4 Replies - 599 Views - Last Post: 27 September 2010 - 08:34 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Having problems with website in IE...

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:19 PM

So I had to make a multimedia project for english class comparing three colleges, so like the nerd I am I made a website. Only problem is, it works fine in firefox and chrome, but breaks badly in IE. The rotating images won't work, and the css layout looks like crap. I would fix this in class just by using firefox but the school only allows IE... Could anybody take a look and tell me what needs to be done to fix it?

site: http://www.english.m...-computing.info

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Having problems with website in IE...

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Having problems with website in IE...

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:29 PM

http://www.webcredib...-explorer.shtml

lots of fixes here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:00 PM

There are several fixes you need here...

1) Delete the DIV tags you have before and after your nav div.
2) Check your TOTAL width of the element with your graphics in it. You have 900px wide graphics but then pad it out with 25px left and right padding which is 950, but you are trying to specify it as 940px;
3) Try applying text-align 'center' on the body of the page and text-align 'left' on your grid_12 class so that it centers the page. Make sure to keep in the width and auto margins for compliance with non IE browsers.

Those fixes will get you very close to having something standard across all browsers and fix most of your issues. You have real problems with width here so double check all your element's widths by figuring in border, margin and padding + element widths.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:57 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. They worked great. I got the webpage to center, and the divs before and after the nav were not needed. But is there anything that could be done about the javascript images on the individual college sites?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:34 PM

Unfortunately you've been given wrong information. Trying to change markup that works in order to "fix" IE, the worst browser on the planet, is something you should never, ever do. If it works in a modern browser, anything but IE, then chances are there's nothing wrong with your markup.

Possibly the only thing wrong in your original markup is the lack of a doctype. Without one, IE doesn't attempt to perform like any other modern browser. Add this to your first line:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
   "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

Unforunately, you "fixed" working markup and this may scramble things up once again in IE but at least you're now standards compliant and out of 'quirks mode'. But the bugs and quirks in IE are well known, as are the hacks to fix it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1