Do University Of Phoenix graduates get hired?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

23 Replies - 74092 Views - Last Post: 20 July 2012 - 05:15 AM

#16 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Do University Of Phoenix graduates get hired?

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:17 PM

LMFAO!

Whatever makes you sleep at night, buddy.

You come off as an elitist constantly. If you disagree with something, perhaps valid points for discussion would be better to post than just laughing at other members.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:53 AM

[quote name='Guest' date='04 October 2010 - 12:47 PM' timestamp='1286225246' post='1132140']

I am learning that tech schools are actually better than traditional colleges in some regards such as actual hands on experience and in depth teaching of the technologies.

LMFAO!

Whatever makes you sleep at night, buddy.

Ok, to whomever you are, here is the reason I said this.

I have been to tech schools and universities (though the program is what truly differentiates the curriculum).

I went to Indiana University for a B.S. in their CIS program. I learned a lot of good stuff, but guess what, it didn't teach squat about the actually technology. No programming languages, no actual setting up of a network in a real world environment. I work in the IT industry and let me tell you, this is vital.

I am now at Indiana Wesleyan university (still a university but a much better program in my opinion). This program covers programming, setting up a network with hands on labs, business, web development, and management in a single program. I can tell you for a fact that I have learned more at IWU than I did at IU.

Now, I also have attended tech schools, Ivy Tech is indiana's local tech school. Again, more hands on.

So, if you wish to debate me further, please post your experience level, schools you attend/attended and we will continue.

And thanks to those in the D.I.C community.

View PostSethro117, on 04 October 2010 - 01:10 PM, said:

I now go to WGU which is nationally and regionally accredited and it's considered private, it's won several Education awards by organizations that award them to even traditional campuses and the material is stuff that experts from MS, Google, Oracle, Sun and other big tech companies have a had in developing. Also, if I remember right the tests with AIU and UoP are all taken online and open book. I have to actually go in to a traditional campus to take my exams and tests which I think shows my potential employers that I didn't sit at home and have the opportunity to look at a book while testing.

Like someone said though, skills and the ability to show you know you're stuff is likely to get you hired instead of being tossed aside because you went to an online school.

Seth, their program is sweet. I have been interested in them for some time. Their Masters in IS looks like a decent program. I dont really want an MBA, so their program appeals to me.

This post has been edited by AlbuquerqueApache: 05 October 2010 - 07:55 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:09 AM

Schools in general are shiny pieces of paper, no matter the school.

Your skill has nothing to do with this, and you can get more or less skill from various places. Most of which require your own personal dedication outside of academia. No matter the tech school, online school, university, or sit in your garage and teach yourself... you're going to need to put in time unrelated to school to actually become skilled (hence things like internships and the sort which are far more valuable then schools).

Because it's a shiny piece of paper and if you're expecting to lean against the piece of paper for support. You are depending on its 'shininess'... or... the way others perceive the document. And the general perception of online schools is that of:

"if you can do it in your underwear, it's not a real education."

Yeah it sucks, but that's it... and it's going to take a long time to change that. If it ever does...

Consider it, online courses are a lot like just getting a study book and doing it cover to cover (only difference is you pay more and someone signs a piece of paper saying they have some record of you actually reading it).

This is a digital equivalent to any autodidact out there, which despite the high number of our top billionaires being self-taught themselves, it's still shunned to be one. (list the top tech billionaires, I guarantee a good deal are dropouts)

So yeah, shiny piece of paper needs respect; if you need to ask if it has respect, it probably doesn't have respect.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:57 AM

View PostAlbuquerqueApache, on 05 October 2010 - 07:53 AM, said:

Seth, their program is sweet. I have been interested in them for some time. Their Masters in IS looks like a decent program. I dont really want an MBA, so their program appeals to me.

Yea, I was looking at it the other day because Im thinking of going straight into a MS if Im able too after my Bachelors. The MS:ISA was certified by the NSA's IACE so I think it'd definitely be worth it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

View Postlordofduct, on 05 October 2010 - 09:09 AM, said:

Schools in general are shiny pieces of paper, no matter the school.

Your skill has nothing to do with this, and you can get more or less skill from various places. Most of which require your own personal dedication outside of academia. No matter the tech school, online school, university, or sit in your garage and teach yourself... you're going to need to put in time unrelated to school to actually become skilled (hence things like internships and the sort which are far more valuable then schools).

Because it's a shiny piece of paper and if you're expecting to lean against the piece of paper for support. You are depending on its 'shininess'... or... the way others perceive the document. And the general perception of online schools is that of:

"if you can do it in your underwear, it's not a real education."

Yeah it sucks, but that's it... and it's going to take a long time to change that. If it ever does...

Consider it, online courses are a lot like just getting a study book and doing it cover to cover (only difference is you pay more and someone signs a piece of paper saying they have some record of you actually reading it).

This is a digital equivalent to any autodidact out there, which despite the high number of our top billionaires being self-taught themselves, it's still shunned to be one. (list the top tech billionaires, I guarantee a good deal are dropouts)

So yeah, shiny piece of paper needs respect; if you need to ask if it has respect, it probably doesn't have respect.

I am a single mother living in a small town that is an hour and a half from the nearest Community College, and about two and a half hours from the nearest brick-and-mortar college. One can assume correctly in saying that it really is not possible for me to attend a tradtional college. However, some traditional colleges offer online programs, such as Washington State University, which is where my online courses are from. It is the SAME material covered in the in-classroom setting, the tests are all proctored, meaning we have a webcam and microphone on us at all times to prove we are not cheating, and we must show our work station to prove that there is nothing around us that we can use to cheat off of. I am enrolled to obtain my Batchelor of Science in Business Administration with a Major in Management and Operations, and upon graduation, my Degree will show nothing about obtaining the degree online. I will have completed the same exact coursework as someone sitting in a "real" class room. The only difference is that I get to work toward my degree while staying home with my son :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:49 PM

First, did you notice I posted that 2 years ago.

Next, did you notice that I wasn't saying that I think they are bad schools... but that the public perception of it in the job world is low. Those two things are completely different...

I personally have what is called an autodidactic education; I am self taught. My form of education suffers from even worse public perception than an online school. I don't get my panties in a ruffle when someone points that out to me. It's better to KNOW what you're up against.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

It truly doesn't make any difference what college or University you go to. As long as you have a degree, the will to work hard, and get your name spread around out in the employment world, there is a good chance that you will be hired eventually. You'll have to start small and work your way up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

I met a C#/ASP programmer at my dad's old work who I believe graduated from a similar school (if not Phoenix). Working for one of the "best companies to work for" in the U.S., too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:15 AM

nbcnews.com just released a video segment about for profit schools that is an awakening in my opinion. It talks about the fact that people who go to for profit schools have higher loan debt, and default at a higher rate. They also make up a higher percent of the unemployed recent graduates.

Cite
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +