6 Replies - 989 Views - Last Post: 02 October 2010 - 05:23 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Any good books

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:18 PM

Hello all,

I am having such a hard time understanding Deitel and Deitel "How to Program C++. Does any one knows of a book that help me understand C++? I want to understand the language not just type words and phrases. Just basic baby language books so a old lady can gain a skill not just pass a class.

Thank You

- Sharon
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Any good books

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Any good books

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:25 PM

Go into the C++ Forum and the C++ Programmers subforum, and search for "Books for Beginners." You will get tons of results, as this has been asked a ton. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:44 PM

My standard response to "good books" is Head First series from O'Reilly but they do not have any for C++. If you want a basic understanding then "The Idiots Guide" series of books is normally good. But for more usefulness once you understand the basics switch back to Deitel & Deitel. I really loved their C book so assume the C++ book is as good.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:10 PM

C++ How to Program 4th by Deitel and Deitel is an outstanding book. Dry - yes, Informative - very. Cant comment on the latest edition though. Honestly it sounds like you might need help with understanding programming and logic, not necessarily a particular language. Try either A) an easier language or B) pickup a book on "programming logic" so you can understand the concepts before you learn the semantics.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:14 PM

The series "Sam teachs yourself... in X days/hours" is the best book for beginners. I don`t know if we can post links to downloading but I have it in pdf, so if you need it let me know. Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:55 AM

View Postnmslave, on 29 September 2010 - 12:14 AM, said:

The series "Sam teachs yourself... in X days/hours" is the best book for beginners. I don`t know if we can post links to downloading but I have it in pdf, so if you need it let me know. Good luck!

I actually really disagree. They may get you far into a language so that you know a variety of things, but none of those topics are really hit home. They're more like a glancing blow. My first Java book was Sam's Teach Yourself Java in 21 Days because I was young then. Sure it was good, but I realized that a lot of simple topics I did not know thoroughly enough to write the most simple of applications. And don't even get me started on Sam's Game Programming in 24 hours. None of the code worked past Chapter 3. It was a massive disappointment. Most of my knowledge has come from DIC, Internet tutorials and the Core series.

The Core series is really good. Core Python is very thorough, while still letting you ponder and giving good coding examples for you to complete. Core Java is really good for the same reason.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:23 PM

I have never tried using C++, and I have definitely never read a C++ book. However, I can offer the knowledge that the two C++ based programming classes at my university both use a book called C++ Without Fear. I hope that helps!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1