Google Hq bans use of windows OS

Page 1 of 1

11 Replies - 5428 Views - Last Post: 27 September 2010 - 11:25 AM

• If at first you donít succeed, call it version 1.0
  • member icon

• View blog

Google Bans Windows

Posted 22 September 2010 - 01:04 AM

The Financial Times reports that according to Google sources, all versions of Microsoft's Windows OS are henceforth banned. Employees will instead be able to choose between Apple's Mac OS and Linux.

Google employees have until now been able to choose their OS of choice, but apparently due to security concerns in the wake of that whole hacking mess, the Google higher-ups have deemed Windows too risky to support. Google declined to comment.

Google competes with Microsoft in several areas, not least of which is Google's bread and butter, search--Microsoft's Bing is gaining marketshare (though, to be fair, it's nowhere near Google's). The two tech giants also compete in the cloud, with Google Docs taking on Microsoft's online version of Office, as well as in the mobile world (Android vs. Windows Mobile). Soon, they'll have even more competition; Google TV plays in the same sandbox as Windows Media Center, and Chrome OS may compete for space on netbooks with the lightweight Windows 7.

On the other hand, Apple is at least as fierce a competitor as Microsoft, and significantly more so in the mobile world, yet Apple's full-sized OS seems to be the norm at Google HQ.

Google may not have intended this move to look like a dig at Microsoft. But when a company as high-profile as Google finds Windows too easily attacked to be used by its employees, it's got to sting.
Source

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Google Bans Windows

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Google Bans Windows

Posted 22 September 2010 - 01:07 AM

i'm pretty sure the majority of google projects and servers are backed by *nix anywho so this is really just making it official.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:12 AM

The source linked to to says "banned", but I recall this store from months ago where they said "phasing out." Indeed, the link to the original source, from May, confirms that.

I thought this might be a change to that story, but it seems to just be a rehashing with more provocative language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:12 AM

That's really interesting - would they install Gentoo?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:31 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 22 September 2010 - 03:12 AM, said:

The source linked to to says "banned", but I recall this store from months ago where they said "phasing out." Indeed, the link to the original source, from May, confirms that.

I thought this might be a change to that story, but it seems to just be a rehashing with more provocative language.

I love sensationalist buzzwords.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:11 AM

Well I know at least a few windows machines will be on campus... they have to be able to test on IE for Windows and make sure their products work on windows machines. For some reason I don't quite believe the entirety of the story. They probably ask that employees change if they can or force the ban in specific departments but I can't see them wanting to lock it out completely... especially when their might be programs or opportunities that cater to a windows machine user.

But who knows. :rolleyes2:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:24 AM

This is not unheard of. Although I don't wish to toll Windows enthusiast again, many of the larger enterprise customers I have dealt with do not allow windows computers anywhere near their back-end networks.

Personally I think this is a bit of fear mongering by Google and or media. Many organizations restrict windows usage quoting "security" as a reason. So there is already a underlying fear and suspission of the windows platform. This will only take advantage of that to push more IT department managers away from the Wintel platform.

Good for linux, but unless this fear begins to translate to home users it should have little affect on windows market share.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:27 PM

And Apple's been trying to instill the Windows security fear for a long while already, so I don't think that's going to make too much of a difference either.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:20 AM

Windows does have a lot of security issues when it comes to networking, we all know that, but their desktop market share which is where the majority of it's unguided popularity stems from, i don't think will be affected very much.

Linux on the other hand, is optimized for networking and thus has a wider range of security measures aside from the firewall. so yes, Linux should indeed be used to replace windows. i wish that will eventually be the case in the server and desktop market as well, once wine is fully operational.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:30 AM

I highly doubt Google will completely remove windows from their system. Even if they did, it will not affect Window much
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:32 AM

Easier just to unplug the windows machines from the internet lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:25 AM

Don't forget to put the dollar sign when spelling Microsoft to further express your informative, balanced opinion lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1