Should we ban myspace threads?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 1992 Views - Last Post: 05 October 2006 - 04:57 PM

Poll: MySpace Threads (12 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Yes, no more myspace threads! (9 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. No, myspace deserves help too! (3 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:31 PM

Here's the thing, dream.in.code has always been a web development and programming forum. We've always shyed away from answering questions about skinning forums, or installing forum mods, and crap like that. I think MySpace falls in to a similar category, it's not really web development, and I don't think it has a place here at dream.in.code. We want to be a community of actual web developers and programmers, not a bunch of people who don't understand what CSS even stands for.

So, all in favor of locking and deleteing all myspace threads from now on, vote YES. Otherwise, vote NO and please share your reasoning.

(If we ban myspace questions, I will remove my tutorial which has attracted over 150,000 views to help stop the myspace questions)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Should we ban myspace threads?

• rÍvant.toujours
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Should we ban myspace threads?

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:35 PM

I like your tutorial but at the same time I think we should ban the questions.

maybe we can cheat and keep it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:36 PM

i say yes, get rid of them, they arent repeat users, most are drive-bys, and its not really helping anyone,
at the same time, i support dic getting those 150,000 + hits including those 1-3 % that go towards support it. :)

leave the tute, add some more ads and disable the register button for em . :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:38 PM

myspace, in its entirety, is a complete waste of effort, time, money, knowledge, and potential. and we should in no way help the degenerates who are too lazy to learn html so that they could, and this is a big if, help themselves.

if some people redirected the time and effort they invest in their myspace lives into important avenues, the world would be a much better place. because of this, we should do everything in our power to destroy that which is myspace.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:39 PM

View PostDark_Nexus, on 4 Oct, 2006 - 12:38 AM, said:

myspace, in its entirety, is a complete waste of effort, time, money, knowledge, and potential. and we should in no way help the degenerates who are too lazy to learn html so that they could, and this is a big if, help themselves.

if some people redirected the time and effort they invest in their myspace lives into important avenues, the world would be a much better place. because of this, we should do everything in our power to destroy that which is myspace.

Yes, myspace is s waste of knowledge and potential. It allows any bum/highschool football player to make their own webpage with no HTML experience. But, if we shun everybody away that asks about Myspace, and still wants to have their own webpage, then we haven't done our duty to show them the wonderful and empowering world of HTML.

We can just keep directing them to the Myspace tutorial. It will be obvious to them that this won't solve (most) of their problems. Maybe then they will realize how much of a joke myspace is.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Married Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2006 - 06:19 AM

I'm not sure about getting rid of the tutorial, but stopping the "How I make my myspace look like this?" would be nice!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2006 - 06:54 AM

Can we hang a sign on the front door that says "MySpace Info In Here" then when people ask... turn them away? Or do we need to create a forum dedicated to MySpace and just let those that want to answer those questions answer them. I don't like having all the questions cluttering the HTML forum.

Maybe a MySpace sub forum that doesn't show up on the homepage?!

Just throwing around ideas, I'll support whatever you guys think is best for the community.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:00 AM

I say no. I came here looking for some basic CSS help, although it was meant for myspace. The CSS I had written didn't work (turns out it was the #)

anywho, I have since gotten a lot of help from this site and become a much better programmer because of it. Had it not been for myspace help, I would have never found this place.

I agree that we could do without the "how do I make my myspace look like this" questions, but sometimes there are relatively valid questions about CSS or general web development that start with myspace and eventually lead to bigger and better things.

My suggestion would be that unless a person exerts some effort of code (you know, kind of like every other post on this site is supposed to) you could close it. But if there is some coding effort we would be going against what we stand for. I think a lot of us have become 'caffiene lounge-lazy' and don't feel like helping with the easy questions

just my opinion. take it or leave it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:01 AM

they dont get the forum system anyways, all of them go in through introduce .
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2006 - 01:14 PM

Ok, I've added a sub-forum to HTML/CSS/Javascript and moved about 30 threads in to it. This will keep the mindless myspace questions seperate from the real HTML and web development questions. I will most likely remove that forum from the homepage as well.

I hope that's a nice balance between removing them entirely, and just letting them go free.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Student of Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:00 PM

View Postskyhawk133, on 4 Oct, 2006 - 01:14 PM, said:

Ok, I've added a sub-forum to HTML/CSS/Javascript and moved about 30 threads in to it. This will keep the mindless myspace questions seperate from the real HTML and web development questions. I will most likely remove that forum from the homepage as well.

I hope that's a nice balance between removing them entirely, and just letting them go free.

I think you made the right move, even though I voted to get rid of them.

Besides, if it doesn't work out. We can always ban them or delete them later.

From a business aspect it drives more traffic to the site which in turn generates more $$. Kind of hard to say no to that........right?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:01 PM

Damn my late response to this one.

I don't think I agree with having a Myspace forum, or sub forum for that matter. That will just make it seem like we encourage more Myspace related threads. I don't like the Myspace threads being posted in the mainstream forums either, I don't know if it calls for a complete ban but I think I would like to see banning over more threads being created on the subject.

I don't mind seeing real tutorials on doing things in Myspace because at least in a tutorial you can explain the real technology that's being used and maybe just maybe they will learn something out of it. Answering the newly coined term 'drive-by's' question will only drive more drive-by's in the site, having a dedicated forum will only encourage them.

I've always agreed with DIC's stand on forum customization related banning, Myspace threads could definitely fit into that category.

We don't want to candy coat programming and give it a soft name, making it seem like every 12 year old who can customize their Myspace profile could be known as a programmer, so many other technology related topics are diluted as it is by these.... Kids.

However, since my response to this is so late and the sub forum was already made, I do like how it shows up in the site… It’s very hidden, and almost acts as a trashcan for the threads.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:07 PM

Marko,

I couldn't agree more. While I'm very tempted to just ban them, there does seem to be some legitimate interest in the technology, and like the_hangman said, if we can help 1 or 2 out of 100 people become legitimate programmers, then I think we've acheived our goal.

That said, I hope with a sub-forum, those that want to avoid the questions can, and those that want to answer them can. This way they aren't intermingled, and even if we "ban" them outright, we are still going to get the questions because we already know people don't read the damn rules, so we might as well try to make our lives a little easier for the short term.

I think replies in the myspace sub forum should be VERY focused on getting users involved with real CSS coding, and to understand how myspace works. But trust me when I say, you won't find me in there helping, because I'm just not interested in myspace. Think of the sub-forum as a little prison for all the stupid myspace threads we never want to see again ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:12 PM

Think of the sub-forum as a little prison for all the stupid myspace threads we never want to see again

Just send em' to Australia! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:24 PM

Noooooo, if you send them to australia they will multiply and destroy australia then some will evolve, become intellegent and swim to the mainland and destroy the world!!!!! :o

:hehe:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +