2 Replies - 1552 Views - Last Post: 28 September 2010 - 07:20 AM

• Bassface
  • member icon

• View blog

Direction of programming?

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:29 AM

A friend at college was talking about how he loves PHP, Javascript and Ajax. After a bit of a discussion he said "Programming is going web based". This made me think of Chrome OS for example and how that may be come a trend for other organisations to follow.

What do you think?
Will the need for web programmers increase in the coming years and what benefits will this bring?

I was just curious to what others may think.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Direction of programming?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Direction of programming?

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:53 AM

I think the general direction of programming is heading towards the cloud. Nowadays you have a lot of platforms offering cloud based services like Windows Azure and Amazon.

I also think that more and more emphasis will be placed on Functional programming languages like F# and Clojure.

Just like procedural programming, object oriented programming will be heading out and making room for a new paradigm.

It's wise to invest in web development because the way I see it most of the services people need are going to be web-based, with their computers/hand held devices just acting as terminals to read the information they want.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Direction of programming?

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:20 AM

Most programming I have seen is trending toward more Functional languages. The other common thing I am seeing is more efficient/useful ways of working with large data sets. This is as Sergio Tapia said a result of going to the cloud.

However, I still program in C++ and C. The trend for working with these "new" ideas in programming will really be seen in newer companies and companies that are less about Scientific solutions and more about broad customer usage.

For example look at Mac iOS, it uses C, C++, and Objective C. It isn't so much about the direction of programming but understanding what idea of programming makes the most sense for the task that must be completed. Operating Systems will still need to be developed so you will still see Assembly and C being used. Websites will continue to exists so you will still see PHP, .NET, Ruby, etc. And yes Microsoft specific languages like .NET will still be used. So the question isn't what is the direction of programming, but more importantly what is YOUR direction in programming. And feel free to change that daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, or never.

And don't forget to enjoy it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1