Python Roll Call

• (5 Pages)
  • +

61 Replies - 37053 Views - Last Post: 21 June 2015 - 01:31 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Python Roll Call

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:07 PM

I love Python, it's my favorite because you can write a program with less time. Easy syntax unlike others. I don't know everything about the language but, I always learn more. Even learning C/C++ and Java I will always have Python.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:09 AM

I am a bit of an oddball in programming. I am not programming as a day job, only as a hobby :-)

Had my first programming experience in my early teens a quarter century ago. With a now historic Comodore64 and its infamous-super-slow-spaghetti basic. Yet, that pain made me learn (C64) assembler and a couple of its tricks before I even heard of C (probably that explains why I see C as a set of crutches)

Lost interest in programming quickly though. When I woke up from my ignorance the world had turned a couple of times (oops, what is 20 times 365). Looking around for a way to do things with that astounishingly powerful black box under my desk I landed on Python with its promise to be an elegant readable languagge with batteries included.

I dont regret it (though python has shown me some dark sides too)

What I use python for? Every little thing I want to programm on a PC (emphasize little here, after all I am a hobby programmer).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:31 PM

Nallo, glad to have you on board the Python train!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:57 AM

I am completely new to Python I have messed around with C# and VB.NET. So any tips you may have for me will help on the learning curve as I have mostly used Visual Studio for all of my coding which is great but I know I miss alot, also. It's nice to meet you all and I have been reading the posts and I am very impressed with a lot of the programs that have been written or in the process of being written. Cheers! :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:59 AM

Wow, you've had an account for almost a year and today is your first post :P That's a little funny.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:25 AM

My first post was 7 months after I joined...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:05 AM

Hey, there's nothing wrong with that; I just find it funny. Don't be hatin' :dontgetit:

This post has been edited by atraub: 16 February 2011 - 07:08 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:33 PM

Howdy,

I am a new developer and was hired to start programming at a web development company in python. When I say that I am new to programming, I mean the first program I ever wrote was two months ago! Since my hire, I have written an encryption program, re factored some big files (over 5,000 lines), and am now working on writing a python program to integrate with Authorize.net using SUDS. Been a busy couple of months for me. Needless to say, I have lots of questions that I hope I can tap into this community for.

Sean O'Rear

UPDATE: Oh - I think Coda is the coolest thing on Earth!

This post has been edited by sean.orear: 20 February 2011 - 01:34 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:41 PM

Welcome aboard!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:19 PM

For months I've been looking for a language that fits my style, and is nice to use. I found Python... and fell in love. It is just perfect for programming, easy to use, very high level, and powerful, and cross-platform. What not to love?! So I started using it.... it's so friggin easy!!!! Python is amazing <3
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:25 PM

Yah! Python is great! I love the fact that you can focus on algorithms without extraneous stuff like Memory allocation or even creating functions.

Added!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:41 AM

I code in ABAP (SAP's language) since I work for a state government that uses SAP. But for very small things and to learn and expand my coding mind, I use Python.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:27 PM

I have been playing around with Python on and off for a while but I just recently started to get serious about it. I have started to use it again for solving the programing/math problems on projecteuler.net
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:23 AM

I, too, love Python. I have been using languages such as C++ and VB.NET on and off for the last couple years, but none of them really worked as nice as Python.

I completed my first major program with them, for the computer shop I work for. It's a jabber bot (running on ejabberd) that we can access via an IM client on our phone. It lets us run shell commands on the servers we have each bot connected to (as well as pulling usage statistics). Also, at work, it lets us do two things things:

1. Lets us look up workorder information via customer or wo# (reading from an access database)
2. Lets us check stock via our accounting program. To not have to remember parts, I have created category lists (etc "check stock NIC" will let you see all network cards available.

My next hope is to actuate an autoit or pyhton script to let us automate our accounting program and bill by sending a message. ("bill customername service 2 hours.") This would of course not be bulletproof. It would create a bill for the user and put it on hold on their account, so we do not forget to bill them. Parts would need to be added manually as looking them up on a blackberry would be annoying!

So yes, I thoroughly enjoy Python!

This post has been edited by hlx: 10 August 2011 - 05:24 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:42 PM

I a 14 year old programming apprentice! I got an intership at Cummins Power Systems, and am working in the I.T. Dept. I'm learning alot of Python programming from my boss. I do it as a hobby now, but soon to bw a job:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +