8 Replies - 2438 Views - Last Post: 26 September 2010 - 07:42 PM

• if(coden4fun.NotTired){ ContinueToCode(); }
  • member icon

• View blog

Start-up company vs Job Security

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:51 PM

Hello, I've been deciphering for the past 2 days now 3 job offers that has recently been proposed to me. I have seen that the main issue (aside from me obtaining health insurance) is taking risk vs having job security. In a nutshell, since I do not want to create a long post I will quickly give this community a synopsis of my current offers and where my questions are pertaining to risk vs job security.

Company A:
History: They've been in business for 26 years. They have the security, years experience.
Offer: A mid-level pay an extremely good health insurance package that picks up in 60 days that pays 85% of the premium with a $1500 deductible, and vacation of 5 days off every 6 months that can be compounded once yearly. I would be converting a FoxPro database application into a single .Net Silverlight/WPF application using a single code base, using a MVVM design pattern using an Entity Framework data model. I wouldn't have to move from my city I currently live in. Position is for W2 employment.

Company B:
History: They're a start-up company. They do have a company in Eastern Europe and they have a solid product that they're porting over to .Net
Offer: They want me to be the lead developer (no one above me besides the CEO) and I would have a lot more responsibilities as the main project would rest on my shoulders. I would be programming in C#, ASP.Net 3.5, LINQ2SQL, SQL db, with some Silverlight aspects. They've offered me $150K with stock options no health insurance. I would have to move to Raleigh-Durham which is 3 1/2 hours from where I currently live, but I do have friends and family who lives there. Position is for W2 employment.

Company C:
History: They've been around for 5 years. They have a fitness program that they make for training companies and fitness clubs to help increase revenue and recurring members through the software. The co-founder lives in my city but the company is based out in New Jersey.
Offer: I have a meeting with them this Friday morning @ 10a.m. in my own city. They have offered me a lead developer role (no one above me besides CEO co-founders) compensation has to be discussed but as a lead developer I'm expecting around $90,000 - $110,000 where I live and I'm not sure about the insurance as I have yet to discuss this with the co-founder of the company. The plus to this job is I can work from home, very few face-to-face meetings, and I get to travel or stay in my city since everything is telecommute. The position is W2 employment.

My Question and what I've been juggling in my head
Company A is a solid company 26 years and though I will have some Sr lead responsibilities as I like to have the entire thing won't rest on my shoulder and I can get help from other developers at the company when I need it. Company B is a start-up, they're offering a lot, but you're running that risk that the company will belly up, not pay you or have money in the bank to pay you, or that the software hits and your stock they give you out pays the salary they originally gave you. At company B I have no insurance, but I am more than happy to pay for my own insurance plan, which I'm sure I can obtain a really good plan spending $20,000-$25,000 yearly (taking in consideration my health condition) and I'm getting paid (expected worth) 3x as much as what I would get paid as a mid-level developer at Company A. Again, this comes down to risk vs job security.

Then there is Company C. They have the years and the product. I'm not sure what they will offer me, but if it's near a Sr Lead Developer position around my area $90,000 - $120,000 I would be able to pay for my own insurance immediately, work from home and have that freedom of a developer being in charge and having the sole responsibility of that product and tech trouble shooting. For me, this would give me a more random experience and day as appose to Company A where I would only be coding here with Company C I would building/repairing computers, setting up servers, accounts, installing software and programming, so it would seem less of a "same day same job" life style and would give me something challenging. This will also happen at Company B, but it's a start-up.

I would really appreciate it if the lead developers, sr programmers, mid-level developers or other developers who have been offered something similar to my offer above could shed some light on how they made their decisions and what was the factor that made them choose a certain company over another one.

Also, because it sometimes depends on family, moving, single or not, supporting a family or not; I can tell you that I am single, no where near a possible girlfriend because I work to much on code and I am more than willing to relocate if needed. I am also willing to help a start-up provided that I don't lose health insurance or I have an laped period of being covered by an insurance company.

Thank you so much in advance!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Start-up company vs Job Security

• Dic Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Start-up company vs Job Security

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:57 PM

I would go where the money is, work my tail off for three years, skimp, & start my own business with some well invested money. Rolling COD's come to mind. Then you'd have around minimum wage income for doing nothing more than saving up as much of $300k you can.

