What are people watching animewise these days?

its been awhile for me

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

67 Replies - 7956 Views - Last Post: 04 October 2010 - 09:44 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: What are people watching animewise these days?

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:32 PM

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan yet, as it is relatively new, but is worth watching. Hulu is simul-casting it in pretty good quality, subbed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:40 PM

View PostChoscura, on 03 October 2010 - 01:27 PM, said:

No matter how cool something is in Japanese, it can only at best be partially translated to English/German/french/whatever.

Yes, anime encompasses a broad spectrum. Saying you're "into anime" is pretty much like saying "a fan of French Films." I'll watch anything from Jean-Pierre Jeunet or Luc Besson, but I'm not into French cinema in general. Almost any Eastern Block film should come with Prozac; same with most of the literature. Half the stuff I've seen on Filipino TV seems fueled by crack. Things from different cultures, regardless of the genre, will retain a distinct flavor of that culture.

In a sense, Japan is the polar opposite of US culture. And yet, many Japanese have a fascination with things American and many Americans with things Japanese. There is a strange element of different enough to be exotic and yet similar enough to be familiar.

I enjoy anime, to some extent, because it's Japanese. I've come to prefer subbed to dubbed; the rythym of the show is more clear, even if I don't follow the language. Also, "fan subbed" often means "less Americanized," which is much more interesting.

While the majority of anime popular here is fantasy and scifi; some of the best examples aren't. "Grave of the Fireflies" is one of the powerful movies I've ever seen. "Tokyo Godfathers" is a Christmas movie that Hollywood can only aspire to, and yet is uniquely Japanese.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:18 PM

View Postsupersloth, on 02 October 2010 - 01:41 AM, said:

...(about guy with laptop)
anyway, this thread makes me think of that guy.

He sounds familiar. Too bad he doesn't realize that two people who watch Anime can be vastly different people that can drive one another crazy. Take me and ccubed, for example.

He should just break down and start looking in personals or at least be the one striking up conversations with other people. When you have your headphones on at a laptop, people will usually leave you alone.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 私もクールです

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:04 PM

@baavgai that movie is one of two movies that I like but refuse to watch. The other being where the red fern grows. also voices of a distant star.

So, yet again my hypocrisy comes out, I am a cafeteria anime watcher, I will give shows a try but some shows are not my cup of tea.

Another note: FlCl anyone?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:46 PM

View PostWolfCoder, on 03 October 2010 - 06:18 PM, said:

When you have your headphones on at a laptop, people will usually leave you alone.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#66 Lemur  Icon User is online

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:39 AM

Gundam 00, Break Blade, Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom, Deathnote, Hellsing OVA, Trinity Blood, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, Hajime no Ippo, Bakuman, Sengoku Basara.

Most of my top list, trying not to include ones the OP already stated.

Basara is an amazing one for sure, if you liked Kenshin or Champloo you'll love it.

Hellsing I would recommend against if you're not at least 16 because graphic doesn't begin to describe it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:58 AM

@blutrane: Which one? Fireflies? Well, it's damn depressing. It did impress me as being side agnostic. You don't really know who is the enemy and it doesn't really matter that it takes place in Japan. It's about people; specifically the impact on those left behind.

FLCL is interesting. If anything probably fails in translation, it does. There are so many cultural references and language puns; I don't think anyone who doesn't live in Japan totally gets it.

There's a lot of anime not to my taste. What can I tell you, I don't have a fetish for jailbait in high school uniforms; though it seems a lot of Japan does. The hentai stuff is disturbing and the sensibility can leak out into more mainstream stuff.

I rather like Hellsing; manga, first anime, and current OVA. The current one is the most graphically violent and certainly not for the feint of heart. I'm not sure I dig the Nazi thing, though at least their bad guys.

A curiosity of anime is that Nazi history is clearly less demonized than in the West. You'll find little WWII references that will bring you up short, sometimes. ( e.g. Space Battleship Yamato, known as Star Blazers, when I was a kid. ) I was struck by how SS like the air ship commander uniforms were in the Last Exile.

Of course, FMA takes place in what is basically a Nazi world. Our heroes are mostly Germanic, with Roy Mustang being a notable exception. The genocide of Ishbalanl; Jews? There's a whole lot of Goebbels style alchemist's running about, as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#68 Lemur  Icon User is online

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:44 AM

Conqueror of Shambala, the FMA movie, definitely confirms that point.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First