2 Replies - 1305 Views - Last Post: 28 September 2010 - 07:29 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Why is the interface of a car with so many user controls better than t

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:59 PM

Hi there. Could you please help me figure out the best answer to this question:
A new car can have over hundred controls. For example, 10 controls for radio, 5-10 for heating and ventilation, 10 for windows, 10 for wipers, washers and so on. Most people can master these very quickly. Why is it that the car with so many controls is easier to use than a video recorder that has few controls. What makes the car's interface so good and that of the video recorder so bad.

Now here is the answer I have been able to come up with but i feel is it not enough to fetch me good mark. Take a look and see how best u can help me enhance my answer:

The many controls of the car enhance its flexibility and afford a lot of functionalities than the video recorder that has few controls. Users can do a lot more with little interaction with the carís interface. The video cameraís few controls makes it difficult to use and
Users of the car require a relatively less training to use than users of the video camera. The controls of the car enhance interactivity between users and its interface.

Thanks in advance for your help

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Why is the interface of a car with so many user controls better than t

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Why is the interface of a car with so many user controls better than t

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:09 PM

The controls for the car are for comfort & enjoyment. Very little of the added features ever require the user to do something new to maneuver the car. Hardly anyone drives manual anymore, automatic transmissions are the new standard. So with driving just being the gas, the break, & the wheel, it's only natural that we need to talk into the roof, & have GPS tell us when we are lost rather than looking at a map before we leave.

The features for the camera, on the other hand are for actual operation. The zoom is different, file storage, storage media, & menu interactions. Settings for the shutter... brightness, nigh vision, resolution, RGB settings... ALL I WANT TO DO IS RECORD MY CHILD HURTING HIMSELF!!! ARGG!!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Why is the interface of a car with so many user controls better than t

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:29 AM

I would also advocate a car's buttons are shallow in depth hence why there are so many, and a camcorder has fewer buttons that do more things (depth) in conjunction with other buttons.

The last thing I would want to do, while driving, is deal with some sort of menu tree when all I want to do it turn on my headlights.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1