ones to those who can't have any research at all. I know Nobel prize is something too much, but take PhD for example. Thesis in sciences are by far more sensible and useful than those targeted at improving programming languages. The former seems like contributing to the world while the latter is just a kind of work done for industry purposes. Science lives, but who know how long a programming language is gonna live?

View PostBetaWar, on 16 September 2010 - 03:48 AM, said:

It has already been stated, but I will say it again. Programming isn't a job or a hobby; it is a lifestyle. So what if I enjoy it greatly, and am making money doing it? I still live and breath code.

You DO make money of course, that's why some people actually "work" as programmers. But the question is about HOW much money you make.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:21 AM

View PostAutocrat, on 16 September 2010 - 10:27 AM, said:

View PostNikitin, on 16 September 2010 - 03:13 AM, said:

View PostAutocrat, on 15 September 2010 - 09:47 AM, said:

In today's world there are numerous fancy jobs like working as a Particle Physicist, just because it sounds cool, there are opportunities for winning a Nobel prize there and so on.

lol

I know it sounds ridiculous but it isn't if you think about it. People who have a better area for doing research would b e always seen as superior ones to those who can't have any research at all. I know Nobel prize is something too much, but take PhD for example. Thesis in sciences are by far more sensible and useful than those targeted at improving programming languages. The former seems like contributing to the world while the latter is just a kind of work done for industry purposes. Science lives, but who know how long a programming language is gonna live?

View PostBetaWar, on 16 September 2010 - 03:48 AM, said:

You DO make money of course, that's why some people actually "work" as programmers. But the question is about HOW much money you make.

If you are determining your career by the prestige/money, then your life is going to be miserable. You will be depressed because you will hate to go to work everyday. You find a job that you LOVE. You don't care about the money or the prestige.

I get into work at 7AM-7:15AM every morning. That's an hour before anybody else. Why? Because I love my job. I can't see myself doing anything else. Do I get paid well? I'd like to get paid more(who wouldn't) but I can afford what I want and what I need.

I have agreed to work 60 hours a week for the next year. If you don't enjoy what you do, then you wouldn't be able to do that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:12 AM

I agree. Plus it isn't always about the pay. One has to look at life style.
My paycheck is fairly mediocre. But I work from home 100% of the time. My employer has no issues with my home being mobile. So we live in a 5th wheel RV. This allows us to work for a company... draw a paycheck... and spend a month at Yellowstone... a month at the California beach... a month at The Great Lakes... A different month, a different state or natural park if we like. I still work 40-60 hours a week. But at the end of the day or end of the week I have someplace new to explore/hike/photograph. That's my thing.

Plus my employer does a lot of installations both domestic and international. That means I get to visit a lot of countries on the company dime.

So I'm trading prestige and a well known company and high paycheck for the travel and see the world lifestyle.
That's not for everyone. Some people *have* to have their fixed 8-5 Monday-Friday lifestyle because of family. Or they have to start at 6am and end at 3pm so they can pick up the kids from school. Or they need an employer will to install wheelchair accommodations.

Money and prestige are not the end goal. They are just the means by which we pay for the lifestyle we want. If you can find a job that can give you the lifestyle there is *value* to that you won't see on your paycheck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:53 AM

I would like to extend on the origional concept of the topic. I am a software development student and I am passionate about designing, programming and implementing software. When does the hobby become a job? And do some programmers lose their passion because of their jobs?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• C Surfing ∞
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:39 AM

For me it's a hobby, always and forever. As a job? well yes, I do programming as a job as well because it's great to have your hobby as your work domain. It allows me to give maximum time for something that I love doing.

@Autocrat : May be you are mistaking programming as some apps programming or a PC based development like something? There are so many things happening around man. Everything from Robotics, AI to Fuzzy logic implementations and from PC applications to new age Television sets to your intelligent automotive/aviation systems does require some sort of programming in it. So it is important, it's just that people take the changes for granted as they come through business as soon as innovated, that might be the reason why they go unnoticed sometimes.

Thesis in sciences are by far more sensible and useful than those targeted at improving programming languages. The former seems like contributing to the world while the latter is just a kind of work done for industry purposes.

That depends on your perception. Improvised AI in automotive/aviation technologies can give you huge amount of additional features (security/infotainment/efficiency etc. etc.) and contribute to the world. An innovation of internet making it possible for you to raise this question in front of such a huge community, so isn't that helping the world? that's certainly much more useful to world than a thesis on reproduction system of some aquatic animal from deep sea.

Those who do it for money they will answer that HOW as less; always. Even if they make million a month. Because they are doing it for money. Those who do it as hobby, money is just a bonus out there; something to do with living.

Programmers are not rich as people working in other more common field are. No reputation, no money, what kinda job is it?

well you can ask that question to likes of Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates, Linus Torvalds, Bill Joy,etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:30 AM

Way too many variables, it completely depends on the person.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1