As the saying goes : If the sky is the limit, then you just are not imagining enough!

But I'm not you. It's hard to say or offer suggestions. Go with your gut. If you're wrong, well, then you did what you'd do if given the choice again. If you go with your mind & you're wrong, you'll doubt yourself for the rest of your life. Or as long as your attention span allows ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:05 PM

but no2pencil I don't have much guts left. The hospital removed 5ft of my small intestines. That's the only reason why I'm considering the health insurance package over the high salary.

OK, so I will go with my gut feeling on this. I will wait until I meet with the co-founder for Company C and see what they can offer me. I will look at who has survived through the recession, what the companies P&L is, or how much money they have to burn as it will be the case for Company B (being the start-up) and go with my gut instinct on this one.

Thank you no2pencil :stuart:

This post has been edited by coden4fun: 22 September 2010 - 10:32 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:20 AM

Which do you enjoy more...coding, or hardware/software support? If it's coding, then Company C shouldn't even be considered. If it's hardware/software support, then you have your answer.

Next question would be(assuming your previous answer was coding).... at this time, do you want to be a project lead? Do you want to handle that stress and that pressure of being the guy everybody turns to? If yes, then Company B. If no, then Company A.

I really should come down to what you feel more comfortable doing and what you enjoy more. You should definitely take the job that you will enjoy the most.

Personally, occupational enjoyment is worth more than a paycheck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:56 AM

eclipsed4utoo, all the of these jobs are lead programming. Company B and Company C I would just see as having time where I would install, repair, build etc computers, servers, etc... Either way, all 3 are for coding. Company A is the one with less stress, work, and pure coding, but I run the risk of "same day same code" routine where with Company B & C if I was stuck on code I could repair something, design an architecture for project XYZ, install software, configure something then go back to the code I was having trouble with earlier.

I believe I can't make a clear decision until after my morning meeting this Friday with the co-founder.

This post has been edited by coden4fun: 23 September 2010 - 07:56 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:22 AM

Company C is the obvious choice, for two main reasons. First, they have been in business long enough to have survived all the hard lessons most startups face (most die within one or two years, especially tech startups), and second, because you will be in a position to cash in from this. Talk to the co-founder about health insurance, explain your medical situation, ask if anything can be done for it- I'm not an expert in this but I'd imagine they'd get some tax exemption if they provided health care for employees or something of that nature. This is opposed to company B, which although it has a solid product, there is no guarantee that anybody wants it or that something free doesn't already do it's job- so the stock options might very well be completely worthless. I'm not saying that's definitely the case, but it's definitely a possibility. also, stock options to my mind mean that they're funded by some external source and aren't surviving on their own revenue- which to me looks like a giant bright neon orange flashing "DANGER" sign.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:30 PM

I just spoke to Company C and the offer was lame :(

No stock options, no health insurance, and only 20K to be lead developer. He specifically told me no one except the founders of the company would be above me, but when I asked for a bank statement, P&L of past 2 years and a followed up e-mail I got no response even though during the interview he did tell me he would write up a proposal and send it to my e-mail by the end of the day.

I was very disappointed, because it built up excitement and I was passionate to start work for this company only to be ridiculously embarrassed and an insult to me as a lead developer when I was given the proposal during the interview of $20k yearly.

So, if Company B doesn't start throwing calls my way I do see me having a pretty secure spot with Company A for 3-5 years and since I'm still relatively young low 20's I see only getting more experience than I have now and revamping up my skills against all of my competitors.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:45 PM

Wow, that's a slap in the face. You could make more than that doing level 1 tech phone support. Given that you're talking about a "mid-level" position I thought your expected salary sounded a bit ambitious, but their offer is just downright insulting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:42 PM

No Programmist, I've been a lead developer for 3+ years and I'm a good Sr. programmer Consultant. When I ask for a salary it's usually at par with what I know, what I've done, my knowledge base, technology being used, what state I live in, etc...

Yes, it was downright insulting, but it happens. You learn, you live, you move on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1