Python Helpful Resources

Full of chocolatey goodness

• (3 Pages)
  • +

33 Replies - 51624 Views - Last Post: 15 April 2015 - 04:52 PM Rate Topic: ***** 2 Votes

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Python Helpful Resources

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:51 AM

The O'Reilly might be a little out of date, I would check when the last update was issued. I'm hearing a lot of good things about Learning Python the Hard Way, and what I've looked at from it so far looks good. I'd start there - the free online edition. If I remember correctly, the MIT lectures referenced an earlier ediiton of Allen Downey's Think Python! book. The current edition of that one is also available as a free PDF, and might be worth your attention.

As for the python2/python3 - don't worry about the difference. Be aware of it, pick one, learn it, and then learn the differences in detail later on. I promise you you don't need to know about that now.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:04 AM

Hey jon, thanks! That was really helpful. I'm actually going through LPTHW right now. Although I'll admit, I'm doing it wrong. But I think I'm compensating plenty for doing it wrong. I'm using Python 3 instead of Python 2 and I'm using an IDE instead of Notepad++ and the command line. I've done it once with Ruby and I swore if I ever picked up this hobby again, I'd use an IDE. It's working really well for me so far and I'm understanding all I've encountered so far. I just haven't been able to pass arguments using argv because that has to be run through the command line. Another thing I'm doing is if I notice a difference between Python 2 and 3 (found out because my code won't run), I'll research it in detail and make sure I understand that specific difference before continuing. I know I really should do exactly what it says, but I chose not to and have created ways around the differences and obstacles.

Also, at the same time, I am working on a program of my own using what I have learned and researched online and understand (not putting anything in that I don't understand yet).

I will take a look at the Think Python! book. I just Googled it real quick while writing this and found it has 4 stars on Amazon and looks like a pretty in-depth book (from looking at the online PDF). It also looks like it goes into Tkinter a little which is great because my application I'm building will need to utilize a simple GUI.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2015 - 12:35 PM

I forgot about this course on Microsoft Virtual Academy. It's REALLY good for beginners. Watch each video and do what they're doing as they do it. You'll learn a lot.

Introduction to Programming with Python - MVA
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:52 PM

Here are some good tutorials https://pythonspot.com
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -