4 Replies - 1872 Views - Last Post: 24 September 2010 - 09:25 PM

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Amazon Mechanical Turk

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:05 PM

So I discovered Amazon Mechanical Turk and after reading about it I thought it sounded like a really neat idea and I was wondering what kind of "hits" or micro-Ai tasks the "employees" would be asked for. If it was interesting maybe I could make a few extra bucks there or something...

Well, all expectations were crushed by the content I found there. The mturk basically turns out to be a consolidation of all of the pop-up ad scams on the internet. Rather than entering you for a chance to win an iPad, you get payed 2.70$ to take a survey or 5.25$ to sign up for a website etc.

The higher paying ones asking you to test games caused the virus scanner to go nuts (though for adware not viruses).

Basically I am reminded of Mos Eisly -- "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"

Of course, to be fair I spent maybe 20 mins or so looking arround and didn't accept any of the "Hits" so maybe I am just not getting the picture but from what I can tell this would be a great way to pack your computer full of adware and pump you email full of spam.

Anyone have different experances with mturn? Anyone know if someone can actually make money doing tasks?

More to the point: Can mturk be a viable way to get AI-like tasks done?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Amazon Mechanical Turk

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Amazon Mechanical Turk

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:52 PM

I tried working the MTURK thing for a while, on slow days at work, but damn if I could turn any sort of profit or justification for the time put in. I finished a large number of tasks, to spec, and most were rejected by the asker. Funk that is what I say.

I had not idea they were attempting to shuffle spyware as well. *sigh* Never trust the populace I guess.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:13 PM

I used it a bit when I was unemployed. Not really worth the time even though I was desperate.

Had a buddy who said he was able to make some decent money though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:18 PM

See the shame of it is that I was looking to write a "evolution algorithm" and I needed some kind of "natural selection" -- I was thinking about maybe paying a few cents per generation to have people give me their subjective opinions of each generation. If a given member did not receive enough votes it would "die off" without "mating". To make the program the way I would like I would need about 25-50 people to judge each generation.

My initial though was just to have a web site, but I saw that as taking a long time and I really don't want to wait a really long time.

My brother's idea is to make it into some kind of flash game, and while I admit that people will play just about anything you put in flash and call a "game" I really was not interested in putting that much thought behind making some kind of "game".

This is why the IDEA of mturk was interesting to me. The idea that I can generate a system and rather than workout some kind complicated algorithm to do some step, I could just tell people what I needed.

"Which two images would you most like to see combined" or "Which image do you like the least" etc. run this over a few hundred generations and see what happens.

Anyway, that is what brings me to the subject of mturk
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:25 PM

I've used crowd sourcing from the business side of things to do things like gather contact information, or compile large lists (cities, states, colleges, bloggers in a category, etc.) and while the idea is great, in actuality, it's a bunch of idiots giving crap data that you spend more time filtering out and more money to get enough right answers than just doing it yourself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1