Hacker

What does this word mean to you?

Page 1 of 1

14 Replies - 2702 Views - Last Post: 28 September 2010 - 08:11 AM

Poll: Essay topics (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Is the term "Hacker" accurately portrayed by the media?

1. Yes (1 votes [3.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

2. No (24 votes [85.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

3. Occasionally (3 votes [10.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.71%

Are Hackers accurately portrayed in film?

1. Yes (2 votes [7.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

2. No (20 votes [71.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

3. Occasionally (6 votes [21.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• The Sum over All Paths
  • member icon

• View blog

Hacker

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:08 AM

I am writing an essay for my writing class, and from the list of terms I chose Hacker. The topic I plan to explore is “How does the technological community view Hacking as opposed to the public community?". I thought this would be a great place to get some input, since most everyone here has some background in technology. I decided to post this in the Corner Cubicle because I know there are some who make a living off of legally "breaking" software. I would like to know what comes to mind when you hear or read this term. Do you believe the media accurately portrays the term, and those it reflects upon? Do you believe movies accurately portray hacking? Thank you in advance to all who provide feedback, I will PM certain people for follow up. Have a great morning and a great day!

-alias

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hacker

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hacker

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:10 AM

the term "hacker" (along with some others) is defined in RFC 1392. and as such should not be confused with "cracker".

This post has been edited by Dormilich: 27 September 2010 - 04:11 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:48 AM

A hacker was origionaly someone who built train sets.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:38 AM

Hackers build things, Crackers break them, some do both and those that can do neither (but pretend they can) are Script Kiddies.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• The Sum over All Paths
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:54 PM

Dormilich, thank you for RFC reference.
WolfCoder, I appreciate the distinction between the three. Do you believe the cracker/script kiddie gets credited as a hacker too often by film/media?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:29 PM

In computing, a hacker is a person in one of several distinct (but not completely disjoint) communities and subcultures:

People committed to circumvention of computer security. This primarily concerns unauthorized remote computer break-ins via a communication networks such as the Internet (Black hats), but also includes those who debug or fix security problems (White hats), and the morally ambiguous Grey hats. See Hacker (computer security).

A community of enthusiast computer programmers and systems designers, originated in the 1960s around the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)'s Tech Model Railroad Club (TMRC) and MIT Artificial Intelligence Laboratory.
This community is notable for launching the free software movement. The World Wide Web and the Internet itself are also hacker artifacts.[3] The Request for Comments RFC 1392 amplifies this meaning as "[a] person who delights in having an intimate understanding of the internal workings of a system, computers and computer networks in particular." See Hacker (programmer subculture).

The hobbyist home computing community, focusing on hardware in the late 1970s (e.g. the Homebrew Computer Club[4]) and on software (computer games,[5] software cracking, the demoscene) in the 1980s/1990s. The community included Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak and Bill Gates and created the personal computing industry.[6] See Hacker (hobbyist).

Wikipedia all up in this bitch. I generally associate it with the first definition.

This post has been edited by Dark_Nexus: 27 September 2010 - 03:30 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• kitties == adorable

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:17 PM

Some media doesn't get it right, for example i watch parent hood (a show on nbc) and in one episode they call guessing the password to get into their daughter's computer hacking it and then in some hidden camera show on nbc they mentioned that episode and said that they had to resort to hacking her computer. I was like that's not hacking that's guessing a password!

This post has been edited by Alex6788: 27 September 2010 - 04:18 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• if(coden4fun.NotTired){ ContinueToCode(); }
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:08 PM

Hacking, in a clear sense is essentially making anything do what it wasn't meant to do or suppose to do. Making your car run on hot oil, electricity (when it's not suppose to), or have your xbox run linux is hacking to me. Electronically, Mechanically modifying something to do what you want it to do when it wasn't intended for that purpose is hacking to me.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:28 PM

Check out this website. It is a website dedicated to teaching people how to hack their own websites for security reasons. If you know how to hack your own website then you know where the weaknesses are in the site and you can work to make it more secure. This is the kind of things that they teach. Check them out. Some of the people on there can hack virtually anything.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:59 PM

a "hack" may refer to works outside of computer programming. For example, a math hack means a clever solution to a mathematical problem.

It's more like how I see the term "hack".

http://en.wikipedia....logy%29#History
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Sum over All Paths
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:32 PM

Thank you everyone who responded or voted. It seems most of you agree that hacking is seldom portrayed accurately by film and almost never by the media. Thank you for the link RandomlyKnighted, I have been to hackthissite before. Have you done their basic challenges? It gives you a general idea about web security.

Do any of you believe the way hacking is portrayed by the media/film has negatively impacted how the general public views programmers? Have any of you experienced an association of yourself to someone who "cracks" software, simply because of your profession?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:31 PM

Your welcome and no I came across it a couple months ago but haven't had the chance to learn Javascript. I'm just now getting an opportunity to learn it but I'm just not sure how much I need to learn before starting the challenges. I just created my own website for the first time and I really want to learn how to make it more secure.

This post has been edited by RandomlyKnighted: 27 September 2010 - 07:32 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:03 AM

View Postalias120, on 27 September 2010 - 05:32 PM, said:

Do any of you believe the way hacking is portrayed by the media/film has negatively impacted how the general public views programmers? Have any of you experienced an association of yourself to someone who "cracks" software, simply because of your profession?

Never known a cracker in the professional world. But some old college friends were pretty hell bent on breaking anything they could get their hands on.

As media has begun slandering the hacker term some in the tech world were quick to slap on "White hat" hacking. Meaning the truth about hackers and also meaning the people who wanted to be crackers for the purpose of exposing errors to the software designers and helping fix them. This is the area that quickly becomes forgotten. Yahoo! has HackU days across the country that are about teaching college students how to use software to the fullest and work with computers to solve interesting problems. Also, Facebook is doing a "hacking" event soon. Not sure what all it entails but I believe the spirit is the same. Maybe through events like this we can take back the hacker name as being a good thing and correct public opinion/vernacular
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• kitties == adorable

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:07 AM

View PostRandomlyKnighted, on 27 September 2010 - 06:28 PM, said:

Check out this website. It is a website dedicated to teaching people how to hack their own websites for security reasons. If you know how to hack your own website then you know where the weaknesses are in the site and you can work to make it more secure. This is the kind of things that they teach. Check them out. Some of the people on there can hack virtually anything.

I joined that site a while ago it's pretty cool.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:11 AM

View PostAlex6788, on 28 September 2010 - 08:07 AM, said:

I joined that site a while ago it's pretty cool.

Yeah, I just started the basic missions last night. I got up to level 5 last night. Hopefully tonight I'll be able to finish the basic missions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1